Author Topic: Why or how did I just create this account?  (Read 2090 times)

REDACTED

Why or how did I just create this account?
« on: July 07, 2017, 10:07:27 PM »
Hello forum,

I already have an account on this site and I've had it for quite a while now, and I registered that first, original account with, let's call it "email address 1". Just now I tried to log in here, but I forgot that I used email address 1 for that account, so I accidentally used email address 2 instead, and typed in some random password that I thought might be the correct one. Surprisingly that seemed to be the case, but somehow my name was suddenly different. That's when I realized that was not my original account, I had just logged in to a different account that I didn't remember ever creating. So I looked into this accounts settings, and it said that I had just created it, but I never clicked on "register", I definitely 100% clicked on "log in". I didn't even receive an e-mail saying that I created an account here, it just suddenly somehow came into existence?? What the hell happened here? oO

EDIT:
I just remembered that I had used email address 2 to register Avast when I first installed it - directly in the program, not on a website or forum like this. Could it be that if you have such an Avast account, and you try to log in to the forums here with the same email and password, it automatically creates a forum account with the same data? That would be my only explanation, but I don't know if that's actually what happens.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:18:40 PM by AccidentalAccount »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why or how did I just create this account?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:43:32 AM »
How long ago did you have this account and by 'this site' I take that you mean forum.avast.com ?

The old avast forum had accounts that were part of the complete forum package; you could change the associated email address in your forum profile.  Now you can only change your email address in the my.avast.com.

Now your forum account is linked to your my.avast.com account. You can click login in the forum but the email address and password are validated against id.avast.com.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 01:06:21 AM »
You mean this current account that I'm using right now? Like I said, it was just created today when I tried to log in with an email and password that I never used to register here. And yes, by "this site" I mean this forum.

I don't think I ever registered on the "old" Avast forum, I don't even remember an old one since I only registered here fairly recently (march of this year) with my original account.

Maybe that "linking" you mentioned has something to do with it. I used the same email and password to log in here that I used years ago when I registered Avast, but I really don't know what exactly I registered back then, I only know I did it directly via the antivirus program, I don't remember using a website for that.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 01:26:30 AM »
If you didn't have an old avast forum account before, then no problem. It is now associated to your avast installation, you have to link that to your my.avast.com account (allows you to monitor/manage multiple installations in the one my.avast.com account).

When you try to login in the avast forum, your input is validated against your my.avast.com credentials. The idea being you don't have to have multiple different email and passwords for associated things.

The first time you do it the details would be input via the avastUI > Subscription/Registration - the details in the avastUI screen would probably differ greatly from when you did it before as the avastUI has probably changed a few times since then.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 02:15:08 AM »
When you try to login in the avast forum, your input is validated against your my.avast.com credentials.

If I understand that correctly, that would confirm what I was suspecting. When I tried to log in here with the credentials of the already existing old Avast account, the forum just created a new forum account from that old Avast account, is that right?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »
Well you have me confused now, easily done.

As far as I'm aware (as an avast user) I would have thought the old avast account (at my.avast.com) should have allowed access to the avast forum. However, it rather depends on how old it really was and if you entered the login details as they were on the old my.avast.com account.

So given that you have/had forgotten that original email, you wouldn't have been able to access that accounts access to the forum. If it did create a new my.avast.com account it would also stop duplicate information being used in another account.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 02:34:30 PM »
By simply going to my.avast.com and logging in, you can verify both your Forum and Personal Avast account.
They are the same.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet