Author Topic: Wondershare appservices virus or just a pain in the neck I want it gone  (Read 5826 times)

REDACTED

have run AdwCleaner, log attached

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
How is your system running now?
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

To be honest, I am reluctant to even turn it on. This has been the first time that I have had any such  problem, I am very careful and I don't understand how it can be that  wondershare had apparently been running on my  PC since January with me being completely unaware, until last week, it really doesn't bear thinking about and it has knocked my confidence a bit.

Will any of my files have been infected?

Also, will any of my files have been shared on the web?

Will I be getting a visit from the Vice Squad  ::)

Perhaps I should encrypt my files?  If so, can you recommend a good encrypter?

Given that I had to uninstall Duplicate Cleaner and Quick Time are these files bad or can they be reinstalled?

It is now 3am, it's too late now, I suppose I'll  have to pluck up the courage and try it out in the afternoon.  I will reply when it's been running for a while, in the meantime I would really appreciate it if you could comment on my concerns please?

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
To be honest, I am reluctant to even turn it on. This has been the first time that I have had any such  problem, I am very careful and I don't understand how it can be that  wondershare had apparently been running on my  PC since January with me being completely unaware, until last week, it really doesn't bear thinking about and it has knocked my confidence a bit.

Will any of my files have been infected?
You really did not have any infection.  You had part of some free application that did not get removed when the rest of application was uninstalled.

Also, will any of my files have been shared on the web?
Again, this was not that type of issue.  Your files appear to not have been a target at all.
Will I be getting a visit from the Vice Squad  ::)
Not about this incident.
Perhaps I should encrypt my files?  If so, can you recommend a good encrypter?
Encryption is a good idea but even better is backing-up your data.  You can check out Paragon, Acronis and Macrum Refect for some good Home User backup software.
Given that I had to uninstall Duplicate Cleaner and Quick Time are these files bad or can they be reinstalled?
Quick Time is no longer being updated by Apple and is a security risk.  Duplicate Cleaner is a "free" software that includes adware programs.
It is now 3am, it's too late now, I suppose I'll  have to pluck up the courage and try it out in the afternoon.  I will reply when it's been running for a while, in the meantime I would really appreciate it if you could comment on my concerns please?

UNderstood and will check later to see if you need anything else.
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE