Author Topic: [Guide] avast! Proactive Protection  (Read 38032 times)

ardvark

Re: [Guide] avast! Proactive Protection
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 05:57:57 AM »
Hi DavidR...

Ah, I see...got a little ahead of myself. Pardon my brusqueness earlier, just that I don't post here to hear my head rattle. I have questions at times and like to help out others when I can too.

emy80

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 09:35:47 AM »
Hello! I did the customization but at start up Avast! gave me a warning with the same window you showed. It asked me to allow or block the writing of a file called ebd.chk by process wuaulct.exe.
Why? the file was in a microsoft windows folder. now i'm really tired of getting this warning. Is it a virus Avast didn't detected before? What should I do?

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 10:25:21 AM »
Just a blooper trying to do too many things at once my apologies
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 10:29:23 AM by tednelly »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 10:26:53 AM »
Here is a link to a site that should help answer some of your questions?
Wuauclt.exe is a process managing automatic updates for Windows
Hope it helps

http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?showtopic=30026

Sorry I post the wrong URL the first time oops
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

emy80

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2006, 10:30:49 AM »
Here is a link to a site that should help answer some of your questions?
Wuauclt.exe is a process managing automatic updates for Windows
Hope it helps

http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?showtopic=30026

Sorry I post the wrong URL the first time oops

No problem! I googled for it and find out what exactly it is. So I wasn't overly concerend. but those warnings were aggravating. I couldn't rememeber the default settings so I jsut uninstalled and installed Avast again.
I think I'll not mess with it in the future.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2006, 10:42:40 AM »

no worries emy80  you just had to untick Standard Shield/Customise/Blocker/
Blocked Operations/Untick Open file for writing   ;)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2006, 10:58:41 AM »
Hello! I did the customization but at start up Avast! gave me a warning with the same window you showed. It asked me to allow or block the writing of a file called ebd.chk by process wuaulct.exe.
Why? the file was in a microsoft windows folder. now i'm really tired of getting this warning. Is it a virus Avast didn't detected before? What should I do?

Thats impossible. If you followed the guide you shouldn't get that message. CHK extension is not even on the list!
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

ocp

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2006, 11:04:45 AM »
I think the problem is that he didn't uncheck default extension set. As I understand it must be unchecked otherwise you get a lot more warnings.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2006, 11:12:07 AM »
Yes, but people obviously don't read. I even used images for that matter...

Now select Blocker tab.

Set all settings the same as shown on screenshot above, except field under number 2. This will come in next few lines...

This is what i wrote in the guide on first page...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 11:13:45 AM by RejZoR »

emy80

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2006, 11:14:45 AM »

Thats impossible. If you followed the guide you shouldn't get that message. CHK extension is not even on the list!

Well....there is a CH? in the default extension. My guess is that changing the Bloker action triggered that thing. I did an on-line scan with Trend Micro disabling the Standard Shield and the Web Shield.
First thing I got was a error message of Microsoft. I took a screenshot. Then the scan resulted clean. I just uninstalled and installed Avast again. i have the automatic update enabled so maybe that's why. The wuaulct.exe was running under a svchost.exe process pertaining the Updates. I checked it with Process Explorer.
I don't know why. I just decided to leave the default settings.

[edit] I'm really sorry. i guess I really didn't unchecked the default setting. I'm realy sorry for this. I wasn't saying that your guide is bad. i just guess, since i'm not an expert it's better if i leave the default setting, so i'll know for sure I haven't damaged the program. I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 11:16:48 AM by emy80 »

greenhatch

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2006, 11:43:05 AM »
It's nice and clear now. To us noobs, it looked like the 'additional' extensions still needed the tick in the box to activate blocking. I now understand the tick is not needed. I certainly appreciate your help RejZoR and I trust this thread will be 'stickied'.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 11:45:53 AM by greenhatch »

ocp

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2006, 12:32:42 PM »
Noticed one small problem.
"Default extension set" will check itself if you run Avast! Antivirus. So eveytime you use it (which is not often - im talking about main antivirus, not on-access protection or explorer extension), you have to uncheck it.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2006, 12:59:46 PM »
Good, so we found a bug.

greenhatch

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2006, 01:07:28 PM »
I just tried a quick scan but it didn't change my blocker settings (Default unticked, additional per RejZoR info post).

Oh and I found out what caused the blocker write alert in my Trillian yesterday: MSN message box icon!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 01:27:38 PM by greenhatch »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2006, 03:28:03 PM »
Guys (RejZoR:) I appreciate your effort, but OTOH, I'm *reluctant* to making this thread sticky, for one simple reason - I *don't* think the settings RejZoR suggested are suitable for regular users...

Especially RE blocker - I would strongly recommend AGAINST turning it on, unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing... Blocking a (legitimate) file from being written can have very bad subsequences.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.