Author Topic: web and network shield  (Read 10968 times)

emy80

Re: web and network shield
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2006, 02:57:17 PM »
Sometimes, I have thought so too.
That problem is with programs and many times it is.
Far too many times it has been though the human error I have myself maked.
But emy, if you found something new, we are all interested.
Heh, I dont trust avast 100 %, it is after all only a program.

i'm not a tech nor I want my pc to get infected with something just trying to find a possible glitch with Avst web shield. I tried again since i know eicar is not a real virus. but I didn't find a solution. well...thanks anyway.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2006, 03:05:09 PM »
What's confusing me is why, even if Avast saw the file coming it just said it's infected without taking precautions.
It did take the precautions, it abort the connection of the browser...
That particular infected file/link was not activated.
If you do the test now, don't you get the abort window again?
The best things in life are free.

emy80

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2006, 03:07:40 PM »
What's confusing me is why, even if Avast saw the file coming it just said it's infected without taking precautions.
It did take the precautions, it abort the connection of the browser...
That particular infected file/link was not activated.
If you do the test now, don't you get the abort window again?

Nope. Still the same. At least I can abort the connection manually.

drhayden1

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2006, 05:16:24 PM »
its working now......had to go to internet options and open port 12080.......both the standard and web shields are working now...........thanks out there in the avast world! ;D :D ;)

emy80

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006, 05:23:02 PM »
its working now......had to go to internet options and open port 12080.......both the standard and web shields are working now...........thanks out there in the avast world! ;D :D ;)

just a question...did you do the test?

drhayden1

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2006, 06:05:19 PM »
no.... cause i did'nt like the part at the end saying about maybe not possible to delete files from your pc.....didn't feel to safe about that end? :'(

drhayden1

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2006, 06:15:23 PM »
one more question???or should i start a new topic???what is the p2p and outlook/exchange used for......is that for outlook express and incredimail or something different???(i use both)and if not used can i terminate the shields?............

emy80

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2006, 06:20:16 PM »
one more question???or should i start a new topic???what is the p2p and outlook/exchange used for......is that for outlook express and incredimail or something different???(i use both)and if not used can i terminate the shields?............

I think you can terminate the shield you feel you don't really need. if you don't use p2p software you can terminate that shield. I personally leave all of them active. Can be a bit heavy on the resources but I prefere that than risking.
I know how you felt. When I got the message Save or cancel in the donload I choosed cancel. i think Avast can very well detect that file in the HD and delete it. but better safe than sorry.

drhayden1

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2006, 06:28:28 PM »
thanks emy80.......i'll leave them on or active or whatever the word is for it..........one more thing......how does network shield work.....have never seen any last scanned but it's running//......do you have home or pro......i went pro after home for @2 years :P

emy80

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2006, 06:48:14 PM »
thanks emy80.......i'll leave them on or active or whatever the word is for it..........one more thing......how does network shield work.....have never seen any last scanned but it's running//......do you have home or pro......i went pro after home for @2 years :P

oh! I have home. So i don't see a network protection. And I have just a PC at home. I don't have a home network. Sorry.
I like Avast for all the option it has. I can't wait for the next version.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2006, 07:29:27 PM »
How does network shield work.....have never seen any last scanned but it's running//......do you have home or pro......i went pro after home for @2 years :P

Network Shield is a protection against known Internet worms/attacks. It analyses all network traffic and scans it for malicious contents. It can be also taken as a lightweight firewall (or more precisely, an IDS - Intrusion Detection System). Basically, it covers all Internet worms. Such as Win32.CodeRed, Win32.SQLSlammer, Win32.Blaster, in32.Welchia (Nachi) and Win32.Sasser.

So, if you're using a 3rd party firewall, you won't see activity of the Netshield as the firewall blocks the invasion before.

drhayden1

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2006, 11:19:27 PM »
tech............i'm using the security in my router......wep and spi firewall and have windows firewall off so they won't conflict................that's why my network shield is my working as you said............so there is not a problem................right?????!!!!!................thanks again avast world :( :(

timcan

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2006, 11:39:21 PM »
tech............i'm using the security in my router......wep and spi firewall and have windows firewall off so they won't conflict................that's why my network shield is my working as you said............so there is not a problem................right?????!!!!!................thanks again avast world :( :(
Hello, no problems or conflicts with this setup.In fact you can turn the xp firewall back on with no conflict to the router. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2006, 04:36:42 PM »
so there is not a problem................right?????!!!!!
Yes, it's ok, there is not a problem  8)