Author Topic: Avastd for Linux crashed twice for us last night  (Read 8089 times)

dieyouspammer

Avastd for Linux crashed twice for us last night
« on: April 07, 2006, 06:51:02 PM »
We've got Avast 1.0.6 running on two Redhat 9 servers.  One of the sytems updated the vps database at 2:00 and then avastd crashed with an "Unknown Error."  The other one wasn't able to update the vps database until 5:00 - the avastd daemon crashed right afterwards with the same error.  This happend to us earlier this month - I think on a Windows 2000 system. 

Any ideas on what we chould check for these?  Don't get me wrong - it's been very very very stable for us for a long time.  Just that 3 times in 30 days is very out of character for this application.
-Eric

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avastd for Linux crashed twice for us last night
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 09:33:48 PM »
Let me try to understand, you're using avast for Linux in a server?
Was that computer with Windows 2000 part of this network?
Is this a home network?
The best things in life are free.

Dublin

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 11:06:28 AM »
please, upgrade to the latest available version

dieyouspammer

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 07:56:55 PM »
I've installed the latest version on a test system, and we'll update the production servers real soon.  Didn't realize our installation was as old as it was.  (And like I said - it's been problem free for a few years now.)

BTW - the vpsupdate perl script has had a lot of nice work put into it since the 1.0.6 version!  Was a pleasure (and learning experience) to read through.

Dublin

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 02:36:36 PM »
NOTE: there is a new version prepared to release. It will fix some bugs and enhance security. The release date was moved to this week.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 02:56:52 PM by dublin »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 08:44:19 PM »
NOTE: there is a new version prepared to release. It will fix some bugs and enhance security. The release date was moved to this week.
Dublin, is there any way to automatically update the program on Linux or just the database?
Sorry for the silly newbie Linux user question  :-[

Dublin

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 03:03:12 PM »
Only the database. The cron daemon is used for this purpose.
You can read README file in libavastengine package for more information about updating the file. The cron is scheduled to look for a new VPS file four times a day during installation of libavastengine package. You can change the command by running
  % crontab -e

You can also add a new job into crontab, if you want to automate downloading the latest database file for the workstation version. If you can't access the cron table under your login name, log in as 'root' and add your username to the cron group:
  % gpasswd -a your_username cron

then logout from 'root' account and run:
  % crontab -e

and create cron job (for example):
  0 0,12 * * * /usr/bin/avast-update

this line will schedule the cron to update VPS file two times every day
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 03:05:30 PM by dublin »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 03:46:36 AM »
Only the database. The cron daemon is used for this purpose.
Thanks... I've copied the info but, in fact, I think four times a day is more than enough for a Linux update.
It's a pity that the program itself couldn't be updated as well...

Culpeper

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 07:45:46 PM »
Right now I would turn off any automatic updating until the program is working properly.  Each release to solve bugs create new bugs that are obvious during installation or initial use.  To tell the truth, I don't know why Avast is spending resources on a project that is so "hit-and-miss".  Especially, for an operating system that can live without it.