Author Topic: rescue stick, why ntfs?  (Read 10531 times)

REDACTED

rescue stick, why ntfs?
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:43:50 AM »
I presume Avast staffers read theses things.

Is it really necessary to format the rescue USB sticks with NTFS? Apparently, UEFI based machines only do FAT32 sticks unless you enable some legacy mode which, I'm warned, can cause problems (not sure what kind of problems as my experience was fine). Point is, using FAT32 seems much more straightforward, both BIOS and UEFI can use it without fussing with the system settings and people like me won't have to spend hours on a wild goose chase. Is there some compelling reason to use NTFS over FAT32? (How about Linux based rescue sticks?)

Regards

PS can you please use CAPTCHAs that are easier to read.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: rescue stick, why ntfs?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 07:34:55 AM »
You don't have to format a stick, the rescue disk creator is handling it.
UEFI can handle NTFS perfectly fine.

The captcha is there the first 3 posts helping to keep spammers away.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 11:23:33 AM »
I know the creator formats the stick, my question was directed to TPTB at Avast.

In my case, I had to monkey around with my BIOS settings and enable some legacy support mode to be able to boot from the rescues stick. Maybe some computers can handle it perfectly fine (which I take to mean out of the box) but apparently not all. It looks like FAT32 sticks will "just work" with anything, but I could be wrong.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 12:48:28 PM »
In none of my systems that has UEFI I need to enable legacy support in order to handle NTFS.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 12:52:06 PM »
In none of my systems that has UEFI I need to enable legacy support in order to handle NTFS.
+1
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0