Author Topic: Avast + add'lr anti programs installed, now avast can't scan properly  (Read 19261 times)

mauserme

Hi RED
The following is from http://www.sanpcguide.com/windows/virtual_memory.html

"To Change the Size of the Virtual Memory Paging File
You must be an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

1.  Right-click My Computer, click Properties from pop-up menu.

2.  Click Advanced tab, click Performance Options button.

3.  Click Change button from the Performance Options dialog box (make sure Applications option is checked).

4.  Under Drive [Volume Label], select the drive that contains the page file you want to change. (The default size should already be set by Windows 2000)"

Line #1 above differs a little from the method you posted but it all ends up at the same place.

RichmondRed

Hi Gang ;D

The change is now made.  I'm at 384 and 768 and followed the instruction to the letter.  ;)  I did notice after the reboot, my baby flew!!! Is this what making the change is to accomplish?  If so, WOW! I'm lovin' life this afternoon ;D

As you know "d: drive" is my "book" drive--will the changes I've made here be carried over to d: drive as well or do I need to make these same changes regarding that drive?

Here comes the part that's got me questioning my abilities BIG TIME!  I've printed out our posts and read them over several times.  I know for sure I'm going with either Zone Alarm or Sygate.  Now, here are my concerns:

1.  I have to "teach" Zone Alarm, right?  Is there any rule of thumb for me to follow in knowing that the "checked boxes" are going to be correct? 

2.  Is there anyway something can slip through its defenses if I unwittingly don't check something? 

3.  Can anything be affected, i.e. my AVAST if my "teaching" is incorrect?

4.  Will my AVAST, for use of a better way of saying it, take up the slack in defending my system, should I either not check something correctly or fail to check the correct box?

5.  As you know D: drive is my "book" drive.  You've told me that AVAST protects my whole system--will the firewall do the same?

**PLEASE NOTE THIS CHANGE** The following questions are just now being added (11:18 pm, Sat. night) because I talked to the publisher this evening. ;D :) ;D

6.  Do you guys know how long it takes for the firewall to be "taught" if I decide to go with Zone Alarm? Just a ballpark idea would be great.

7.  Could you give me a rough estimate on how much time it will take for the firewall to be functioning safely, etc in order for me to begin writing the first draft of the book?

8. Is there anything in particular I should watch out for concerning conflicts or "trouble brewing" between the firewall, Avast, or any other software programs?  If correct, I believe you guys said both suggestions of Zone Alarm and Sygate work great with Avast--this is just for my own piece of mind.  When I start talking about "first draft" I start to get nervous.  Its only after I'm into it BIG TIME, I zone out and all's right with the world! ;) :)

9.  MOST IMPORTANT--I'm going to be installing tonight, my Microsoft Office 2003, Premium, I believe its called.  Are there any issues concerning my Avast or firewall that should be addressed regarding this particular software and its functioning with my computers "protectors?"

If you're thinking I'm a little on the skiddish side of installing a firewall, you're SO right--Ok, granted, its more like a LOT skiddish :-\ :-[ ???.  Let me put it another way--Firewalls hate me but its ok, I just hate them right back!  ;D ;) 8)

However, I've learned from you guys NOTHING can stand alone in defending my baby puter.  We all know its safe to say   you guys are going with either "Zone Alarm" or "Sygate" as my firewall. 

Now, check this out: I've been reading up on each of them HOWEVER something that made my stomach churn I just read this a few minutes ago when looking for something on their site when I ran across the following:

A press release on Sygate's site dated 16 Aug 2005 that Symantec is to acquire Sygate!!!! :o :(

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Symantec, NORTON?????  I can't even begin to tell you how I loathe Norton!!!! Lost a system b/c of them.  The only good thing I can say about them is its how I learned of Avast!  ;D 8)

Does anyone know how this is going to affect Sygate?  Or will it? Are you familiar with it even happening?  Am I putting the cart before the horse so to speak?   I don't want to create my own monsters here y'all, but to be quite honest, if Norton has ANYTHING to do with Sygate, I just made my decision--it'll be Zone Alarm. 

I had planned to do more research on both but like any good writer, when your main character has painted herself into a corner, you've got to listen to those voices so she can find her way out!! ;) ;D 

And yep, but its  8) all writer's will tell you that their character's have voices and conversations do run through their head!  Its ok, no men in little huggy bear suits pulling up to the front curb in their long white van with the big red cross on its side!  Not yet anyway!  ;D ;) ;)

As always Gang, thanks from my heart for all you do and looking forward to hearing what y'all think. I couldn't do any of this without you guys! :-*
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 05:21:07 AM by RichmondRed »

Spiritsongs

Sygate Personal Firewall
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2006, 08:47:06 PM »
 :)  Hi Red :

That "news" that Symantec/Norton bought out Sygate is
     correct; however, they have now "abandoned" the firewall
     they bought, so all the info I have given you is from
     "sources" NOT connected with Symantec/Norton. There
     are "unoffical" Sygate forums staffed by the Experts who
     used to provide help on the former "official" Sygate forums.

RichmondRed

Thank you so much Spirit, that took a lot off my mind..whew! I really was worried there for a bit--  :-\ not any more! ;D  :-*

I wanted to clarify a statement I made earlier regarding "firewall research."  What I was trying to say is whenever I take on something new, be it the book, software, whatever, I'll read a lot on it--no different than with the firewalls.  My scope of research, as I like to call it, only deals with the suggestions you guys make.  My goal is to hopefully understand more by reading and therefore not ask stupid questions when I need y'all's help.

Something else I've found is when I read other "user reviews," there have been times when what I read is something I've experienced personally.  Frankly, I feel more at ease knowing there is someone else out in the cyber world who's just as bad as me when it comes to computers! ;) ;D :P

I know I just can't seem to say it enough but thanks SOLELYto you guys, and as I've stated before, my confidence is no longer keeping company with the dust bunnies in the basement! :o ;) ;D :-*

I'm going to be downloading the "defrag" software right after this post.  Having said that reminded me to say thanks for the headsup on the "analyze" function Spirit! :) I had not a clue about that and will be using it tonight! ;)

What I'd like to do is get this firewall in and running but I'd also feel better waiting for your feedback about the earlier post I made today.  I'm still not ready to leave the creek for the ocean--not quite yet anyway! ;) ;D

mauserme

I'm at 384 and 768 and followed the instruction to the letter. ;) I did notice after the reboot, my baby flew!!! Is this what making the change is to accomplish
Yep.  And hopefully will solve the lock ups too.

1. I have to "teach" Zone Alarm, right? Is there any rule of thumb for me to follow in knowing that the "checked boxes" are going to be correct?
As Wulf said earlier, you probably will not want to grant internet server rights to any programs (unless you use p2p, etc).  So open the Program Control on ZA and make sure to change all the ?'s in the internet server column to X's.  Do this periodically as new programs get added to the list (actually best to do it immediately after a program gets added).

Also, you'll see several windows processes seeking internet access and its sometimes hard to know whether to allow or not.  See what Wulf said re:  generic host process and windows updates (allow this). There's different thinking about other Windows programs like Windows Explorer.  I usually live by the axiom, when in doubt deny.

Additionally, some programs (avast! included) will seek internet access in several different ways.  Don't be alarmed when, for example, avast! wants access for updates, to monitor internet activity, email, etc.

2. Is there anyway something can slip through its defenses if I unwittingly don't check something?

No program is perfect, so something could theoretically slip through even if you do everything right.  This is why most of us on the forum, including you now, have adopted a layered approach to computer security.  Not relying on a single product closes holes.

3. Can anything be affected, i.e. my AVAST if my "teaching" is incorrect?

Yes.  The most common effect would be programs you want to have internet access (like avast! updates) will not have access.  If you see this happen its an easy matter to open the Program Control and change the rule to allow access.

4. Will my AVAST, for use of a better way of saying it, take up the slack in defending my system, should I either not check something correctly or fail to check the correct box?[/b][/i]

Yes, but there could be a threat from trojans, worms, crackers, that avast! might not detect.  Someone in this thread (Spritsongs?) suggested Ewido to you.  This is a particularly good program for dealing with trojans and worms.  You might also want to consider a hardware firewall if you have a high speed internet connection.

5. As you know D: drive is my "book" drive. You've told me that AVAST protects my whole system--will the firewall do the same?

Yep.

6. Do you guys know how long it takes for the firewall to be "taught" if I decide to go with Zone Alarm? Just a ballpark idea would be great.

Its an ongoing process that really has no defined end point.  When you first install a firewall each time a program tries to access the internet, the trusted zone, etc the firewall will stop this access and ask you if you want to allow the activity.  Normally you will check a box to "Remember the Setting" and then either allow or deny the activity.  The firewall has now "learned" the identity of the program and your preference regarding access for that program.  You will not be asked again about that individual program unless the program changes (like with the recent avast! program update).  If it detects a changed program it will treat it as an unknown and ask you again.  Similarly with new programs you might install.

The initial activity usually tapers off after 2 or 3 days, depending on how many programs you run.

7. Could you give me a rough estimate on how much time it will take for the firewall to be functioning safely, etc in order for me to begin writing the first draft of the book?

From the moment you reboot after installing it.

8. Is there anything in particular I should watch out for concerning conflicts or "trouble brewing" between the firewall, Avast, or any other software programs? If correct, I believe you guys said both suggestions of Zone Alarm and Sygate work great with Avast--this is just for my own piece of mind. When I start talking about "first draft" I start to get nervous. Its only after I'm into it BIG TIME, I zone out and all's right with the world! ;) :)

I'm not aware of any conflicts with the free version of Zone Alarm or any version of Sygate, but others might have more info on this.

9. MOST IMPORTANT--I'm going to be installing tonight, my Microsoft Office 2003, Premium, I believe its called. Are there any issues concerning my Avast or firewall that should be addressed regarding this particular software and its functioning with my computers "protectors?"

Same answer as #8.

A press release on Sygate's site dated 16 Aug 2005 that Symantec is to acquire Sygate!!!!
  That "news" that Symantec/Norton bought out Sygate is
 correct; however, they have now "abandoned" the firewall
 they bought

If I understand the situation correctly (and I think what Spiritsongs is saying), after Symantec purchased Sygate it gave it the axe because they were developing their own firewall.  So, although still a well regarded firewall, I don't think there is any official support any more.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 08:55:32 AM by mauserme »

RichmondRed

WOW "M"! Lots of GREAT information.  Thank you so much  Good thing I caught a nap b/c that's all it was--4 hours.  I've re-read documents again and I'm heading over there now to download and install Ewido. 

Spirit, I want to thank you so much for all the information you contributed about antispyware.  I also wanted to tell you why I chose Ewido. 

I read everything and frankly, the reason I went with them is because I use to be an avid AVG user.  There was a press release on their site advising they were joining forces with Grisoft.  Frankly, that's what put it over the top for me.  Again thank you from the heart! 

The next software program I'll be installing today is my Microsoft Office Premium 2003, finally!  We're getting to the end guys-won't be much longer!   However, its still a tossup on the firewall but I'm really leaning toward Zone Alarm.

Because this just happened regarding Ewido, I thought it best to post the question here on the "modified" version of my earlier post.   

[b]**PLEASE NOTE **I ran the scan and it picked up SEVEN  infections NOT found by an "updated" Spyware Doctor     and Spyware Doctor was used first!![/b]  Life is good this Sunday afternoon!

Because of Active X needing to be enabled on Ewido's site, I used my IE (ugh!) browser and downloaded the file to my desktop.  Its my understanding "Firefox" doesn't use Active X controls--don't quote me on that but its my understanding from what I've read. 

I ALWAYS scan all downloaded files there before opening.  Now, please tell me if your Avast! does this or is something wrong.

EACH AND EVERY time I go to scan a downloaded, UNOPENED file of any nature and click "Scan with Avast!", the only thing I see is the Avast Quick screen.  It pops up and is gone in the bat of an eye--Literally!!!

It never says if the file is ok, nothing, nada.  Shouldn't it be giving me some kind of information regarding it being safe to open?  Do all Avast's "Quick Scan" work the same way?  Something like "no news is good news" syndrome--if I don't find a message that the file is corrupt, etc., its safe to open and setup?   

With all we been discussing, this is one that fell through the cracks.  I'm so glad it happened this afternoon as it acted like a reminder to come back to the "Varsity Squad" for your feedback and advice!! 

There is one aspect of Sygate I want to check out first.  Does this software have to be taught as well? I think this was answered earlier, but for the life of me I can't find it on the post anywhere.  There is probably a good reason for that too--My eyes were propped open by toothpicks and the IV of Folger's ringers had yet to be opened!! :D ;D,

By the way, here is a belated question.  I tried to post using the "quote" function under the "modify" icon but no luck. 

I saw last night my "p2p" function set on "custom" where everything else is set on "high."   If my Avast is set to utilize the P2P function on "high" instead of "custom," would that "overall" take care of "teaching" my zone alarm firewall?

With any installation concerning my Avast! and since I do NOT unless absolutely necessary use IE. does IE come into play regarding any of my Avast settings?
The reason for my concern is Active X enabling!!   I have it set where it must ask first if it is to be enabled.

Does the "p2p function" cover a broader scope than just granting interent access?

Because I installed my Avast "as is," I never chose "custom" for my p2p function.  Should that be changed to "high" like everything else?  Is this an issue to be concerned about?As always thanks for everything! 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 08:33:35 PM by RichmondRed »

Wulf

HI red :)
As you know "d: drive" is my "book" drive--will the changes I've made here be carried over to d: drive as well or do I need to make these same changes regarding that drive?

No. As you say it's your "book" drive I'm assuming you have no Operating System loaded onto this drive, and that is is solely for storage.

It never says if the file is OK, nothing, nada.  Shouldn't it be giving me some kind of information regarding it being safe to open?  Do all Avast's "Quick Scan" work the same way?  Something like "no news is good news" syndrome--if I don't find a message that the file is corrupt, etc., its safe to open and setup?

If you want the On Access Scanner to let you know the results: Right click the Avast icon, select program settings, In Common settings tick these two,  Show results of Explorer Extension, Show Explorer Extension Icon.

In regards to the Sygate Firewall, it is by default set to ask you for permission. You can the allow or block it for that session. If your are comfortable with allowing, you tell it not to ask again and it will not bother you anymore unless the program changes ( loads new components or d'lls) then the Firewall will re ask you for permission as it recognizes that the program is no longer the one you gave permission for.

I saw last night my "p2p" function set on "custom" where everything else is set on "high."   If my Avast is set to utilize the P2P function on "high" instead of "custom," would that "overall" take care of "teaching" my zone alarm firewall?

The reason for your P2P settings  being on custom is one or more of the programs inside the Provider list is unticked. If you go into customize and then tick all the programs in the programs list it should return to normal. That setting is fine.

With any installation concerning my Avast! and since I do NOT unless absolutely necessary use IE. does IE come into play regarding any of my Avast settings? The reason for my concern is Active X enabling!!   I have it set where it must ask first if it is to be enabled.

Active X is a  well recognized danger for malware and as such should be steered clear off. If you must use it the setting you have chosen is your best defense. Make sure the certificate is signed by Microsoft. If it's not, under no circumstances allow it.

mauserme

I ALWAYS scan all downloaded files there before opening.  Now, please tell me if your Avast! does this or is something wrong.

Hey Again, RED,

You can certainly manually scan each file if you wish, and if you do as Wulf said you'll be able to see the results.  But its not entirely necessary.

Avast! monitors your internet activity almost in real time.  It will stop anything it detects before it even hits your hard drive.  This is a much better technique than writing the file to disk and then scanning on open which is how most av programs work.

If something did happen to slip through (eg a password protected file that can't be scanned until opened) the Standard Shield would catch it at that point.

Wulf

Hi Red, :)
This may be of some interest to you, although it is not something we have not covered so far.
Screensavers
Avast has the ability to scan your computer while your screensaver is running. Here you can tell it to scan whole files and to scan them by content rather than extension. This is more thorough. One more arrow in the quiver (so to speak) of your defense systems. If it finds anything, it will come out of screensaver mode and alert you, at the same time suspending everything pending your intervention.
At this link http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=16978.0 you will find a couple of great Avast screensavers made by SZ Craftec, Avast Skin Designer.
The spinning Ball looks great up and running!
Avast! You are Protected.

Spiritsongs

"SpywareBlaster"
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2006, 05:48:59 PM »
 :)  Hi Red :

On Apr 10, I mentioned "SpywareBlaster" from
     javacoolsoftware, but have seen no mention of it from you .
     This program is one of the premier "prevent"-type ( & FREE)
     antiSPYWARE programs, that also covers "firefox". It has a
     tutorial at : www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?
     showtutorial=49 . There are many "tutorials" on the
     bleepingcomputer website that may interest you !?