Author Topic: Latest avast with latest virtualbox cause blue screen of death?  (Read 9974 times)

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Latest avast with latest virtualbox cause blue screen of death?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 01:36:27 PM »
Thanks for everyone, after 2 years the problem happens for me and disable AV the Virtual Machines works perfectly, no BSOD, I'll try disable "Enable Hardened Mode" to see if this solve the issue without disable AV.

Regards
Yes ,
an other same report with the latest avast version in the French section (VM started -> BSOD aswbidsdriver.sys)
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=228361.0

Offline treizh

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 03:24:26 PM »
Hello everyone,

as Chris just wrote above, I met a similar issue. I use Avast Free edition with Windows 10 Home. and since the last update I cannot run any VM anymore without getting a Blue screen error wth the SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION stop code.

To summarize my diagnosis, I already checked the Hyper-V and W10 Home incompatibility hypothesis, I also unplugged my last installed hardware and disabled the associated softwares auto-start.

And recently, I made a test, not with VirtualBox or VMware, but with Bluestacks (Android virtual device, FYI), the diagnosis data returned that a drivers and/or the Avast's suspect behavior agent service failed and caused the issue.

I tried to start my VMs without this agent enabled, and then my system crashed and restarted without any blue screen error (like a hard reset actually).
Today, I removed Avast from my computer and my VMs worked perfectly, even with several VMs reboots, I also managed to install Fedora x64 on a new VM.

I reinstalled Avast and a new blue screen confirmed my hypothesis but I have no data to prove it.
Check chris' hypertext link for more details.

Thanks for your attention.

Offline Evjls

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 05:29:52 PM »
avast developers should seriously consider disabling Hardware Virtualization option by default

it has been causing most incompatibility issues reported throughout the years

since I disabled the option, I have not had any compatibility problem for years

Offline Dsfs

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 12:33:58 AM »
Bump, I recently updated avast and WhoCrashed? found that the Virtualization Driver used by Avast was messing with VMware and VirtualBox.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:38:01 AM by Dsfs »

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 07:27:26 AM »
Hi,

the "nested virtualization" feature, which seems to be causing trouble to some of you will be disabled by default in next version. This will solve incompatibility/slowness of VMWare/Virtualbox(including clones like Nox/BlueStack) VMs on some systems.

Offline dominic58

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 05:59:11 PM »
I had the same problem but in the VM settings in Virtual Box 6.0.8 (System/Processor) 'Enable Nested VT-x/AMD-V' was already disabled (as was 'Enable PAE/NX'). Lots of BSODs.

Under VM settings System/Acceleration I disabled 'Enable Nested Paging' and disabled 'Enable VT-x/AMD-V' and now it seems to be stable (with Avast running).

(It may not be relevant but this is a DOS-6.22-based VM.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 06:01:37 PM by dominic58 »