Author Topic: Avast + add'lr anti programs installed, now avast can't scan properly  (Read 19266 times)

CharleyO

Yes, Red, it should spin from time to time even on this forum ... provided, of course, as TedNelly suggests, that Web Shield is activated.

Wulf

Hi Red,
The program freezing now could be due to the latest updates as suggested by Spiritsongs, providing of course, that you have downloaded them. Otherwise, as you have a new system it may not be configured properly. As you are running 2000 Pro and you seem to be having memory problems ( the Operating system) checking out your page file settings may be worth your while. They are not automatically optimized in Windows 2000. This link will help you. http://web.ukonline.co.uk/cook/Pagefile.htm
As for the 7 providers in Avast, 6 running is normal. The 7th on my computer is the Outlook/Exchange  provider which only runs if you use these programs, otherwise it displays the message, The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start.
This can be verified by double clicking the the blue Avast ball and a provider interface will appear on your screen. By clicking on the different provider icons you will get info on their status and also be able to customize their settings. You will also see the last file scanned by that provider.
 :)

mauserme

Hey Red,

The blue avast! icon spins when your computer is active - opeing a file, changing web pages, etc.  If your computer is idle it will be too (but keep in mind there are background processes that cause activity you might not be aware of).

Regarding the freezes, if you right click My Computer, click Manage, and expand the Event Viewer do you see any memory related errors or warnings about the time you freeze?

RichmondRed

WTG VARSITY SQUAD!! ;D  I'm impressed! :o Y'all know some serious stuff about computers!  Here's hoping I'm learning as we go and think I am--scary, ain't it :o

The WebShield is rockin' it just scanned the link you sent me Wulf on "optimizing my 2000"  ;) Thank you for that, GREAT INFO Bud! ;D  And you're right, from what I just read and went to take a look see, this is what I found:

Its set at 192 MB under performance options.

So that needs to be fixed for sure!

Hey M, went into control panel and in my 2000, I found the "event Viewer" with a BOATLOAD of information!!! There is so much stuff there I wouldn't even begin to know where to start.  I found when I right clicked on topics,and then selected properties, it gave me an explanation but all of it is in computer jargon--any suggestions on how to decipher any of it?

Spiritsong,  nope, didn't download nada on the updates.  First, it showed me "0MB, 0 Min's remaining to install."  The 2nd go round, it came up with what looked to be this:

%.@$, etc.  :-\and got out of it quick, so thought I better leave well enough alone till I talked to you guys.

Charley and TedNelly, yep, everything is  8) on the Avast system icon now.  Although it only turns here on the site--at times--when I leave the site, she's rollin' ;D ;)  Whew, that took a lot off my mind  in worrying if my baby was protected.  Also checked all settings and every one of them is on "High"  I don't use Outlook Express at all as I'm using Mozilla's Thunderbird and love it! ;)

Well Team, with all I've given you with what I've found, where do you think this leaves us now?

I definitely need to go to "Performance Options" and do an expansion.  I now know the blue Avast icon is  8)  But, pertaining to the "system freezing" location under Event Viewer, I'm at a loss, BIG TIME!  Is there anyway of sending you guys anything so you can look at it?  Is that ok to do?  Never asked the question before, so didn't know if it is done or not?

DavidR, I also wanted to thank you and CharleyO, and I don't think I did previously, about my concerns regarding a firewall.  With Avast! recently scanning and freezing, I was leery about installing ZoneAlarm as yet, what are your thoughts?

Also, I'm curious about something.  What does it mean concerning Avast being "a bloated software suite."  Just curious :)

As always Varsity, thanks for everything.  Looking forward to hearing from you again.

P.S.  Didn't see this when I initially came on line but my Niece left me a note this morning--she said the antivirus worked fine, it took 21:34 to scan the files and came up with ZERO infections!! woohoo!! Think we're home free now and I can get rolling on my firewall and start the book or do you think tweaking is in order first?  Perhaps a little extra time thrown in for good measure making sure all is running smoothly? 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 08:35:38 PM by RichmondRed »

CharleyO

Hi Red,

If it were me, I would now install the free version of Zone Alarm right away. For a couple of days, ZA will give pop-ups on every program that tries to leave your computer for the interenet. With a little "teaching" over a few days, ZA will stop giving those as it will have learned what to let out and what to keep in. You can "teach" ZA by using the little check box on each pop-up you get. By the checkbox, it says something like "Remember this decision." Be sure to read on the pop-up what program it is that wants access to the internet. Use you best judgement on what to let out and in a few days ZA will hardly ever bother you again. Of course, any Avast service/program is safe and most will have to be let out in order for avast to work correctly. Other programs would include but not be limited to ... Windows Update (or others such as Defender, Error Reporting, etc), Ad-Aware & other security programs, IE or browser of choice (though I make these ask each time by not using the check box), and ZA itself.

Bloatware is a program that has too many features or so many features that none of them do a good job. Generally speaking, standing alone programs are more efficient and easier to control. Also, with stand alone programs, you get to use what suits you best instead of having to use programs/applications included in bloatware that may not be as you want them.

mauserme

Its set at 192 MB under performance options.

So that needs to be fixed for sure!
RED,

Have you made that adjustment yet?  If you're willing to give up a little extra disk space try setting it for RAM x 1.5 = 384.

I found the "event Viewer" with a BOATLOAD of information!!!

Just information entries, or alerts (yellow triangle) and warnings (x in a red circle)?

Spiritsongs

Free firewall
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2006, 06:57:27 AM »
 :)  Hi Red :

Concerning firewall(s) : at times Zone Alarm & Avast have
      "problems" together, whereas the FREE Sygate Personal
       firewall has no conflicts as far as I know. It can be
       downloaded from :
       www.filehippo.com/download_sygate_personal_firewall/ .
       There is a "Guide" at :
       www/kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html .
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 02:01:35 AM by Spiritsongs »

Wulf

Way To Go ;D
Take M's advice and make the adjustment. Hit the change on virtual memory and select DRIVE C. On paging file size for selected drive, input 384 in initial size. In maximum size input 768. Hit set and reboot.
ReinstallFast Defrag and you're away.
I'm with Spiritsongs on the Sygate Firewall, a most under rated piece of software.
As far as I'm aware it's the only one that recognizes that  Windows by default allocates server/client rights to all of its processes. Nothing I repeat nothing on your computer needs server rights for normal internet use.  Some P2P programs will need those rights to enable file sharing but that's it.
The Sygate will let you take away their server rights, deny ICMP traffic and block everything in screensaver mode.Futhermore NO WINDOWS PROCESS need access the Internet. The firewall will automatically resolve your  Internet connection requirements and will let nothing out or in without your permission. The only windows service that needs to leave your computer is Generic Host Process when you do a Windows Update, and it can do so as a client only. Everything else can stay locked up, so to speak. Read the guide thoroughly , set permissions to ask so you can familiarize yourself with the Sygate and you will have a computer locked up like Fort Knox!
This should set your mind at ease. ;D

mauserme

at times Zone Alarm & Avast have "problems" together
I'm not posting against Sygate, but I think the Zone Alarm problems only occur with the paid version.

CharleyO

I agree with mauserme. There is no conflict between Avast and Zone Alarm Free ... which is what I suggested.
If it were me, I would now install the free version of Zone Alarm right away.

...on the Sygate Firewall, a most under rated piece of software. As far as I'm aware it's the only one that recognizes that  Windows by default allocates server/client rights to all of its processes.
This is incorrect. Zone Alarm Free also does not automatically allow server/client rights.

Nothing I repeat nothing on your computer needs server rights for normal internet use.  Some P2P programs will need those rights to enable file sharing but that's it.
Is this not contradictory?    ???

The Sygate will let you take away their server rights,
Zone Alarm Free also does this by not allowing server rights in the first place. You have to choose to give server rights to any program.

Read the guide thoroughly , set permissions to ask so you can familiarize yourself with the Sygate ...
By default, Zone Alarm Free asks with out you having to set anything.

Wulf

...on the Sygate Firewall, a most under rated piece of software. As far as I'm aware it's the only one that recognizes that  Windows by default allocates server/client rights to all of its processes.
This is incorrect. Zone Alarm Free also does not automatically allow server/client rights.

OK maybe I need to expand this. When Sygate is first installed you will be able to access a list of Windows Processes in Applications that Sygate has detected have server/client rights by default
You are then able to take away or allow those rights to stay.
Correct me  if I am wrong, but there is no such ability in any version of Zone Alarm that I have been able to find.
Zone Alarm only allows you to make this decision once the process tries to access the Internet, in Program Control in the Programs tab. In this area I find only the programs that have applied for access, nothing else. If there is somewhere else in Zone Alarm where a list of Windows Processes exist like the Sygate list I haven't found it. Sygate has the option to hide these Windows processes. Is there an Option in Zone Alarm Free that will reveal them?

Nothing I repeat nothing on your computer needs server rights for normal internet use.  Some P2P programs will need those rights to enable file sharing but that's it.
Is this not contradictory?    ???

Not really. Normal internet use for the majority is email and surfing activities that do not require server rights.

The Sygate will let you take away their server rights,
Zone Alarm Free also does this by not allowing server rights in the first place. You have to choose to give server rights to any program.

I stand corrected.

Read the guide thoroughly , set permissions to ask so you can familiarize yourself with the Sygate ...
By default, Zone Alarm Free asks with out you having to set anything.

Same as Sygate, but instead of allowing the process or program to be trusted right off the bat I'm suggesting to keep making it ask for a while until you recognize what it's doing and become comfortable with it. :)

mauserme

Zone Alarm only allows you to make this decision once the process tries to access the Internet, in Program Control in the Programs tab. In this area I find only the programs that have applied for access, nothing else. If there is somewhere else in Zone Alarm where a list of Windows Processes exist like the Sygate list I haven't found it.
Hi Wulf,

If you open the Program Control and click the ADD button at the lower right corner, Zone Alarm will allow you to manually add programs before they seek internet access.

In regard to server rights, I agree its better for any firewall to assume it should not grant this unless it's specifically allowed..  Zone Alarm does not make this assumption - it asks whether to allow or not (not the same as automatilcally allowing).  I might not feel this way if I had single user computers but with multiple users there is always the risk that someone will just click anything to make a warning box go away.  Nonetheless, I do keep coming back to Zone Alarm after testing others because it's so easy to use. 

Sorry if we've strayed too far from Red's original thread.  Maybe we should start a new one in General Topics if we need further discussion.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 07:45:27 PM by mauserme »

Wulf

Thank you for the explanation M
I'll check it out more thoroughly. I agree that we have strayed from Red's original thread.

RichmondRed

You guys aren't just the VARSITY SQUAD--YOU'RE MY HEROES!!!! :-* ;  ;D

And just for the heck of it, I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here, which as we all know, ain't worth a plug nickel, but I'm LEARNING SO MUCH from what you guys are talking about!! :o  I don't think its straying from the topic at all. 

Isn't it better to have all of this under a single topic where everything is connected by "a common thread" as opposed to being somewhere else?  Again, just my opinion but I REALLY like the ability to look back over previous comments and put your input with it.  Its sorta like a big puzzle only you guys are giving me the "cheat sheet" :o ;D ;) with the answers! 

Also, anyone who has these or similar concerns, a newbie at this sort of thing, or pros like you guys, are going to experience a well of information and its all under 1 topic and its right here!  Its a lot like "1-Stop Shopping" only better!!

What you wanna bet somewhere my English Composition teacher is turning over in her grave right about now? :o ;D ;)

Gang, listen--y'all have completed a very daunting task--you've built up my confidence that was below a "sub basement level" to no longer afraid--and that's some feat believe you me!! :o ;) :-*

Now, I have more to post regarding what y'all said today and some things I ran across this morning.  However, first I need to do this.  You guys wanted to know if I had made the change concerning "performance?" Although my confidence is much higher, "she ain't no dummy!!" which means, I need to make absolutely sure I'm doing this the way you guys instructed so I don't FOUL IT UP! ;)

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong:

Select My Computer, Control Panel, Click on System,  Advanced Tab, Performance option, Change, and then make all the changes y'all gave me there, correct? Next, Reboot.

Then I can install as Wulf suggested my "Disk Defrag" which frankly I really liked that little jewel ;) 

I do have more to talk to you guys about and a few ?'s as well :o  Thanks for taking care of me on this one.  I'm hoping that by making these changes first, I can report back to you guys how my baby is running then post the new things I ran across this morning.

As always, Thanks Gang

RED

Spiritsongs

Defragging & "unnecessary Services" !?
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 06:56:26 PM »
 :)  Hi Red :

Just want to touch on a couple of topics .
     Normally speaking, Defragging should NOT be done
     frequently; have heard it causes unnecessary wear &
     tear on a computer. Assuming you have a "built-in"
     Windows "Disk Defragmenter", it has an "Analyze" function
     that should be run to see if defraging is needed.
     Regarding defraging program(s), I noticed Wulf's
     recommendation is 730 KB, whereas the one anti-malware
    "expert" RejZor has developed, called "Power Defragmenter
     GUI 2.0.110" & available at :
     www.excessive-software.eu.tt is 530 KB, 200 less KB.
     Several of the "regular" helpers on the Avast forum use
     this, including me . There is also other programs at the
     excessive-software site that MAY interest you !?

Since you are "fine-tuning" your OS, you MAY be interested
     in seeing if you have any unnecessary "services" running;
     if yes, see the info at :
     www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks6.htm .
     Since this "Guide" is geared towards Win XP & you have
     Win 2000, I do not know if this is appropiate !?