Author Topic: Is update slowing my broadband?  (Read 14426 times)

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Is update slowing my broadband?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 01:09:10 PM »
The test worked fine for me using Chrome.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 01:26:09 PM »
Don't know if this .makes a difference:

We're getting way off topic.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline CrazyMonkey

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 02:39:01 PM »
Now i've switched off HTTPS scanning am i still fully protected or do i have to wait for an update?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 05:24:32 PM »
For those with high bandwidth connections, in excess of 100Mbits.
Some considerable time ago when very fast broadband started to take off (excuse pun) some noticed a slowdown in their downloads as the bottle neck between streamed (intelligent) scanning where the system was playing catchup.

It was suggested that those with very high bandwidth should consider switching off the 'Use intelligent stream scanning' option in the web shield. This means whatever is being downloaded isn't impeded in the download and is scanned when it has downloaded.

This might be worth a try as it is better to have https scanning enabled (as that is a high % of websites) and worse not disabling the web shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 06:08:36 PM »
It does seem a Vista issue for me.
40Mb here.

I have already had to turn off 'Streaming Updates' due to network issues (disconnects) - support advice (ticket)

Would appreciate any more ideas though, only just bought AV Pro.

There are 3 threads now.

REDACTED

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 06:17:19 PM »
Hi  :)

Yep!
I've turned Web Shield back ON and Enable HTTPS scanning back ON.
And I've now just turned... Use Intelligent Stream Scanning OFF.
Seems to work just fine.
Thanks!

Can I just say to whoever has been deleting my posts.  >:(
I haven't been posting to be a pain to any body. I just thought my experience with the instructions that I've followed on this thread that Have Helped Me might also help the original poster and maybe others too.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 06:27:29 PM »
Hi Rozea,

Thnx for your feedback, it is apreciated :)

I can see from the Moderation log two of your posts were deleted.
But I can't review those posts anymore, nor can I see why they were deleted.
Anyhow apologies from us moderators if we did something wrong.

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 06:37:45 PM »

Yep!
Seems to work just fine.
Thanks!

You're welcome, hopefully this could help others, but presumably those with fast broadband.

I haven't been posting to be a pain to any body. I just thought my experience with the instructions that I've followed on this thread that Have Helped Me might also help the original poster and maybe others too.

I'm not aware of why your post/s were deleted or why.

Generally only spam is removed, however if there are duplicate posts in a topic or multiple topics, that could see the duplicates removed. I don't know if any of your posts might have fallen to any of those categories.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2017, 06:56:46 PM »

Just to save time I did copy and paste a little bit from my own thread. So perhaps that's why my posts were deleted. 

However!
Just so the original poster knows...
It looks like I spoke to soon about the Use Intelligent Stream Scanning  :-[ Sorry!
When I logged out of this forum I noticed the webpage didn't load. So I tried a few others and they didn't load either.
I've now had to go back to turning Enable HTTPS Scanning - OFF

So the problem is definitely with XP or Vista and the Enable HTTPS Scanning.
And this only started after the last Avast Program Update.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2017, 07:03:27 PM »
As I mentioned in your other topic, my primary system is my desktop XP Pro SP3, details in my signature and no problems with that.

It may be that your bandwidth and mine are well below the 100Mbits level that any slowing may occur. So the 'Use intelligent stream scanning' option isn't going to have the same impact.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2017, 07:38:40 PM »

I'm not aware of why your post/s were deleted or why.

Generally only spam is removed, however if there are duplicate posts in a topic or multiple topics, that could see the duplicates removed. I don't know if any of your posts might have fallen to any of those categories.
A message that was sent to Rozea explaining why multiple related posts were removed straight after the action was performed.

Offline CrazyMonkey

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2017, 12:02:52 AM »

Yep!
Seems to work just fine.
Thanks!

Tried this but down to 180Kbps again.

What should i do now? will there be another update soon?

REDACTED

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2017, 01:15:21 AM »
Good topic.  I know that on speedtest, my results drop about 300+Mbps with Avast enabled.  I see my cloud backup speeds drop considerably as well.  This didn't use to be the case.  I think Avast is going the way of the others, more options present to protect you with more cost, more impact to your everyday use, etc. 

REDACTED

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2017, 04:58:12 PM »

Hi  CrazyMonkey  :)

Maybe you didn't notice but I was back shortly after to say...

Just so the original poster knows...
It looks like I spoke to soon about the Use Intelligent Stream Scanning  :-[ Sorry!
When I logged out of this forum I noticed the webpage didn't load. So I tried a few others and they didn't load either.
I've now had to go back to turning Enable HTTPS Scanning - OFF

So the problem is definitely with XP or Vista and the Enable HTTPS Scanning.
And this only started after the last Avast Program Update.

Sorry If I Caused Confusion!
I have no Idea why my internet seemed fine for a short while with Use Intelligent Stream Scanning OFF.
Perhaps the effects of turning Enable HTTPS Scanning back on again just hadn't kicked in.
But by the time I'd come back here, typed a post, sighed back out... My internet was impossible again!
I realise now that the Use Intelligent Stream Scanning problem is a completely different issue entirely. It affects only the people with really fast broadband like 100 Mbps and above. And is to do with their download speeds. I'm just on normal fibre broadband 40 Mbps.

So Just To Be Clear...
I'm using Vista
And I've got the websites never finishing to load problem.
Hopefully just a temporary solution until Avast updates us, I'm keeping... Enable HTTPS Scanning - OFF ( Unticked )
This really does solve the internet / browsing problem.

Offline Dix Huit

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2017, 08:26:03 PM »
Just to add a bit more data, I also have this problem under Windows XP (SP3).  Some pages load fine, some partially, some require several "refreshes", some do not load at all.  A good example is https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/main/index.html, which will load completely (after a few seconds) with "Enable HTTPS scanning" disabled but which will never load at all with "Enable HTTPS scanning" enabled.  And this definitely started after the update to Avast 17.5.2302.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:36:47 PM by Dix Huit »