Author Topic: 100% CPU Usage after installing newest Avast version  (Read 4659 times)

Devin

100% CPU Usage after installing newest Avast version
« on: April 09, 2006, 03:42:13 PM »
Hey Folks,

Since installing the latest Avast version update, my computer has been veeerrryyy slow.  Turns out CPU usage, with no programs running, averages 75 to 80%.   It used to sit at 0-5%.

Ran anti-virus scan and 12 hours later was still running because CPU was at 100% most of the time. 

Any input is appreciated because I'll have to dump Avast if I can't fix it. 

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: 100% CPU Usage after installing newest Avast version
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 03:50:26 PM »
What version are you using 4.6.763, current latest release.

What sensitivity is Standard Shield set to (Normal is the default), have you made any other tweaks or adjustments ?

Again what sensitivity was used on the scan Normal, Through, with or without archives, how much data being scanned, all these will effect duration ?

Do (or did) you have another AV installed, if so what (and how did you get rid of it) ?
Do you have any other resident anti-adware/spyware, etc. installed ?
What process is showing as using the CPU % ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Devin

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 04:54:21 PM »
Hey David,

Thanks for help.

Am using version 4.6.763, the current latest release.

Standard Shield set to High.

Other tweaks or adjustments:

Internet Mail/Outlook Exchange set to High.
P2P set to High.
Web Shield set to High.

Funny, but when latest version was installing it asked if I wanted to upgrade or clean install and I chose to have a Clean Install which should have set everything to Normal??

Scan Sensitivity was set to Thorough.  Point here is that it never took 12 hours to scan entire hard drive contents.  It's a 160 gig hard drive with 93.4 gig available.

No other AV installed.  No remnants of Norton either.  Did a very deep removal of that garbage quite some time ago.  Removed it by (a) going to their website and using their removal program and (b) going into registry and removing all Norton folders.  Had NO problems after doing so.

Am using SpyBot and Ad-Aware for anti-spyware.  Sorry to be ignorant but what do you mean by "resident"?  Does that mean constantly running after booting?  If so, they are not resident.  Those programs only operate when I click on them.

The processes showing as using the CPU are so numerous it would take a long time to type in each one.  Is there a way to be able to copy/paste all current processes?

Also, what do you think of Security Task Manager by Neuber?  (http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/)

Again, thanks for the help.  It is greatly appreciated.

Devin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 05:23:21 PM »
Standard Shield set to High.
Normal is the best level for performance/security balance.
Can you try and post the results?
The other providers could be let on High without that impact in system performance.

Am using SpyBot and Ad-Aware for anti-spyware.  Sorry to be ignorant but what do you mean by "resident"?  Does that mean constantly running after booting?  If so, they are not resident.  Those programs only operate when I click on them.
Yes, resident is the ones that run constantly in background.

The processes showing as using the CPU are so numerous it would take a long time to type in each one.
Is there a way to be able to copy/paste all current processes?
You can export the list if you use www.sysinternals.com (Process Explorer).
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 05:45:14 PM »
Quote from: Devin
The processes showing as using the CPU are so numerous it would take a long time to type in each one.  Is there a way to be able to copy/paste all current processes?
A little different to no no programs running, but no matter. Just check the windows Task Manager's Processes list the avast processes start with ash or asw that should show how much CPU % they are using. Here we are only concerned with what % avast is using, if it isn't avast using them then avast isn't at fault.

Norton is a pig to remove and hopefully the tools have removed all of it.

My personal view is I don't use through only normal and I don't scan archives in my weekly scan (Normal without archives). When I first installed avast I did a through scan with archives to ensure that I had a clean start point and would only repeat this if I was suspicious in any way and to date I haven't repeated this through scan with archives.

Archives are by their nature inert until they are extracted and any executable run, now avast by default will scan any executable file before it is run and depending on your standard shield sensitivity any newly created/modified files (extracted files could qualify in this case). Allied with that the multiple levels of protection from the other resident scanners, web shield, internet mail, p2p, etc. backed up by standard shield, I don't feel it warrants my (IMHO) doing a Through scan with archives on a regular basis. So I stick to a weekly Normal scan without archives. However, the choice is yours, in the balance between performance and protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Devin

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 05:53:47 PM »
You guys rock!  The info is greatly appreciated.

I changed Standard Shield sensitivity from High to Normal and, (fingers crossed), all appears to be working much, much better.

Regarding the Thorough Scan: David, thanks for the outstanding advice.  I will be sure to not scan archives from now on.

Warm Regards and again, thanks.

Devin

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 06:15:12 PM »
No problem, glad we could help.