Author Topic: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.7.807)  (Read 53215 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Avast 4.7 has now been officially released (build number is 4.7.817). Use the Program Update menu option in avast GUI to install it. Thanks.

Hi *,

here I'm again. A new version, 4.7, of avast Home/Pro coming soon (my guess is in about a week) and as usual, it's my pleasure to announce the availability of a pre-release version of this update.

How to install it (for starters - most people already know this trick anyway ): simply download and run the following program: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe . That's about all it takes (provided you have the latest version of avast Home/Pro already installed, of course; if you don't, you can easily download it from the main www.avast.con website).

As the new version number suggests, this update is quite a big one and brings significant number of changes and improvements. Most of them, however, are hidden under the hood so most users will not even notice them (but they're real, trust me :)).

The improvements include:
- a new data storage (called "SQLT). Both ODBC and XML data storage is now OBSOLETE. We will be removing the reference to the XML storage from our FAQ entries. RejZoR should remove the storage-manipulation option from his AEC, if it's still there.

- WinXP+: the Standard Shield now implements a nice new feature, "do not scan system libraries" (by default on). This should dramatically decrease the number of files scanned during computer boot. For now, it only works with XP SP2 in the following language versions English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese (Brazil), Polish, Czech. And the English version of Windows 2003 Server

- the boot-time scanner now has considerably improved support for archive scanning

- the mail scanner module ("Internet Mail" provider) has been significantly changed to improve the overall user experience, especially in case of slow connections (dial-up...). Namely, most of (if not all) the "Timeout expired"-related problems should be gone now.

- the action "delete/move files on next reboot" has now been made malware resistant. We now use the boot-time scanner engine to perform those actions.

A more complete list of changes and fixes will be published when the update goes official.

Any comments on this milestone release are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 01:42:32 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.7.807)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 10:23:45 AM »
In the Internet Mail scanner, I notice that the connection timeout box is now unchecked after I installed the update.  I suppose that is one way of stopping the timeouts ... but was it intended?

greenhatch

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »
Inexperienced users (like me) should be warned that Beta means just that? In other words, instal at your own risk as v 4.7 not yet 'finished'? Any time scale as to when it might be finalised, Vlk?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 10:30:39 AM »
ODBC/XML tweak was removed from avast! External Control when you added the option for it under Troubleshooting menu ;)
No need to have tweaker for something that program ca do itself :)

Just updated, here is report if you need it:
Information about current update:
Total time: 2:08

- Program: Updated
  (previous version: 4.6.763, updated version: 4.7.807)
- Vps: Already up to date
  (current version 0615-0)
- Setup: Updated
  (previous version: 4.6.763, updated version: 4.7.807)

Server: www2.asw.cz (195.47.75.56)
Downloaded files: 9 (5.179,68 KB)
Download time: 1:34

@Greenhatch
As Vlk said in about a week, we'll get the final release ;)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 10:32:39 AM »
In the Internet Mail scanner, I notice that the connection timeout box is now unchecked after I installed the update.  I suppose that is one way of stopping the timeouts ... but was it intended?

Yes; the way it works now, it is not needed anymore because your mail client ITSELF will report the timeout if there's really one. That is, the two pipes (client -> avast, and avast -> mailserver) that the mail scanner maintains are now kept in synch...

Any time scale as to when it might be finalised, Vlk?

As I said in the original post, very soon. In about a week.

Thanks
Vlk

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 10:36:40 AM »
Vlk, just spotted first bug.

There are "Tlen" entries listed 3 times under Instant Messaging provider.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 10:39:22 AM »
Vlk,

I admit I have complained loudly about the ineffectiveness of the inbound (port 110) timeout check but what about the avast users who have only become aware of a spambot infestation because avast warned them of a timeout condition on the outbound side (port 25) that had nothing whatsoever to do with their mail client? 

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 10:43:26 AM »
I use Internet mail provider just because of heuristics it has, even though i don't use POP3 mail.
It will warn you about timeouts and about mass mail worms.
Since you're still not prepared for file heuristics, maybe you should improve this feature to take advantage of difefrent kind of heuristics already available in Internet Mail provider. There is also lots of space for improvements for currently pretty much useless Blocker. But thats a topic for some other day.

Spotted another minor glitch, two options under Troubleshooting menu are separated with way too big gap (where ODBC/XML switch used to be placed).

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 10:46:03 AM »
Installed it without problems. But... Look at IM provider settings window. 3 times repeated the same program  ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 10:52:14 AM »
There are "Tlen" entries listed 3 times under Instant Messaging provider.

You're right, this will be easily fixed. :) Thx.

but what about the avast users who have only become aware of a spambot infestation because avast warned them of a timeout condition

Well, I don't believe anyone has become aware of an infection BECAUSE of the timeout message itself. I mean, the message was so cryptic that even most seasoned computer users were confused by it. I agree that it might've given a hint to someone who knows how avast works - but there are other ways to do this.

I mean, the Internet Mail provider is still there, and filtering all email traffic. So if the spambot is really sending out spam, it should be detected (at least by the heuristics module)...

DaveD

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 10:53:38 AM »
Web Shield uses much less memory!!!

From what I have experienced so far, Web Shield appears to use much less memory then before. Possibly because of the new data storage type?

I pounded the piss out of Web Shield with Firefox opening 10 to 15 tabs at once, going through each section of my bookmarks. Highest I got Web Shield was 8,000 K and would quickly settle back down to around 5,000 K. Prior to this beta it regular web browsing Web Shield was around 12,000 K and up.

One glitch to point out. The providers all say version "4.6-807" but all other areas seem to be correct saying "4.7-807".

Cheers!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 10:56:57 AM »
It's correct, during beta testing they'll release updates which will slowly progress toward to version 4.7 (so we can test if reported stuff was fixed properly). And thats the day when 4.7 final will be released ;)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 11:00:47 AM »
One glitch to point out. The providers all say version "4.6-807" but all other areas seem to be correct saying "4.7-807".

I don't think it's a bug.  ;D Yes, the same here. Startup and memory scan screen shows 4.6 too.  ;D But I know it's 4.7  ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 11:07:07 AM »
Yeah, the version labels are probably not changed in all places yet. We will most likely settle this tomorrow...

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 11:07:46 AM »
Well, I don't believe anyone has become aware of an infection BECAUSE of the timeout message itself. I mean, the message was so cryptic that even most seasoned computer users were confused by it. I agree that it might've given a hint to someone who knows how avast works - but there are other ways to do this.

You are, of course, absolutely right.  They did almost always need the help of the forum to explain the condition.

I mean, the Internet Mail provider is still there, and filtering all email traffic. So if the spambot is really sending out spam, it should be detected (at least by the heuristics module)...

Perhaps we can agree that spambots really do send out spam.  I think I can recall one, maybe two, instance(s) of heuristics catching mass spam mailings reported in the forum.  I recall very many more indicated by the timeout warning.   Have the heuristics been modified in this release?