Author Topic: web and network shield  (Read 10967 times)

drhayden1

web and network shield
« on: April 08, 2006, 03:55:35 AM »
 how can i tell if my web and network shields are working correctly......i have detailed checked on web shield and i never see anything(what does it do?)and the network shield...........i never see any item where it says last scanned..........standard shield ......have that detailed checked and no problem..........but leave the detailed unchecked....gets annoying........ :o 8)

drhayden1

Re: web and network shield
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 04:06:03 AM »
i was just looking at the run time of each of the 7 providers and each were on the same run time(1:13:00)
except web mail which is @21:00 at present.........and all the sensitivity in all the providers are set to high.......is this o.k.?????
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 10:55:05 AM by drhayden1 »

Jarmo P

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 12:11:16 PM »
You would not normally see an alert from network shield.
If you do, it is most likely a not working firewall/exposing yourself to net otherwise when not needed.

So be happy ;)

EDIT
If you dont see any scanned message from web shield provider status screen, then it is not working for you.
With XP and i think win2000 systems it is automatic, for win 9x including Me you have to make it yourself:
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

Best wishes, Jarmo
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 12:33:06 PM by Jarmo P »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 12:44:26 PM »
Go here to test webshield:

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Go to the bottom of the page and click on eicar.com.

Sensitivity is probably best left to medium; having it on high may slow your computer down, but it's up to you to decide.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Jarmo P

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 12:51:37 PM »
As Frank told you can and should go to that web page and test your antivirus.
With webshield working, you should get an abort connection alert.
If you get some other alert from standard shield, then webshield is not working for you.

emy80

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 01:08:46 PM »
Go here to test webshield:

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Go to the bottom of the page and click on eicar.com.

Sensitivity is probably best left to medium; having it on high may slow your computer down, but it's up to you to decide.

Hello! I did the test. i went to the site and tried downloading the file eicar.com of 68 bites. Avast opened a window telling me that the file was infected. So far so good. I got a little window in the lower right corner telling me that the file was infected byt eicar not a virus.
The windows Avast poppe out had a button saying abort connection. I clicked on it expecting the virus warning to go away. it did but then the Windows donload window appeared. the one saying, save file or cancel. If made a mistake and selected save file I would get infected! Why! I expected Avst to simply delete the download. not to say "hey that's infected" and then keeping the option save file open is it risky? If I rightclick the Avst icon on the Tray bar I can see that Web Shield found the infected file and the URL of the page. But i could have still downloaded it.  :'( Is there something wrong in my Avast Setting. Everything is set to hight.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 01:11:34 PM by emy80 »

Jarmo P

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 01:17:57 PM »
I guess there is something wrong in your avast setup if after webshield warning you were still given the option to save the file in your computer.
But as you go and try to work out what is wrong, that file you downloaded is harmless, only an agreed test file signature there.

EDIT:
Eicar was made for all antivirus companies as an universal test antivirus signature containing file. The link Frank gave is safe.
Not maybe something you find googling as an answer.
Sure first found links are safe, but better beware everything ;)
So you readers use that link.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 01:48:49 PM by Jarmo P »

emy80

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 01:46:24 PM »
I'd like to know if there is some setting I have to change. i left all the dafault ones. But I'm still kind of anxious. I know it was harmless. But what if something serious will be detect?  :'(

Nevermind I found this post:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=19178.0
i hope someone will be able to help. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 01:53:27 PM by emy80 »

Jarmo P

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 01:54:45 PM »
emy, i think you will have to wait the answers from the other regular posters in this forum like Tech.
I ask you only this  ....  you dont have any other antivirus running/left uninstalled that might have caused this thing?

After aborting the connection to eicar site, still getting the chance to download it?
Some programs you have running?

Some conflict there seems to be with avast and other installed programs learning from your posts. Then again there are virus infected machines :(   Not suspecting yours is one, just a note that i think is far out in your case.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 02:05:37 PM by Jarmo P »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 02:01:44 PM »
I'd like to know if there is some setting I have to change. i left all the dafault ones. But I'm still kind of anxious. I know it was harmless. But what if something serious will be detect?  :'(
Indeed strange that after the 'abort connection' the file is there but, maybe, the second window for download file was in a secure connection (HTTPS).
Two messages could not be related. I mean, WebShield detects and abort a page load. Other browser window, other connection, made another download, clean (maybe).
The best will be a full avast scanning (archives included).
If you can, you should schedule a boot time scanning with avast.
And, the last, I would recommend Ewido and A-squared as trojans/malware free detectors.
The best things in life are free.

emy80

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 02:02:29 PM »
emy, i think you will have to wait the answers from the other regular posters in this forum like Tech.
I ask you only this  ....  you dont have any other antivirus running/ledt uniinstalled that might have caused this thing?

After aborting the connection to eicar site, still getting the chance to download it?
Some programs you have running?

All the programs in my signature are running. So far nothing bad happened aside a little problem with ZA that's not related to Avast.
I reformatted the pc last friday so I had a clean install of Avst. No other AV running nor installed previously. I've used Avst for two month previously with ZA and all was ok. granted I never visited infected site. the fact that at least Avst Web Shield gives me a warning is ok. I can always abourt the connection manually. but this make me a bit anxious. I know the best antivirus out there is me, with my actions, being able to accept or abort something. but this is annoying. Well.....at least Web Shield got the warning.

emy80

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 02:08:23 PM »
Indeed strange that after the 'abort connection' the file is there but, maybe, the second window for download file was in a secure connection (HTTPS).
Two messages could not be related. I mean, WebShield detects and abort a page load. Other browser window, other connection, made another download, clean (maybe).
The best will be a full avast scanning (archives included).
If you can, you should schedule a boot time scanning with avast.
And, the last, I would recommend Ewido and A-squared as trojans/malware free detectors.

Hi tech! Thanks for the advices. I have Ewido running in real time protection. Since I just selected cancel I din't download the file. I used the normal http connection. What's confusing me is why, even if Avast saw the file coming it just said it's infected without taking precautions. I'm not particulary concerned over the eicar file and no eicar file was found in my system. I'll wait for the next Avast version and try the test again. Maybe that will work. As long as Web Shield gives me a warning I'm ok.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 02:22:06 PM by emy80 »

Jarmo P

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 02:28:04 PM »
emy, let us know if you find a solution ;)
It is really important to others reading this thread too.

until then i hush up as is my style, heh
Nice changing words with you.

Jarmo

emy80

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 02:32:18 PM »
emy, let us know if you find a solution ;)
It is really important to others reading this thread too.

until then i hush up as is my style, heh
Nice changing words with you.

Jarmo

I've got screenshots. Still editing those. i'll post them in the other topic. So far I've tried blocking the site and for the Blocked URL option Avast web Shield is working great! I think it's something that even if not common, Avast tech need to look out for. It can bring people to not trust Avast anymore. I think that at least, if the Web shield detected it it's ok.

Jarmo P

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 02:42:02 PM »
Sometimes, I have thought so too.
That problem is with programs and many times it is.
Far too many times it has been though the human error I have myself maked.
But emy, if you found something new, we are all interested.
Heh, I dont trust avast 100 %, it is after all only a program.