Author Topic: using Avast as chat blocker  (Read 3524 times)

manu

using Avast as chat blocker
« on: April 09, 2006, 11:10:23 AM »
Hi, is it possible to use Avast a chat blocker by using its tools. For example I want to block MSN chat  what sould ı do. Regards..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: using Avast as chat blocker
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 04:13:19 PM »
If you can use an URL mask for that chats, maybe you can add this mask to WebShield URL block like below...
Maybe you need to use avast password to avoid changing this option by other person.
Anyway, better will be a firewall rule for blocking it as avast is an antivirus and not a firewall.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 12:27:15 AM »
I don't know how MSN (or other other similar tools) work, but WebShield only protects/blocks HTTP communication - so I somehow doubt it's applicable here.

Fast

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 10:13:46 AM »
There are several possibilities.
The easiest is, as tech says, to use a firewall to block it. Mind you, you should use a password-protected firewall like Sygate or Kerio since it is easy to bypass the settings in most firewalls.
Another option is to use a program to safeguard chat-communications like Naomi (see below in my signature). This way MSN is possible, but in a relatively harmless way.
If you know a bit more of how a firewall works,you could choose to let MSN-Messenger work only on port 80 (like a browser) and this way block file-transfers on the ports 6891 / 6901.
Usually this is no fun for the real MSN-freaks, but at least IM-communication is possible.
Fast