Author Topic: Avast Web Shield prevents Phillips HUE Clip website from working  (Read 4131 times)

REDACTED

When developing Phillips HUE apps, developers use the clip website on the HUE hub, for example http://192.168.1.3/debug/clip.html.  Responses from this website do NOT return a "Content-Length" header, but instead returns a "connection: close" header.  Apparently Web Shield is waiting for the content length header to determine whether the request has finished to analyze the received data....which consequently hangs the request and never allows the stream back to the browser for display.  Eventually, the browser just times out.  I've tried adding a website exception for "192.168.1.*", but that doesn't make any difference.  I've also tried disabling every other setting available on Web Shield to no avail.  Only if I disable Web Shield, will the website function normally.  I'd really like to be able to leave Web Shield on, for protection against other sites, but until this fundamental problem is resolved, i'm unable to leverage it.  Avast, what's your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Web Shield prevents Phillips HUE Clip website from working
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 02:33:21 AM »
What OS/SP ?
What exact version of avast ?
Any other security (related) software installed ? (or was there)

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 02:41:27 AM »
Windows 10 Pro & Home (issue exhibited on both machines of mine)
Avast v. 17.4.2294 (build 17.4.3482.0)
Virus Definitions 170620-0
No other security software.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 06:11:56 PM »
Timeout issue confirmed:

See below.  Running Windows 10 native firewall atm.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 06:42:17 PM »
Hello guys, thanks for the report. Would you be able to send me a packet capture (Fiddler capture) from the communication? We don't have Phillips Hue here now and would like to test it. "Connection: close" is a very common header and WebShield surely handles that correctly - for some reason it might fail here, but we need to look at this.

Thanks a lot,
Lukas.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 02:39:41 AM »
Sure -- packet capture with a simple get request from the clip UI:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au-HF_1Cs-ycg7ogg8Ej8Zq5KPCacA

Please let me know if you need anything additional.

Mark

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 07:06:42 AM »
Lukor,

By the way, something else I've noticed.  I just had at&t fiber installed (300Mb/s) at the house and with Web Shield activated there's a HUGE decrease in broadband speed using Ookla's broadband speed test. 

With Web Shield active (all other shields active too)...
PING: 3 ms,  DOWNLOAD: 228.26 Mbps,  UPLOAD: 363.37 Mbps

After disabling Web Shield ONLY...
PING: 2 ms,  DOWNLOAD: 372.59 Mbps,  UPLOAD: 349.51 Mbps  (my other 3 computers confirm this average speed)

I know Avast checking the download stream is going to take a bit of processing, but it seems like the CPU can't keep up and slows the overall stream down > 100Mbps.  Is this about right on what's happening?  I'm only thinking this because while the download is going on, CPU is pegged to 100% if Web Shield is active.  When I disable it, CPU never goes above 80%
..for background, This machine is a Win10, Core 2 Quad (q9550) 2.83Ghz, 8gb ram.

Any developments on a solution for the Philips HUE issue?  Were you able to use the fiddler capture?

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »
Have patience, avast knows about the problem and is investigating/working on a solution.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 12:30:42 AM »
Eddy, all I was looking for was an acknowledgement that he received the file.  I'd like to take it off my share.  Also to report a second issue.  Patience here is not the issue.  Don't be so quick yourself.  I can tell customer service is not your strong point.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 12:48:30 AM »
I don't have to give customer service anymore as I am retired.
I also don't work for avast and never have.