Author Topic: Solved: Unable to uninstalled Avast Free - stuck at unregister firewall  (Read 8792 times)

Offline KenE@21B

Just had this problem on Windows 8.1

After determining that the uninstall process was going nowhere, I ran Task Manager. Under Processes saw instup.exe and another (Avast) wsc_proxy.exe running. Right-clicked on the wsc_proxy.exe and selected End Process Tree. This process terminated, several others started and terminated (quite quickly)  Repeated End Process Tree on subsequent Avast uninstaller executables until prompted to restart. Avast is now uninstalled

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The instup.exe handles the installation and update processes, I don't know if it is involved in the uninstall (but I think not). I just wonder if that was running an update check at the time you did your uninstall.

Ordinarily the instup.exe runs shortly after boot and periodically after that checking for updates, once it has done that it should close down and not be listed in the task manager screen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security