Author Topic: Problem with Outlook  (Read 6102 times)

robwilli

Problem with Outlook
« on: December 19, 2003, 07:32:14 AM »
I uninstalled McAfee VirusScan before installing avast!.  Now, when I start Outlook, I get the error "C:\PROGRAM~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\OUTSCN.DLL could not be installed or loaded...."
I tried the "Detect and Repair" on the Outlook Help menu, but it locks up and I have to end the task.
Also, even when Outlook is open, the avast! Outlook/Exchange scanner says "The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start," so I don't think I have protection for my Outlook mail at this point.
Any suggestions for resolving these problems?
Thanks in advance--

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Problem with Outlook
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 08:49:07 AM »
Please read this thread: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=155;start=0 and follow the advice regarding deleting of the extend.dat file.

That should fix the McAfee thing.

As about the avast thing (not starting properly): what version of Outlook are you using? If XP or 2K3, it's worth trying to go to the Outlook About box, click on the Disabled Items button and make sure that avast is not in that list.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

robwilli

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 05:46:16 PM »
Thanks--
I deleted the "extend.dat" file and everything seems to be working now.  It also fixed the problem with the startup of avast! with Outlook/Exchange.
I appreciate the prompt and expert help!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 09:36:49 PM »
I appreciate the prompt and expert help!

You know, you are dealing with our guru, Vlk.  :-*
Wellcome to forums. Come back and help the others. Wellcome to avast! family. Thanks for Vlk wisdom too  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 11:04:57 PM »
Vlk is always very helpful
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay