Author Topic: standard shield  (Read 2258 times)

drhayden1

standard shield
« on: April 11, 2006, 02:45:54 PM »
i'm curious......when i pause my standard shield to scan with my retail version of ad-aware se plus,spy sweeper and ewido...........my windows control panel--security center---virus protection says that my avast!4.6.763(VPS 0615-0)is turned off........is pausing the standard shield turning the whole thing off and to run my spyware stuff is it safe.....or leave shield on????????????? 1 more question .....is it o.k to on sensitivity to have on high on all providers or just internal mail cause' i use outlook express and incredimail........my web mail works fine(knowing you had to open port 12080)and my standard shield and everything........just having those 2 questions above ;D :D 8) ::) :P.......my avast works great......................thanks....................
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 02:55:31 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: standard shield
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 03:15:47 PM »
To all intents an purposes as far as WSC is concerned it is off because it isn't active and that is what it is monitoring. It is safe to pause standard shield to do a scan with another scanner (obviously being on-line at the time isn't advised), this is to avoid conflict between two active scanners, potentially doubling the files scanned and possible false detection of the other scanners signatures. I always pause standard shield before another scan and ignore WSC's warning.

It is safe to have it on any setting you choose, life is a compromise between performance and protection. I can't say what your requirements are so you should decide, if the High sensitivity is scanning lots of files and potentially slowing your system, allied to that what data do you have that if you lost it would cause lots of grief. On that note, ensure that you back-up that data so it isn't lost, have a recovery plan as to how you would recover from any catastrophe be that virus, hard disk failure, etc.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 03:41:44 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 03:22:51 PM »
thanks david....................you always have good advice as does everyone here on the forum.........must have a clean computer.......been a long time since i've encounted a virus or spyware or scum like that......just the normal tracking cookies,ect....................................have a good one ;D :D..........avast(THE BEST)and the other stuff i have must be doing their job on my alienware notebook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 03:43:21 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 03:42:25 PM »
No problem, it would probably been easier to understand if I hadn't abbreviated the Windows Security Center to WCC when it should have been WSC ;D edited in original.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drhayden1

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 03:45:11 PM »
i just modified my message while you posted yours..............thanks for the comeback on wcc.........here i go out into the real world.......thanks avast forum! 8) :o
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 03:46:45 PM by drhayden1 »