Author Topic: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.7.807)  (Read 53337 times)

Faith

Re: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.7.807)
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2006, 08:11:45 PM »
Faith, the problem has certainly nothing to do with German Windows; there's no difference in Chest operations between various language versions of the OS, so the problem must be somewhere else.

Could you please write your last message in German? I'm afraid I don't understand what you are trying to say, and I would like to know how exactly you did the scan (I think I'll understand better in German). Thanks!

--------------

Guys, the two options you are talking about are closely connected. The one on the first page enables scanning of DLLs, the one on the second page makes avast! ignore some of them (in particular, the trusted - system - ones). So, the first one makes avast! scan more, perhaps slowing the system a little, the second one should, on contrary, make it faster (when checked).

Hallo Igor,

ich wusste nicht, dass du deutsch kannst *g* warum sagt du mir dass nicht früher ?

Also wenn ich mein System scanne und avast erkennt einen Virus ( wie du ja in meinen Pics sehen kannst ), dann will ich es in die Quarantäne verschieben und genau dass funktioniert nicht ( siehe auch letztes Pic ) dann kommt dieser rießen große Balken, mit der Fehlermeldung.

Und normalerweise ist es doch so, dass Systemdateien, in einem Geschützten Containerbereich drin sind, allerdings ist dies in der neuen Version nicht mehr der Fall. Dass sieht für mich jetzt so aus, dass sie nicht mehr geschützt werden.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 08:16:12 PM by Faith »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2006, 08:21:16 PM »
Guys, the two options you are talking about are closely connected. The one on the first page enables scanning of DLLs, the one on the second page makes avast! ignore some of them (in particular, the trusted - system - ones). So, the first one makes avast! scan more, perhaps slowing the system a little, the second one should, on contrary, make it faster (when checked).
Igor, which is advisable for the first one, disabling dll scanning won't be dangerous? I suppose it will disable all the time and not only on boot time, and will disable all dll scanning and not only the system ones...
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2006, 08:33:10 PM »
Faith, this is an English-only board, and I'm trying to stick to it, but sometimes it's better to make an exception (besides, I have studied German long time ago and forgot quite a lot already).
I understand that you have a problem with the Virus Chest - but how did you scan your system? Using the Simple User Interface, or Explorer Extension, or somehow else?

Tech: Well, let's put it this way: yes, you are right, disabling the scanning (either of system DLLs, or DLLs at all) will disable their scanning completely, not only for boot.
But, until now, the loaded DLL files were not scanned at all - so it's certainly an improvement (security-wise).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2006, 08:39:19 PM »
Well this second option of not scanning system libraries certainly appear to speed up my boot by reducing the number of files scanned. How are these trusted system DLLs decided upon and could this be leave a vulnerability if a malware DLL was located in a system folder ?

However, it would appear that one over-rides the other - (Basic) Scan DLLs on load, (Advanced) Do not scan dll. So I would have to assume that because both are checked by default that the Advanced setting over-rides the Basic and in fact the Default is NOT to scan DLLs on boot contrary to what has been suggested/said ?

So what dynamic libraries are checked if not trusted system libraries ?

Sorry if I'm making a hash of trying to ask what is the difference in the DLLs that are or aren't scanned depending on the two different settings ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Faith

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2006, 08:43:21 PM »
Faith, this is an English-only board, and I'm trying to stick to it, but sometimes it's better to make an exception (besides, I have studied German long time ago and forgot quite a lot already).
I understand that you have a problem with the Virus Chest - but how did you scan your system? Using the Simple User Interface, or Explorer Extension, or somehow else?

Tech: Well, let's put it this way: yes, you are right, disabling the scanning (either of system DLLs, or DLLs at all) will disable their scanning completely, not only for boot.
But, until now, the loaded DLL files were not scanned at all - so it's certainly an improvement (security-wise).

naja wenn du noch ein wenig deutsch kannst, ist dass doch super  :) Besser wäre es, wenn Ihr auch ein Unterforum in Deutsch hättet, dass würde, so denke ich, euch um einiges erleichtern und uns deutschsprachigen Usern genauso. Wäre doch eine Überlegung wert oder ?

Ich gehe über die Erweiterte Benutzeroberfläche rein und da fangen halt dir bekannten Fehler an.

justin1278

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2006, 09:19:59 PM »
yes igor you are right, the option becomes available when I right click in the pane.

Faith

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2006, 11:54:40 PM »
@Igor,

wie sieht es eigentlich mit der Rootkiterkennung bei avast aus ?

ich denke, da muss bei avast was gemacht werden. Den eine reine Virenerkennung reicht hier nicht mehr bei avast aus. Was ist mit unbekannter Malwareerkennung ? wäre es nicht gut, sowas ähnliches wie TruPrevent in avast einzubauen ?

TAP

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2006, 03:13:50 AM »
I really like this feature, it makes avast! extremely light as there's no real-time local file scanner. But finally, is it really safe to use this feature?

Well, we believe so. But you can always turn it off (on the second page of Standard Shield configuration).

Thanks for clarification.

On my machine, even this feature is turn on (on the first page of Standard Shield configuration) but I feel that the new avast! beta seems to be lighter than ever before, applications load a bit faster than ever.

Great!!!  :)

« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 03:30:22 AM by TAP »

justin1278

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2006, 03:26:58 AM »
I think avast! 4.7 will be a completely better program the 4.6 and out perform it in everyway. Can't wait until official release!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2006, 09:11:27 AM »
The speed increase is most likely caused by the setting on page 2 - "Do not scan system libraries". This is turned ON by default (i.e. system libraries are NOT scanned by default).

By unchecking the new box on the first page ("scan dynamic libraries on load"), you can FURTHER increase performance of the on-access scanner (quite considerably in fact) - BUT I can't say it's 100% safe to turn it off. You should only turn it off if you're using a slow machine and the overhead of the on-access scanner is too big.

Someone also asked how we recognize the "system libraries". Well, the answer is, by exact match. I.e. on our servers, we have created an archive of DLL files that we know are "safe", then harvested hashes of those files (together with the file names, file sizes and time stamps) and finally put the result to the virus database. That is, the virus database now contains not only samples of BAD applications (a blacklist) but also samples of GOOD applications (whitelist).

In the future, we can go one step further and start adding some other trusted apps to the archive. This way, we can ultimately achieve the goal where only a very few files will in fact be scanned...

I have been dreaming about this feature for some time, and finally, it's becoming true... :)

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2006, 10:00:15 AM »
BTW the "Beta" forum subcategory has now been re-opened, so I'd like to ask everyone who wants to write something about the 4.7 beta to do so THERE.

I.e. classical ONE THREAD PER TOPIC.

Thanks (I'm closing this thread for now). :)
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.