Author Topic: Beta version of brand new Avast Cleanup product!  (Read 35848 times)

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Beta version of brand new Avast Cleanup product!
« on: June 28, 2017, 10:40:04 AM »
Hello everyone,

Brand new version of Avast Cleanup product is now available in Beta!

In this phase of a product lifecycle it is very important to get as much feedback as possible therefore we would like to ask you to help us with testing.

What's new in Avast Cleanup product?
  • Avast Antivirus independent - standalone product
  • Fresh looking user friendly UI
  • Program Deactivator puts background programs and services to sleep to save the PC's resources
  • Software Cleanup removes "bloatware" from your computer
  • More powerful cleaning tools than before
  • Rescue Center to safely revert changes made by the product
  • And many more - it's up to you to explore the product and find them!

How can you help?
  • Download the Beta version: http://tuneup.avast.tools.avcdn.net/tools/avast/betatuneup/avast_cleanup_setup.exe.
  • Execute the installation package and go through the wizard to install the product.
  • The product shall guide you or you can freely navigate through it and try it on your own to see how it works.
  • Please try as much features as you can to see how they work and check whether there are any bugs or unexpected behavior.
  • If you find any bugs during testing, please create a new thread in this forum section.
  • Please provide us also with feedback about what you like most and what you would change.
  • Since we aim to deliver the best Cleanup product - would you add anything to Cleanup that is missing? Do not hesitate to share your feedback!

Known issues
  • Junk Programs does not automatically remove the programs in Trash when you uninstall the product. Please either uninstall or restore ALL the programs you have in Trash before you uninstall Cleanup.
  • Background and startup programs - some programs which are scheduled to sleep automatically wakes up after computer restart.

Thank you & enjoy the beta testing!
AVAST Team.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Beta version of brand new Avast Cleanup product!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 10:41:56 AM »
If there are known issues, it is not a BETA but a ALPHA version and it should not be released to the public for testing.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »
How about fixing the problems with the old version before putting out a new version ?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 11:34:27 AM »
I tried the beta.
I tried my Cleanup Premium activation numbers & it said invalid.
I don't have a license.
The only options left were to buy a license or Exit, which closed the program.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »
Hello David550,

first of all, thank you for participating, we really appreciate that!

Regarding the old version, we decided to create a successor of the old Cleanup so this new product which is in Beta right now is kind of evolution of the old one.
We would like to replace the old one and all users who already have a valid license will get the new product and they can still use their licenses.

With regards to the license as you described, it seems like a bug because there is an embedded license within the installation package which shall be used automatically during the installation. If the product asks for a license after installation it is not the intended behavior.
We already encountered the same issue and we are working on fix, I will keep you updated once it will be fixed.

Thanks!

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 12:30:18 PM »
ok.
I hope you fix it quicker than the old version.
Which still doesn't work. :(

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 12:42:53 PM »
With regards to the license as you described, it seems like a bug because there is an embedded license within the installation package which shall be used automatically during the installation. If the product asks for a license after installation it is not the intended behavior.
We already encountered the same issue and we are working on fix, I will keep you updated once it will be fixed.
Please do so, as nobody can test the new beta, atm. ;) Cheers.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 01:02:33 PM »
As (for example) CCleaner does the same job for free, isn't it a waste of time and money to keep developing CleanUp ?

Next to that tools like CleanUp don't do anything the user can't do already himself with the options he has through the OS.

e.g.
Cleaning the cache of a browser.
Simply navigate through a file explorer to the folder and delete everything that is in there.
No tool needed for that at all, let alone paying for a tool that does it.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 12:23:09 AM »
Avast should post, here, a list of the things the beta & the old version clean up that CCleaner does not clean up.

I agree that if the Avast Cleanup does not clean up things better than CCleaner, why bother with it ?

No need really to post about the old version since it has failed to work from day 1.  >:(   :(   :o   :'(

EDIT---

"And many more - it's up to you to explore the product and find them!"

I don't agree with that at all !  ::)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:30:49 AM by David550 »

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 12:55:11 AM »
I purchased the cleanup licence and activated on avast free antivirus but process does not start.

So I downloaded the beta version of it and tried to enter the activation code but it says its incorrect activation code.
My clenup license is valid until 6/14/2018
What should I do now.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 01:23:18 AM »
I purchased the cleanup licence and activated on avast free antivirus but process does not start.

So I downloaded the beta version of it and tried to enter the activation code but it says its incorrect activation code.
My cleanup license is valid until 6/14/2018
What should I do now.

Maybe since you used it on the free version first, it made it useless to use on the beta version ?
I posted a help link for you in the other forum.
You can ask Avast for help with it. :)

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 11:11:40 AM »
Hello,

for everyone who has troubles with activating the Beta version we have discovered that it is because of the Avast self-defense which is blocking the access to the license file and therefore the Cleanup cannot verify the license.
We already have prepared an update which shall resolve this issue but until we will be able to release it, here is a workaround you could use:
  • Navigate to Avast - Settings - Troubleshooting - Disable the Avast self-defense.
  • Start the Avast Cleanup and it shall check the license and run smoothly afterwards.
  • You can then safely re-enable the Avast self-defense.

Here is the picture of the Avast self-defense settings you should temporarily disable in order to get the Beta license into the Cleanup:

Sorry for the inconveniences and thank you for you support!

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 11:20:12 AM »
As (for example) CCleaner does the same job for free, isn't it a waste of time and money to keep developing CleanUp ?

Next to that tools like CleanUp don't do anything the user can't do already himself with the options he has through the OS.

e.g.
Cleaning the cache of a browser.
Simply navigate through a file explorer to the folder and delete everything that is in there.
No tool needed for that at all, let alone paying for a tool that does it.

Well not everyone is capable of doing such things on his own and our product is for this group of users who are not as tech savvy as you are.
Plus it is not just a cleaning tool but there are also other features like Background and startup programs which allows you to temporarily disable background processes and services if you not use the particular program at the moment in order to save some PC resources.

Last but not least this is the very first version of the new Cleanup and we would like to enhance the product and add more features into it in the future so if there is something you would like to see there you're more than welcome to share your idea or suggestion and we will try to make it live!

Thanks!

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 07:19:39 PM »
Hello,

for everyone who has troubles with activating the Beta version we have discovered that it is because of the Avast self-defense which is blocking the access to the license file and therefore the Cleanup cannot verify the license.
We already have prepared an update which shall resolve this issue but until we will be able to release it, here is a workaround you could use:
  • Navigate to Avast - Settings - Troubleshooting - Disable the Avast self-defense.
  • Start the Avast Cleanup and it shall check the license and run smoothly afterwards.
  • You can then safely re-enable the Avast self-defense.

Sorry for the inconveniences and thank you for you support!

It worked---

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 09:04:52 PM »
I cleaned my browser data & had to log into Gmail & everything else.
It slowed down the loading of pages in my Opera Speed Dial page.
A real pain in the butt.
There should be an Undo button for this option if you use it.
I didn't see one offered in the Recover menu.
A picture---