Author Topic: Confusing "update settings"  (Read 5990 times)

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
Confusing "update settings"
« on: December 19, 2003, 01:45:08 AM »
In the "Update (connetions)" dialog you can cross out for none, one or both of the choices "I only connect using a dial-up modem" and "my computer is permanently connected to the internet" and I find that a bit confusing.

My computer has a permanent connection (cable) BUT it's switched off most off the time. AND when I cross out for "permanently conneted" I don't get the updates when I turn it one and it connects (even if there are update).

Whould I instead choos "dial-up" or both - or none?

What effects does the choices have on the "check-for-updates" procedure avast! uses ?
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Confusing "update settings"
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 02:20:13 AM »
In the "Update (connetions)" dialog you can cross out for none, one or both of the choices "I only connect using a dial-up modem" and "my computer is permanently connected to the internet" and I find that a bit confusing.

My computer has a permanent connection (cable) BUT it's switched off most off the time. AND when I cross out for "permanently conneted" I don't get the updates when I turn it one and it connects (even if there are update).

Whould I instead choos "dial-up" or both - or none?

What effects does the choices have on the "check-for-updates" procedure avast! uses ?

I never tried the two options at the same time...
When permanently connected, avast! checks the update after 20 seconds it detects a connection (standard delay). New update will be tried in 4 hours. When you choose 'dial-up', the same 20 seconds delay and each connection will check for updates or, at least, 4 hours between two checks.

To remove the update error, the best thing is, open the avast4.ini file, go to [AAVM] section and add the following line:

SuppressUpdateErrorInfo=1

More information about the avast4.ini file you can see here  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 02:31:34 AM »
I got no error and np update several minutes after I booted, but when I chose a manual update it came at once :-(

What happends with the standard setting (none of the "connetions" options marked). Will it still check?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 02:48:07 AM by Lars-Erik »
www.osterud.name - ICQ: 7297605 - AIM/Yahoo/Facebook/Skype/Astra: LarsErikOsterud

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 02:34:35 AM »
I got no error and np update several minutes after I booted, but when I chose a manual update I came at once :-(

What happends with the standard setting (none of the "connetions" options marked). Will it still check?

I think it depends on your settings: Automatic, Manual, Ask on the Update (Basic) page. What have you set?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lars-Erik

• Avast Evangelist
    • Lars-Erik Østerud
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 02:36:32 AM »
"Automatic" for virus signatur file.
"Ask" for program updates.

Walker

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 02:44:28 AM »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 03:44:54 AM by Walker »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2003, 03:23:12 AM »
There's a thought for the "Wish list".  Any reason the Connections choices can't be mutually exclusive, so that if you select one it de-selects the others?  Or are there circumstances where you might actually benefit from two choices ticked?

It never occurred to me that you could have both "dial-up" and "always connected" ticked at the same time, so natually I never wondered what happened if you have both ticked.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent