Author Topic: Is avast! 4 better than Norton Antivirus?  (Read 9686 times)

avidrper

Is avast! 4 better than Norton Antivirus?
« on: April 15, 2006, 04:02:25 PM »
I just want to know. I'm thinking about installing Avast! 4 (free edition).

justin1278

Re: Is avast! 4 better than Norton Antivirus?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 04:08:45 PM »
Hello,

I switched to avast! from Norton Antivirus/Internet Security my last version of Internet Security was 2005 antispyware edition. I moved completely to avast! Home and liked it so much I went to the Professional version. But your question is a matter of opinion, in my opinion yes avast! is 100% better then Norton. avast! is much easier on System Resources and has more frequent updates and its free. If I were you and I had Norton and was having no problems with it I would keep it until the subscription expires then try avast! before you renew. Maybe save some money.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 04:22:38 PM »
You will find many Ex Norton users, now happy avast! users in these forums.

I personally feel avast is better for many reasons, not a resource hog, doesn't get so embedded into your system as to cause issues when you uninstall it. These forums are littered with threads about conflict even after Norton is removed.

Norton is a big name with a big budget for adverts, etc. but I still think avast is a more configurable and flexible anti-virus that provides protection at least as good if not better than Norton, Oh if you use the home version you aren't paying an annual arm and a leg to Norton ;D If you feel that paid for is better than free, then you can use the avast! Pro version ;D which has even greater flexibility and functionality than the home version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mike6688

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 04:47:11 PM »
I also switched to Avast after using Norton (Internet security suite with antivirus) (and briefly using AVG in between) and now find the computer works much more efficiently as Avast uses fewer resources.  I also find that Avast has the best resident protection (and it is the only one that can scan the internet and abort a connection before any detected malware even downloads.

I'd certainly say Avast is better, and I think the only reason Norton is so popular is because of heavy advertising (like DavidR said)and that it comes on my most computers that are brought so users do not bother looking or comparing other products as they feel no need to or have little knowledge of what the products actually do.

Mike

emy80

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 05:59:14 PM »
I too was a Norton internet Security 2005 user. For me Norton lasted two months of the 12 I purchased.  >:(
First Avast! is much more stable than Norton. Norton was always messing with the shut down process and kept closing itself.
Avast! is a lighter than Norton too. I like it much more. And the free version is good. If you want advanced protection you can purchase it too.
But the free version is good enought for an average user I think.  :)
Not to mention the Support Forum of Avast!... ;D

justin1278

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 06:07:12 PM »
I think one of the reasons peopel won't change to avast! is because of user simplicity. Norton is very easy to use, avast! is to but not as easy. So when people see avast! and install it when they execute the program then they get this interface and don't know how to use it. Maybe if avast! was a little more simple for beginners then more people would use it and upgrade to the Professional version.

emy80

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 06:15:07 PM »
I think one of the reasons peopel won't change to avast! is because of user simplicity. Norton is very easy to use, avast! is to but not as easy. So when people see avast! and install it when they execute the program then they get this interface and don't know how to use it. Maybe if avast! was a little more simple for beginners then more people would use it and upgrade to the Professional version.

The first time I used Avast I was very perplex about the default skin. Then reading the help file and the forum I managed to change skin and Avast looked little less difficoult to understand.
Avast! has lots of skin but maybe as a default a much easier skin would be better. This way a new user can get accostumed to the buttons and function of Avast! before changing the appearence of the software.
And maybe putting some screeshots in the help file would be better for a new user.  :)

hlecter

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2006, 06:57:00 PM »
My answer is also YES to your question.
I just helped a friend with a new laptop preinstalled with Norton to
switch to Avast.  :)

As a sidenote: This forum is perhaps not the best place to get an objective
answer to your Question.  ;)

Happy Easter

mike6688

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 07:07:59 PM »
The first time I used Avast I was very perplex about the default skin

I think one of the reasons peopel won't change to avast! is because of user simplicity. Norton is very easy to use, avast! is to but not as easy..

Yes, I also found Avast fairly complicated at first glance but I soon learned what everything does and the forums have an avast array of useful information  ;D

This forum is perhaps not the best place to get an objective
answer to your Question

That is true - in fact I do not think I have ever come across anyone on the forums who likes Norton  :)

Mike
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 07:09:47 PM by mike6688 »

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 07:47:24 PM »

Welcome to the forums, avidrper.    :)

If you are now reading my post, then you now have an idea that there are many here who are ex-Norton users who would never go back. You also have many reasons why. Those that posted above are fairly recent "converts." It's been at least 4 years since I used Norton and would still never go back. It was a resource hog and bloatware even back then.    >:(

One thing the others have not yet mentioned much is this forum; where you can get help if needed from not only long-time users/experts but also directly from the avast team members who visit this forum daily. Just try getting that kind of help and service from Norton, MaAfee, or the other highly advertised av companies. It cannot be gotten!    :)

Please come back often, learn more, and maybe help others.    ;)

j173

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 07:25:30 AM »
they both have there downfalls avast can slow p2p

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 07:38:47 AM »
they both have there downfalls avast can slow p2p
What do you mean? avast! doesn't slowdown the p2p programs.
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

j173

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 07:50:27 AM »
it does to limewire but norton detects some things avast free cant but avast is good at cleaning the virus off

jan paul

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 11:10:40 AM »
I like avast better then norton, norton was very hard to remove and it slowed down my computer.

I have installed it on many computers of friends that had problems with the computer..

JP

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 11:35:07 AM »
it does to limewire
Well I don't know but I have used Limewire and I didn't had problems with it and with the P2P shield(slowing the connection). Also as far as I know the P2P Shield has nothing to do with the internet connection - I mean that the P2P Shield monitors the program itself(the program installed on the system) and doesn't do anything with the internet connection(scanning the program traffic for example)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 11:54:54 AM by .:X:M:A:S:. »
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...