Author Topic: MS Updates and Avast warnings  (Read 4986 times)

emy80

MS Updates and Avast warnings
« on: April 12, 2006, 09:18:18 PM »
I've used that  guide:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20412.0

To change my Avast setting. but since I wasn't sure I did everything correctly, to return to the default settings I uninstalled Avast using the tool in the download page and reinstalled it.

Today I wanted to download the MS updates so I went to the MS Update page using IE and started to check for updates. it gave me one crotical update to be installed and I said yes.

While it was installing Avast popped some warning asking for permission to write a bunch of files from some windows processes. One of them was update.exe. I don't reacall the others. i gave permission but I'd like to know if that's normal.

I update rarely on manual downloading directly from the Microsoft site but those warnings make me uneasy. Why Avast warned me? I thought I got rid of the customizations once I uninstalled and uinstalled Avast again without changing any settings.  :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: MS Updates and Avast warnings
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 09:31:41 PM »
I've used that guide: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20412.0
For sure only for advanced users. Common installations does not require this kind of enhancement and tweak.

While it was installing Avast popped some warning asking for permission to write a bunch of files from some windows processes. One of them was update.exe. I don't reacall the others. i gave permission but I'd like to know if that's normal.
avast does not ask for permition... it's an antivirus.
This seems to be your firewall.

I update rarely on manual downloading directly from the Microsoft site but those warnings make me uneasy. Why Avast warned me? I thought I got rid of the customizations once I uninstalled and uinstalled Avast again without changing any settings.  :'(
For sure, nothing to do with avast settings. The default ones are not related to 'ask for permition'. This will only occur if you change the Blocker settings. Please, come back to the default ones and be happy  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 09:34:30 PM »
As i said, please ask there. Alwil guys don't like if people ask them stuff thats not really supported by them. Well at least i know they don't like.
Just allow everything when using Windows Update. If you don't want to get these warnings anymore, remove OCX extension. But in case of Blocker i'd prefer if only knowledgable users are using it. No offense but most users don't even know what certain extensions mean...

EDIT:
Tech, it's about my Proactive guide. I recommend you set everything to default settings if you don't know what each of these does. I mean it's great for more techy people that know what to do with such stuff but if you don't, then it's easier to just stick with settings provided by Alwil Software.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 09:36:06 PM by RejZoR »
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

emy80

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 09:55:20 PM »
err...since I couldn't remember the default setting I just uninstalled and Installed Avast agin. And didn't touched anything at all after the installation aside from setting the protection to hight in all the Shields.
My setting are like the screeshot right now.

If it's a problem with the firewall why would Avast give me those warnings?

[edit] Now I know those are just for advanced users. that's why i wanted to reverse the changes and go back to the default ones. Sorry.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 09:58:28 PM »
Default is everything unchecked in screenshot you gave above.

emy80

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 10:04:08 PM »
really? I've got another machine with Avast installed and I still have to use it. And I have those boxes checked as well.  ??? I thought those were the default settings. Well...thanks for warning me.

[edit] is it normal that Default extentions setting will always stay checked even if i uncheck it? I can't get rid of it. If i close the window and then open it again it's still there.  ???
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 10:07:45 PM by emy80 »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 10:10:53 PM »
Works fine for me.

emy80

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 10:13:54 PM »
if I uncheck it, close the window nd then Start the main window of Avast (the blu icon on my desktop, not the icon on the tray), the box checks itself. pretty strange.  ???
Will I have problems if that box will stay checked?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 10:40:00 PM »
Can you tell me exactly what you do to reproduce this thing? I can't seem to reproduce it no mater how i start avast!. Checkbox remains unchecked.

emy80

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 10:57:57 PM »
ok.
I clicked on the spinning icon on tray bar --> Standart Shield --> Customize --> Blocker and uncheck the box

Then I click ok and ok again over the window tha shows the Standard Shield (I don't know how to call it)

Then I clicked on the Avast icon I have on the desktop, and after the Memory check I see the main Window of Avast. I just look at it without touching anything.

Then I close it and click again on the icon in the tray to see the Blocker setting again and here there is...the box is checked again.
Can it be because I set the security to hight?  ???

[edit]SasoSt wrote this in the post where you explain those sttings:

Noticed one small problem.
"Default extension set" will check itself if you run Avast! Antivirus. So eveytime you use it (which is not often - im talking about main antivirus, not on-access protection or explorer extension), you have to uncheck it.

I have the same problem, it seems.  ???
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 11:03:45 PM by emy80 »

CharleyO

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 11:27:09 PM »

emy80 & RejZoR,

I have not changed any of these blocker settings and this is the default screenshot below that I have. You will notice 2 items checked.

emy80

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 11:37:25 PM »

emy80 & RejZoR,

I have not changed any of these blocker settings and this is the default screenshot below that I have. You will notice 2 items checked.

hi! That's my setting too. But if you notice the Default Extension set is checked. if I want to uncheck it, at the next launch of Avast! Antivirus it will be checked again.  ??? Well....as long as that's the dafault setting I'm ok. Thanks.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 11:50:17 PM »
Default extensions checkbox dopesn't matter actually as long as those 4 checkboxes below are unchecked...

emy80

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 11:54:04 PM »
Default extensions checkbox dopesn't matter actually as long as those 4 checkboxes below are unchecked...

Thanks for the answer.  :)

CharleyO

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 11:55:15 PM »

Yes, and in Emy's posted picture above, she has the second box checked. Hopefully, she has unchecked it now.    ;)