Author Topic: The strangest thing  (Read 11157 times)

dadkins_1

The strangest thing
« on: December 19, 2003, 12:26:22 AM »
I just started my system and the little blue window that pops up when the program updates poped up and said there was a new program available for download from the web. It said I should click on the window to update the program, so I did.

After a few seconds the small download window said the program was already up to date...???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:The strangest thing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 12:31:11 AM »
Please try again;

It takes about 20 minutes to fully update all our download servers; the servers are chosen randomly when you are updating avast. And you had the luck to be one of the first - you know, we have just released the Dec2003 update... :) So it's likely that the info that something's new was received from one of the servers that were already updated, and the updater itself chose a different server that still didn't have the latest data...

Nice! :)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

dadkins_1

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 01:15:32 AM »
Thanks, I will try to manually update and see what happens. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

It updated, pretty fast too!

Thank you as always!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 01:21:03 AM by dadkins_1 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 01:34:50 AM »
Please try again;

It takes about 20 minutes to fully update all our download servers; the servers are chosen randomly when you are updating avast. And you had the luck to be one of the first - you know, we have just released the Dec2003 update... :) So it's likely that the info that something's new was received from one of the servers that were already updated, and the updater itself chose a different server that still didn't have the latest data...

Nice! :)

Vlk

Thanks Vlk, I suppose, as usual, if I download the full update I'll receive the new version 4.1.319 despite of what the webpage is saying (4.1.304). Am I correct?

dadkins, the update of today won't be so 'quick' and 'fast' because all program must be updated (including the virus database).  8)

The best things in life are free.

dadkins_1

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 01:48:40 AM »
It only took 24 seconds...4.1.319 and Toolkit 1.9.4.0 with ActiveSkin version 4.2.7.3...works for me!

Thanks all!

Have A Happy Holiday Season!

David

Walker

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 01:57:39 AM »
I suppose, as usual, if I download the full update I'll receive the new version 4.1.319 despite of what the webpage is saying (4.1.304). ..

Tech,

I suppose you are like me and tried the beta version. Are we still on beta now, or has it reverted to a normal release version?. I think it was todays update when the beta was due to go 'production release' yes?

W.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 02:03:35 AM »
I suppose, as usual, if I download the full update I'll receive the new version 4.1.319 despite of what the webpage is saying (4.1.304). ..

Tech,

I suppose you are like me and tried the beta version. Are we still on beta now, or has it reverted to a normal release version?. I think it was todays update when the beta was due to go 'production release' yes?

W.

Do you remember that servers.def file we have 'changed'? So, it was 'updated' and now we move from beta to the normal release version (4.1.319)...  8)

John-

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2003, 02:05:15 AM »
Just wondering,... who's voice is it who says the "update-thing".
Avast Staff or a computer animated voice?   ???

might be bit off topic,...but hey, I am curious to know  ;)

greetz

John-

Walker

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 02:17:57 AM »
I've never heard it John.. .. got my sound muted. Have I missed anything good  ;)

W.

techie101

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2003, 03:40:51 AM »
Walker,

The 319 is the final release off the beta.

John,

The voice is computer generated as far as I know.

My computer downloaded the 319 in relatively short time.

techie
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 03:42:10 AM by techie101 »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2003, 04:26:56 AM »
Ok, another maybe-silly question (and no, I'm not trying for the Guinness Book with those  ;D )

I assume that once your servers are updated (tomorrow if not sooner, if I understand correctly), then the ask-when-available will be back to normal for program updates?
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2003, 01:21:43 AM »
Mike, as I said, it only takes less than half an hour for our servers to be updated, not days!  :)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2003, 01:35:43 AM »
My apologies, Vlk, guess I misunderstood what was possibly two different cross-conversations at the same time.  You did say it took about 20 minutes to update all your servers -- but somewhere along the line you or someone had also referred to the servers being updated "tomorrow" (this was last night, my time).

In any event, I got the 319 just fine this morning using manual update -- think I got just a glimpse of the "advise-when-ready" notice before that, although it looks like there was also a new database update today.

I think part of the communication problem might be the time-zone differences -- I'm in Canada/US Eastern time (UT-5), while if I'm not mistaken most of you, at least the Alwil team, are "over there".

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2003, 01:42:10 AM »
I think part of the communication problem might be the time-zone differences -- I'm in Canada/US Eastern time (UT-5), while if I'm not mistaken most of you, at least the Alwil team, are "over there".

Yep, 'over here' at UTC+1 :)
I think that makes a good reason to move my body to the bed now - it's 1:42am here... ;D

Best,
Vlk

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2003, 01:45:59 AM »

Yep, 'over here' at UTC+1 :)
I think that makes a good reason to move my body to the bed now - it's 1:42am here... ;D

Best,
Vlk

We'll be always thank for you hard work Vlk...
Right now, I have to finish that 17Mb download of full languages of avast! and have a try... Good night and best dreams...  8)