Author Topic: I have a question?  (Read 5803 times)

REDACTED

I have a question?
« on: June 27, 2017, 09:59:23 PM »
I saw that the Avast Cleanup was for free for 30 days, and would it automatically bill me? If so, I would like to cancel the first billing, because I did not mean to purchase the product.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: I have a question?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 10:03:56 PM »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 02:26:03 PM »
I have been automatically billed 30 euros for a full year of CleanUp, even though I did not request it.
Avast says a 30 day money back guarantee and that is what I want to see.
I posted the ticket a couple of hours ago and I did not even get a confirmation e-mail.

Please respond

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 03:03:07 PM »
Have patience.
Current handling time for tickets is +/- 15 business days.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 03:21:47 PM »
Have patience.
Current handling time for tickets is +/- 15 business days.

Thanks for reply  :)
Appreciate

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 03:36:04 PM »
I have been automatically billed 30 euros for a full year of CleanUp, even though I did not request it.
I posted the ticket a couple of hours ago and I did not even get a confirmation e-mail.

Please respond

The 30 day guarantee is, if you ask for a refund within 30 days of purchase then you are entitled to a refund (that doesn't include any processing time).

However, if you took out a 30 day trial you get billed at the end of the 30 days, to do that you must have given then your billing/payment details. If you don't want to proceed you need to cancel that auto payment, information in the link Eddy gave in the post above yours.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »

Please respond

The 30 day guarantee is, if you ask for a refund within 30 days of purchase then you are entitled to a refund (that doesn't include any processing time).

However, if you took out a 30 day trial you get billed at the end of the 30 days, to do that you must have given then your billing/payment details. If you don't want to proceed you need to cancel that auto payment, information in the link Eddy gave in the post above yours.

Hello !
I gave them my billing details at the start of the trail, it was needed for a 0 dollar invoice (it was the only way I was eligible for the trial). Yesterday however, after the trial ended, Digital River wired 30 euroes from my bank account without ANY notification beforehand. I later got an invoice on my e-mail saying that I had successfully paid a full year of Avast CleanUp (which I did NOT want to do).
I canceled the autopayment succesfully but I still need my money back. The purchase took place yesterday so this is only my second day of 'purchase'. Although I did not purchase anything, it was done without my knowledge. :) 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 07:12:42 PM »
Unfortunately that is the problem with a 30 day trial, there might be a zero dollar invoice when you start the trial, as soon as the 30 days end and you haven't cancelled the payment instruction for the product is actioned.

Personally I don't like these types of 30 day trial, they really aren't free, you are in effect just delaying the payment.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 07:15:02 PM »
Personally I don't like these types of 30 day trial, they really aren't free, you are in effect just delaying the payment.
Agreed, it's just a marketing gimmick.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »
Agreed, it's just a marketing gimmick.

Not to mention when payment is taken, creates a bad feeling that is unlikely to produce a happy customer. Is the customer likely to purchase an avast product, I think not.  It is also likely to put a load on the support ticket system seeking a refund.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 07:52:06 PM »
Totally agree, especially since the automatic withdrawal is there in full view when one is filling out the payment details but is automatically ticked to action by default at the end of 30 days.  This not an action that one reasonably would be expected of a company of avast's stature.  They shouldn't have to resort to tactics such as this one to get new business. 

If Cleanup is losing money, get rid of it.

Very easy for the average consumer to overlook this 'marketing gimmick'.  For me, I'd ask why I am required to give out my financial data in order to get the 30-day trial in the first place.  The answer to that would stop me every time.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 01:01:53 AM »
Exactly, it just seems shady. Avast is a pretty respectable company and I would not have expected these types of maneuvers on their part. At first, I did not even realize what happened, I thought someone got access to my banking info and wanted to block the card.
Regardless, I expect the refund to take place no matter what. People have the possibility to get their money back if only they did not like the product. I did not even actually buy it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 01:26:23 AM »
I don't doubt that you will get your refund, but it really shouldn't have been necessary. For me a trial should be that at the end of it if you want to continue you purchase it.

It would save a lot of hassle all round.

I don't feel it is shady as such, there are many such instances of free trial not being totally free. If you don't cancel the auto payment instruction and many people just don't see the importance of what they have completed until the payment kicks in.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 09:20:12 AM »
No matter if you agree with the way avast does things (and I don't), let's not forget that the users should read/pay attention when they order something.
It is mentioned that after the 30 day trial it will become a paid subscription if the user doesn't cancel it in time.

Same as with the av.
They take e.g. a year subscription with auto-renewal (aka continues protection) enabled.
Next thing they do is complaining they where charged without their approval.
Well it happened with their approval, they have chosen for it themselves.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 05:22:01 PM »
No matter if you agree with the way avast does things (and I don't), let's not forget that the users should read/pay attention when they order something.

True.
But, your options should be clear & easy to understand.
It seems Avast does not make your options to auto renew or not easy to understand.
If they did people who get money sucked out of their accounts wouldn't get money taken out of their accounts.

I made this example options picture ---