Author Topic: New Installations: Web shield has been manually disabled on the device by a user  (Read 3385 times)

REDACTED

Good morning,

I have a rather strange problem, started happening with new installations done today. Basically, new installations are getting "Web shield has been manually disabled on the device by a user" but the user (me at this point, as I'm installing the PC) did not disable anything.

I tried this on three different clean installations today, all with the same status.
Tried repairing
Tried uninstalling/reinstalling
Tried Avast Uninstall Cleanup (the tool to remove the software in safe mode)
Problem remains there after each try.

If I install the Free version of Avast Anti-Virus, it works OK and web shield is enabled normally.
I removed it, and re-installed Avast for Business, and back to square one, "user disabled web shield..."

Anyone saw this behavior?

I suspect it's something that Avast will discover, but if it gets fixed "automatically" with an update I am not sure...

S.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:54:20 AM by stefan.borg »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Don't install avast on a client system, deploy it through the console.

REDACTED

I have found the same thing start happening although it is not new installations.  Over this week I went from 2 to 3 to 4 computers, all running Win 10 Pro, none of the Win 7 computers have shown this, yet.

REDACTED

This is happening to me too. After updating, my web shield is disabled and will not come back on. I have tried repairing, uninstalling using avastclear, revo uninstaller and still cannot get it fixed. Since this component is so vital, I have no choice but to switch to something else while this is fixed. There goes more faith in avast. :/

REDACTED

Same Here!
All on Windows 10 (32 & 64Bit) that was earlier working fine.
Manually starting trough component screen or "Fix" in avast main screen didn´t really start it.
Remove & Reinstall also didn´t fixed issue.
Started to occour 07/08.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:30:27 AM by AlessandroK »

Offline Matthew229

Noticed this here too on some Windows 10 x64 and Server 2016 hosts.

This is in the service logs:

The aswStm service failed to start due to the following error:
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

I've tried updating Avast and running a repair.

REDACTED

Contacted Avast and asked about the issue in begining of this morning.
Attendant on chat told me that they are aware of issue and have no estimated time to fix.
I reported and asked them to update this thread but seems that they didn´t yet. :-[