Author Topic: Cleanup doesn't work !  (Read 11935 times)

REDACTED

Re: Cleanup doesn't work !
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 10:49:40 PM »
At the end of the day I don't mind an advert at the start of a free edition and an advert at the end when I finish.
That way it would pay for a very good free edition that stops everything an Anti-virus should stop.
All this extra things should be on another programme from Avast.

Keep it simple.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2017, 12:05:46 AM »
First of all real anti-virus software hasn't been developed for many years.

Secondly CleanUp is not a anti-malware tool.
It is a tool to CleanUp things on your system e.g. temporary files, obsolete registry entries etc.

There is nothing wrong for a company to produce multiple products.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2017, 01:22:08 AM »
<snip>
It is a tool to CleanUp things on your system e.g. temporary files, obsolete registry entries etc.

I have no problem with companies developing other programs, but when they put cripple-ware (not fully functioning unless you pay) in the product when it really has no security function anyway.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2017, 01:48:01 PM »
<snip>

I have no problem with companies developing other programs, but when they put cripple-ware (not fully functioning unless you pay) in the product when it really has no security function anyway.

Exactly my point.
Why try to do more than stop a Virus (not that there are a lot around these days), stop Malware and try to stop Ransomware.
All the rest are just pointless and quite often are poorly designed without proper tick boxes to select what to get rid of.
Outdated Software; okay, flag it up, but open the programme to get the update, often doing it through software does not work anyway.

A good Firewall that is easy to use and password protected to go with Anti-virus, Anti-malware Malware, and a good Anit-Cyber attacker is of much more value that a load of gimmicks.
Especially when you only make this available on paid for versions.
Stick to what you are best at and try to be the best at it.

REDACTED

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2017, 01:52:22 PM »
I think Avast was at its best when I could click on it and if it hadn't updated it would go and do it.
It has lost its way a bit I think.

To many cooks spoil the broth, to many add-ons spoil the software.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2017, 02:29:48 PM »
Stop complaining and start learning that avast is offering multiple tools and that (although some overlap) they all have their own task.
It is up to the user if he wants to use one or more of them (either free or paid)
If the user wants to use a tool for something, I would say first look if you already can't do it with what you already have.
Fact is that non of those tools are doing anything that the users can't already do himself with the options Windows, Linux, FreeBSD etc already are offering.

People should not use a tool to e.g. the browser data (cache).
Browsers have that option already build in.
People seem to have forgotten about or not even heard about F1.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2017, 04:51:46 PM »
I think Avast was at its best when I could click on it and if it hadn't updated it would go and do it.
It has lost its way a bit I think.

To many cooks spoil the broth, to many add-ons spoil the software.
-> https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB96#artTitle (Add/Remove components)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0