Author Topic: Vulnerable To Wannacry/DoublePulsar Attack Warning?  (Read 19102 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Vulnerable To Wannacry/DoublePulsar Attack Warning?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2017, 09:43:11 PM »
Why did my computer tech tell me to turn Windows Update off then?
Sorry to say, but best you kick him and hire someone else.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Dix Huit

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2017, 10:11:17 PM »
He stated that sometimes there are bugs within updates, requiring Windows to be re-installed, so it is better to just avoid the hassle of potential issues and just turn Windows Update off.

By turning Windows Update on and installing all cumulative and security updates, will the MS17-010 update patch will be automatically installed as well?

It is true that there are sometimes bugs, but getting infected with something nasty will likely cause much more hassle than re-installing Windows.  Most versions of Windows will allow you to back up the entire hard drive ("system image"), and you could restore from one of these backups if an update to Windows, or a virus, or even ransomware is causing you grief.

The MS17-010 update should be installed with the rest.  You can check on it by looking for "KB4012598" in the list of installed updates.

Offline I_See_Bad_People

• i_See_Bad_People
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2019, 04:06:08 AM »
I reformatted my laptop, installed Avast, and only hours later, ran Avast Wi-Fi Inspector and got this warning of vulnerability to WANNACRY..   The recommended patch didn't work, then my computer started taking forever to do anything.. almost frozen.. The fan was going HARD and staying that way.. I noticed in Task Manager, that Avast Browser was running a bunch of processes.. So I uninstalled it, and installed every single Windows Update that I could.. Kept telling it to check for updates until there were no more.. Now the Wi-Fi Inspector Scan says that everything is secure and good! ...I believe the Windows Updates were what fixed it.!!

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2019, 06:49:43 AM »
I reformatted my laptop, installed Avast, and only hours later, ran Avast Wi-Fi Inspector and got this warning of vulnerability to WANNACRY..   The recommended patch didn't work, then my computer started taking forever to do anything.. almost frozen.. The fan was going HARD and staying that way.. I noticed in Task Manager, that Avast Browser was running a bunch of processes.. So I uninstalled it, and installed every single Windows Update that I could.. Kept telling it to check for updates until there were no more.. Now the Wi-Fi Inspector Scan says that everything is secure and good! ...I believe the Windows Updates were what fixed it.!!
Which is what the OP was told to do many times in this thread....  All Avast did was warn of an issue that could/would lead to an infected system as it did for you.  AFAIK the OP never did follow advice.  (Please note last post was made on July 1, 2017, two years ago).
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801