Author Topic: UI failed to load (AV service is not responding) - on Windows 8.1  (Read 3752 times)

REDACTED

Hello all,

It was suggested that I start my own topic because my problem doesn't relate to the one described in the other thread with the same topic line... so here we go:

For the last few days I've only been getting this failure notification:

Avast doesn't start, my system tray tells me I'm not protected.
I don't recall exactly when it happened for the first time and what I might have done causing it or I'd try to trace back and undo it.
Since then I tried to repair and to reinstall Avast, to no avail.

I got a suggestion to start Terminal services but couldn't work out how (it was meant to help with Windows XP since I overlooked the bit about having a different OS than the one who started that other thread). Maybe it would even help for me but either it's called differently in Windows 8.1 or it's in a different place so I don't find it  - or the solution really is something completely different after all.
Some internet research for 'start terminal services windows 8.1' brought up tips about 'How do I enable terminal services on Windows 8' which basically explains how to enable some remote desktop stuff. Even if I thought this couldn't be the right thing, I still tried it.

So, for the record, my OS is Windows 8.1, and I use Avast Internet Security 17.4.2294

Please, does someone have an idea what I can do to get Avast running again and could you guide me through the steps?

Thanks in advance for your patience - your help is very much appreciated!
Best regards,
Kerstin

PS: I'd try and contact Avast support but sadly that's impossible because it seems I remembered the wrong password - using the 'forgot password' function doesn't work either because I simply don't get any email from this function (yes, I checked both the spelling of my email address and also my junk folder multiple times and there's clearly nothing), but I definitely registered back then when I purchased the package because it tells me that my email address is in use. So for this forum I registered an account with a different email address but support requires the one that's tied to my Avast ID, which leaves me somewhere in limbo...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: UI failed to load (AV service is not responding) - on Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 09:08:31 PM »
Perform a clean installation of the latest avast version and see if that solves it.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 09:14:37 PM »
An important caveat is that both XP and Vista require an internet connection while avast is installed.  This is so additional softwares can be retrieved from the avast server when using the offline installer.

So either the online or offline installer should work with the exception of the offline requiring an internet connection.

Windows 7 and up do not require an internet connection as all required packages are included in the (offline) install.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:14:09 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 10:15:20 PM »
Thank you both!

Deinstalling it completely and doing a clean reinstallation afterwards really did the trick, I really hope it's going to last ;)

Thread can be closed,
best regards, Kerstin

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 10:22:30 PM »
You're welcome.