Author Topic: Web Shield Stops The Internet Working Properly  (Read 10567 times)

REDACTED

Web Shield Stops The Internet Working Properly
« on: June 29, 2017, 03:46:23 PM »
Hi  :)

With Avast Web Shield ON
Most websites never finish loading. Some don't load at all.
All browsers are affected... Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer.
Turning OFF Web Shield solves the problem.
But obviously this is not good!

I've had an awful couple of days. Well... 4 Days Actually!  :(
The Avast update or whatever it was that made the web shield cause internet browsing problems. Just happened to coincide with me setting up a new router. So obviously the new router was getting the blame for my browsing problems. Just couldn't figure out why only my laptop had a problem. not my sons desktop or any other device. And now I know why. Because it was Avast all along!

Vista Laptop
Websites will NOT load unless I turn off the Avast Web Shield  >:(

Thanks!

REDACTED

Re: Web Shield Stops The Internet Working Properly
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »

After reading this thread: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=204677.0

I turned Web Shield back on again. And just unticked - Enable HTTPS Scanning instead.
But as soon as I did that I noticed my laptops Fan kick off again.
As well as not being able to surf the web because of web pages not loading. The fan on my laptop has also been going crazy for the last 3 to 4 days.
I had put it down to never being able to reach a website properly.
But now I'm thinking that my hot laptop ( Fan Going Crazy ) is also to do with the Web Shield  :-\

Note...
I am able to browse the web with just Enable HTTPS scanning unticked.
But it's just that I noticed my laptop fan instantly go crazy as soon as I opened a browser and started to surf the web.

I've now turned the Web Shield OFF again!
I'll have to wait until my laptop cools down before I can turn it on again, with just HTTPS scanning turned off. To see if it really is the Web Shield making my laptop fan go crazy while trying to surf the web

Note... I'm Using Sandboxie.
So hopefully still got some protection while surfing.

Thanks!

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 06:33:59 PM »

After Reading This...

For those with high bandwidth connections, in excess of 100Mbits.
Some considerable time ago when very fast broadband started to take off (excuse pun) some noticed a slowdown in their downloads as the bottle neck between streamed (intelligent) scanning where the system was playing catchup.

It was suggested that those with very high bandwidth should consider switching off the 'Use intelligent stream scanning' option in the web shield. This means whatever is being downloaded isn't impeded in the download and is scanned when it has downloaded.

This might be worth a try as it is better to have https scanning enabled (as that is a high % of websites) and worse not disabling the web shield.

On This Thread Here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=204677.30

I've turned Web Shield back ON and Enable HTTPS scanning back ON.
And I've now just turned... Use Intelligent Stream Scanning OFF.
Seems to work just fine!  :D

The big coincidence is...
1) Vista Laptop
2) Upgraded To Fibre Optic Broadband Two Weeks Ago - 40 Down / 10 Up
3) Set Up My Own NON ISP Router The Very Same Day Of The Avast Update.
It hasn't half caused me some confusion.  :-[
I really thought it was either my new router that had messed up my laptops internet. Or my old laptop ready to die on me.

Will I be OK with Use Intelligent Stream Scanning turned OFF?
Or will there be an update at some point to put things right?

Note!
My sons Desktop computer is Windows 7 and even though he's on the same Fibre Optic Broadband connection. His computer seems fine.
However I will keep an eye out to see if he has any problems with updates and downloads etc.

PS.
My laptops fan is still going like the clappers. So perhaps that's just my old laptop and nothing to do with Avast.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:35:58 PM by Rozea »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 06:58:54 PM »
<snip>
Will I be OK with Use Intelligent Stream Scanning turned OFF?
Or will there be an update at some point to put things right?
<snip>

The information that I posted about the 'Use intelligent stream scanning' option was given many years ago by one of the very senior Avast Team, so I don't believe he would give that advise if would but you at risk.

How I see it is a case of when the content downloaded is scanned (not if it is scanned or not); in little chunks as it is downloaded; or when it is completed.

I have pretty much the same internet bandwidth with my BT Fibre Optic broadband on this XP Pro desktop system (so even earlier than Vista) and I haven't experienced this. I also have a win10 Home x64 laptop using wifi on this connection. I also have a win7 SP1 netbook that wouldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding and that also connects using wifi.

All of these systems have the 'Use intelligent stream scanning' option enabled and no problem, I'm at a loss as to why you are having this problem (so perhaps Vista could have an impact).

I don't know if you have checked your laptop air intake/exhaust cleaned any blockage can raise temps forcing the fan to work overtime.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 07:02:27 PM »

How Embarrassing  :-[

Sorry!
But It looks like I spoke to soon about the Use Intelligent Stream Scanning  :-[
When I logged out of this forum I noticed the webpage didn't load. So I tried a few others and they didn't load either.
I've now had to go back to turning Enable HTTPS Scanning - OFF

Should have known really. Because I got Fibre Optic Broadband two weeks ago. But the problem with my Vista Laptop didn't start until I got that last Avast program update.

So the problem is definitely with XP or Vista and the Enable HTTPS Scanning.
And this only started after the last Avast Program Update.

Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 07:07:29 PM »
As I mentioned in your other topic, my primary system is my desktop XP Pro SP3, details in my signature and no problems with that.

It may be that your bandwidth and mine are well below the 100Mbits level that any slowing may occur. So the 'Use intelligent stream scanning' option isn't going to have the same impact.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 04:27:31 PM »

As getting my internet back was my main concern yesterday I forgot to mention something else.
I think it was about a week ago, just a few days before the last program update. Avast on boot up would tell me my shields were down and I had to click to turn them on again. I'm sure this happened twice in the few days before the last program update. And I can actually remember thinking that's probably what the program update was for.

Then yesterday on boot up Avast told me that something to do with my Antivirus wasn't working and to click to turn it on. Most websites were completely unreachable yesterday morning after boot up. And I think that was what finally made me twig that maybe Avast was causing my laptops internet problems.

This morning there was no problems with Avast on boot up. But there was a major power cut just a minute after turning my laptop on. Hence why it's took me so long to come back here.  ::) My Luck! 

I've still got... Enable HTTPS Scanning - OFF

Thanks!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 04:33:51 PM »
Perform a clean installation of the latest avast version and check if the problem is solved.

And please make sure the laptop is free of dust (inside) and use a laptop cooler.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 04:09:11 AM »
The same problem started a week ago for me also, but with AVG installed, thinking that was the problem I removed AVG and installed AVAST (yes I know there made by the same people now) but the problem was still there.

After some experimenting I found switching off Web Shield fixed the problem, and some more googling found HTTPS unchecked solved the problem (Use Intelligent Stream Scanning OFF didn't work)

In common with this problem is VISTA which is on this comp, also on Fibre Optic Broadband.

But I have 2 other comps at another location both running VISTA, with AVG, ADSL2 and different ISP to the Fibre Optic Broadband comp, that developed the same problem a day later (possibly after AVG updates). Unchecking HTTPS in AVG also works.

So it seems to me something with AVG and AVAST has changed??

Offline Dix Huit

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 06:31:32 PM »
The same problem started a week ago for me also, but with AVG installed, thinking that was the problem I removed AVG and installed AVAST (yes I know there made by the same people now) but the problem was still there.

After some experimenting I found switching off Web Shield fixed the problem, and some more googling found HTTPS unchecked solved the problem (Use Intelligent Stream Scanning OFF didn't work)

In common with this problem is VISTA which is on this comp, also on Fibre Optic Broadband.

But I have 2 other comps at another location both running VISTA, with AVG, ADSL2 and different ISP to the Fibre Optic Broadband comp, that developed the same problem a day later (possibly after AVG updates). Unchecking HTTPS in AVG also works.

This is considered to be a bug, but apparently only occurs on Vista and XP.  We are still waiting for it to be fixed.  :(

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 06:04:59 PM »
Reverting back to an older version of Avast until this is worked out (running Vista). Didn't see the HTTPS scanning workaround until after reverting
but turning off web shield didn't seem to help anyway. youtube would stop buffering, websites would only partially load with images
not showing up. Very frustrating.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 07:37:29 PM »
Unchecking HTTPS in AVG also works.

Thank you. I have the same problem. I spent 1 week to found the reason and reach this website.

1)
I can not see (or take time consuming) to see YouTube and https Websites, including click Google serch results when
 the website have HTTPS.

My
Avasta Version
Build Number:

2)
Some solution seems found.
When disabling [HTTPS Scanning] on Web Shield ]
in the setting pannel of Avast, the problem seems to be cleared.

Enable HTTPS Scanning - OFF

3)
Following information may be helpful for other users having problems in wolrd wide in different langadges.
Since the many Avast user are reporting similar problem in different langadge including Japanese BBS community for Avast and AVG.
(Several portion of people are also telling avastclear or AVG_Clear.exe did not work well under safe mode.)

I just celean re-installed WINDOWS VISTA OS about 7 months ago to clean my PC.
I initialized HDD and VISTA OS to cleaned up PC 7 months ago.

Then, I started to install all software programs to refresh PC.
I have been re-installing and recovering process of VISTA PC for 7 months.

I also re-installed Avast too, about 7 months ago.

4)
Since AVG have following [UI Failing to load]  problem, I uninstalled AVG on June 2017.

UI Failing to load
https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000DmjXAAS

(from AVG community)

Bad/Problem progam Edition
AVG Antivirus Free Version: 17.4.3014
Build Number: 17.4.3482.0

5)
As [vlct] mentioned in above,

>[Unchecking HTTPS in AVG also works.

So it seems to me something with AVG and AVAST has changed??]

Now problem edition of [AVG 17.4.3014] is asking to update edition to

AVG Antivirus Free Version: 17.5.2302

(in my other new Windows 10 computer under set up. All protection Shield of AVAST has beed inactivated in Windows10 for testing.)

This edition number is the same as which have current Avast Web Shield problem edition:

Avasta Version
Publication day: late June 2017

6)What is going on in Avast and AVG?
including edition number and probram problems.

I know Abast and AVG became single company.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 07:42:10 PM »

7)
Abast Web Shield problem is obvious,

It is significant/important to publish the official comment for this problem to users in  Avasta and AVG Website, including other langadges too.

Currently, I found some comment from other Avast web site community in other lanuadge

"If computer is not fuctioning, check Avast first, insted of visrus infection."

It have been ture for me..
I am chacking Avast and AVG. Then,the problems are found...

8)
I also found similar problem in both AVG and Avast official and other communities.
Why don't you (technical supports for Avast and AVG, or moderators) make official comments and single big joint main thread or discussion page in/for AVG and Avast.

(from Avast community)

UI Failed to Load is just part of the problem
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=205725.0

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=204531.0

Comment by [sjesme2]
>[FYI: repair does not fix the problem and neither does a clean install (using avastclear in safe mode and manually removing any leftover avast/awil folders)]
>[... after 15 years of using Avast, I am unwilling to move on unless I absolutely must.]

commnet:
(Several portion of people are also telling avastclear or AVG_Clear.exe did not work well under safe mode.)

Is there [avastRemover.exe] similar to [AVG_Remover.exe]? , Just in case

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 10:18:12 PM »

Dear vlct,

What is your AVG Version number and OS of your PC?

Bad/Problem progam Edition
AVG Antivirus Free Version: 17.4.3014
Build Number: 17.4.3482.0

or newer edition?

AVG Antivirus Free Version: 17.5.2302
This edition number is the same as problem Avast edition (17.5.2302 and 17.5.2303).

===

Problem Avast Version
Build

Problem Avast Version
(This latest edition was not repaired in July 19, 2017 according to other user in 2ch)
(Maybe depend on OS and 32/64 bit type. In Windows7 64bit maybe work. )

Regarding:
disabling [HTTPS Scanning] on Web Shield ]
Enable HTTPS Scanning - OFF

Offline Dix Huit

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 10:11:52 PM »
This has now been fixed, at least for me.  :D A "micro" update has been released to address this - I think it was installed either when the PC was booted or when I updated the virus definitions.  Try turning your HTTPS scanning back on to see.