Author Topic: Email Infections not my email address  (Read 2198 times)

REDACTED

Email Infections not my email address
« on: June 18, 2017, 09:39:11 PM »
Hi
I have set up an email on my dedicated server pm@domainname.com - after downloading and installing Avast and after doing a full scan and enabling all 'Sheilds' I am getting about 8 infections blocked that are being sent to root@domainname.com and also to postmaster@domainname.com about every 5 mins - none of these email addresses exist and are not set up on my server or my email application (Spark) on the iMac - the infections being flagged by Avast is alway's 'Win32: Malware-gen and the file is always IMG_5464.ZIP/IMG_4892.exe.
The only change with each infection filename in the email is the first 4 numbers marked by x's here IMG_xxxx.ZIP/IMG_4892.exe.
None of these emails ever land in my inbox, in the app on my machine or on the server - i have deleted and reinstalled Avast thinking that may solve the problem but it hasn't. They are all sent from a various amount of email addresses maybe a dozen and every time a new load arrives it's the same email addresses that are sending them from previous.The red label that pops up on the desktop is attached for anyone's perusal - any help would be welcome. Thank you

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Email Infections not my email address
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 09:45:45 PM »
Try access your mail account from webmail and delete detected mails from there if you see them

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:46:07 PM »
There is no problem with avast.
avast is detecting them correctly.

Very likely it is a spambot that is sending them
https://www.reverse.it/sample/5f9bb22609cc1ff66ec4f521e78756e5218b7099bd3ce277ce1e0fea516b953a?environmentId=100
http://www.malware-traffic-analysis.net/2017/06/14/index2.html
etc.

There is nothing you can do about it.
It is like me sending you a email.
You can't prevent me from sending it.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 10:08:39 PM »
These emails that Avast is indicating never land in my inbox on my server or my email application (Spark) on my machine?