Author Topic: Avast UI Failed to Load (AV service is not responding)  (Read 39415 times)

REDACTED

Avast UI Failed to Load (AV service is not responding)
« on: June 24, 2017, 11:29:58 PM »
Hello,
My desktop personal computer is running Avast Free AntiVirus version 17.4.2294 under Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 (32-bits). However the Avast software failed to launch and failed to run successfully after Windows startup (normal mode).
This problem happened yesterday Friday June 23rd 2017 afternoon after solving out some technical issues related to memory usage, apparently not connected with any security software programs in general and with Avast software program in particular.
When Admin user trying to execute the software user interface from the Windows Taskbar, it says the following message :
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      "Avast UI failed to load. This is really embarrassing. AV service is not responding"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried to make a repair operation on Avast software program through the appropriate option in the Control Panel but it did not work out as a solution. The Avast icon in the right-hand side of the Taskbar still shows a red-colored cross.
Can anybody from the avast forum community help me out with this technical issue ?
Thanks in advance,
Romain44.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Avast UI Failed to Load (AV service is not responding)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 03:10:31 AM »
Check to make sure your Terminal Services is running.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 07:24:03 AM »
Hi,

I've got the same problem...
Check to make sure your Terminal Services is running.
What, where, how? Please could you give a bit more information or guidance? Search for 'Terminal services' on my computer just comes up with remote access stuff and I doubt I'd have to start that...

Best regards,
Kerstin

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 07:37:32 AM »
Thank you,

I guess it means calling up the Task Manager first, then switching to the tab 'services' there... ?
And then manually starting the Avast services? (Avast Antivirus and Avast Firewall Service)

Well, I did that - but it doesn't solve the problem, I still get 'UI failed to load'.
Any other ideas?
Best, Kerstin

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 07:38:42 AM »
No, you need to make sure that the Terminal service is running.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 07:44:41 AM »
'the Terminal service' => like... name?
If this doesn't mean the Avast services that are in that list, how can I identify the service in question? In that seemingly a mile long list there is none that's called 'terminal service' so I really don't know which is the one.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 07:52:16 AM »
What's your OS ?
here , romain44 talk about Win xp SP3
On other OS not sure there is "Terminal server" named like this.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 07:53:38 AM »
Try this:

Windows key + R key pressed together.

Enter in the RUN Box services.msc

Scroll down to Terminal Service and start (run) that service.  Set it so it automatically starts in the Properties window when Windows starts.  Close the Services window when done and reboot.

This only applies to XP3.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 08:04:51 AM »
Ah, sorry, I'm on Windows 8.1 - I overlooked that detail in romain's message -.-.

In the task manager, services tab, I'm in the extended mode, but I don't find anything like box services either.
After some more research I even activated the remote support services in the system options but it didn't help. (And I don't have the slightest idea what caused the problem in the first place or I'd try to backtrack my steps - *sigh)

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 03:43:51 PM »
Ah, sorry, I'm on Windows 8.1 - I overlooked that detail in romain's message -.-.

In the task manager, services tab, I'm in the extended mode, but I don't find anything like box services either.
After some more research I even activated the remote support services in the system options but it didn't help. (And I don't have the slightest idea what caused the problem in the first place or I'd try to backtrack my steps - *sigh)
Remote support services allows someone to access your system remotely.
I suggest you start your own topic since it's not related to this one and give a much detail as possible.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 08:59:07 AM »
Except that I had the same error with AVAST and ended up feeling puzzled when I was asked to see if the TERMINAL SERVICE was running and the trail stops here.

Since ALL services are listed I expect TERMINAL SERVICE to be listed as a service, possibly with a status of DISABLED or STOPPED or BROKEN or MISSING, but there is no entry for a TERMINAL SERVICE at all.   I think it may be renamed or included in some other service in WIndows 10 based on the lack of hits when I searched for it.

BUT regardless!  I had the same symptoms as kersten13 and was able to get AVAST working again by doing the following:

Press WINDOWS key
 "ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS"
Choose AVAST program and pick "MODIFY"   (the other option is "UNINSTALL")
Another window comes up with various options (update, repair, modify) choose "REPAIR"
When it finishes the repair process, try to run AVAST again.

NOTE: You get the exact same error! But this time when it prompts to ask if you want to restart the AVAST SERVICE it works.

Or rather, it did for me.   :-)

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 02:20:04 AM »
Getting the exact same issue as mentioned.

"Avast UI Failed to Load"

Running Windows 10 64bit.

I've tried both clean uninstalling (several times) and repairing through the windows control panel uninstall.

Still keep getting the little red cross in the system icon tray and have to click restart to get it working. Happened a few time over the past week or so but today its constantly failing.

I also looked for terminal service and see no such service listed?

Anyone found any other fix?

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 01:15:47 PM »

Since ALL services are listed I expect TERMINAL SERVICE to be listed as a service, possibly with a status of DISABLED or STOPPED or BROKEN or MISSING, but there is no entry for a TERMINAL SERVICE at all.   I think it may be renamed or included in some other service in WIndows 10 based on the lack of hits when I searched for it.

Quote from: Stevie wonder
Running Windows 10 64bit
I also looked for terminal service and see no such service listed?

have a look:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/windows/desktop/dd979766(v=vs.85).aspx

but not sure "UI failed to load" issue with W10 is the same than with WinXP
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:19:16 PM by chris05 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
There is no Terminal Service in windows 10 as such, but there is another Service (the name of which escapes me) that actually makes the same call as the Terminal Service does in winXP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security