Author Topic: registration error- home thinks it's server  (Read 3183 times)

ahitch

registration error- home thinks it's server
« on: April 09, 2006, 04:05:41 AM »
I’ve got a weird one… I found something similar in the forum, but not quite.
I’ve just completed a full re-install of XP Pro for a friend of mine. Before I blew away his OS I copied the license code from his Avast. Once XP was back up I re-downloaded the home edition (setupeng.exe) and installed it… or tried to. It came up several times during install complaining that it couldn’t find m-(something. dll and a re-install was required! I tried aborting the install but it kept going until the final phase at which point I was able to cancel.

I thought for a moment that I may have somehow received the wrong file so I used an older version that I had on a USB drive, knowing it would update once on line. After un-installing, rebooting, and installing the older version (without any errors) I attempted to input his registration key. It came back as invalid. I un-installed and even used the un-installer from the Avast site. Same issue after re-installing. I noticed that under the registration info in the “About Avast” area that it thinks the product is Server. The splash screen says home edition, but I can’t get his registration code back in and I’m wondering if there’s a leftover .dll from the original attempt that’s causing the issue.

Anybody got any clues???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: registration error- home thinks it's server
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 04:21:57 PM »
I’ve just completed a full re-install of XP Pro for a friend of mine. Before I blew away his OS
I supose you've formated the HD before installing XP and did not do an overinstallation.

I copied the license code from his Avast.
From where? On About dialog, only part of the license number is showed.

It came up several times during install complaining that it couldn’t find m-(something. dll and a re-install was required! I tried aborting the install but it kept going until the final phase at which point I was able to cancel.
Better if we can know the exactly error message and the name of the missed file...
The best things in life are free.

ahitch

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 11:14:51 PM »
I supose you've formated the HD before installing XP and did not do an overinstallation.
Yup

From where? On About dialog, only part of the license number is showed.

OK. That WAS pretty dumb on my part!!!  :-[

Better if we can know the exactly error message and the name of the missed file...

Yup... I know... I just didn't have the chance to write it down. It did however, go away when I used a previous version. Just for grins, I uninstalled that version and re-downloaded the last one from the Avast site and got the same errors all over again. I finally used the un-install routine from the Avast site and re-installed the older version.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 12:56:30 AM »
I finally used the un-install routine from the Avast site and re-installed the older version.
Ahitch, the new (updated) version should work for you...
You should try again as you're losing the last updates and features of avast.
An antivirus is a constant updated application...
The best things in life are free.

ahitch

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 12:43:35 PM »
I finally used the un-install routine from the Avast site and re-installed the older version.
Ahitch, the new (updated) version should work for you...
You should try again as you're losing the last updates and features of avast.
An antivirus is a constant updated application...

Geeze guys! Gimme' some credit!  ::) That's what I ended up doing! I installed the older version and allowed it to update. That seemed to work. Now I just have to re-register him.

I'm still confused and concerned about why the version I downloaded Saturday didn't install, but the older one (about 1 month) did. It still says that it's the server version under the "About" screen, but it installed and it's working.

ahitch

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 02:57:33 PM »
OK.
I still don't know why the initial install threw a bunch of errors, but installing an older file, allowing it to update, and putting in a complete key seemed to work just fine.

Thanks!