Author Topic: Simple question hoping for simple answer  (Read 979 times)

REDACTED

Simple question hoping for simple answer
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:04:01 AM »
Hi, I'm not techy - let's get that out there. I downloaded the free Avast version last night and then decided to buy a license for the other whistles and bells - it seemed like a good idea at the time. My mistake.

The email I was sent with all the passcodes and subscription codes doesn't work. I just get "cannot inset license". The message may be in English but I don't know what that's supposed to mean. Then when I look at the free version I have, its got an entirely different code. In short, it appears I have paid for a service but I can only use the free version.

Then when I finally find help (an hour to look for that, on top of two hours searching last night - end of tether) it tells me I have to delete the software with some special other software (which must be downloaded of course) and open Windows in safe mode to do it. WAH? Why can't I just uninstall like a normal bit of software and just reinstall again? Course no response from Avast.

Any sensible, straightforward suggestions? I hate Avast already and I've had it less than 24 hrs.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Simple question hoping for simple answer
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:15:01 AM »
What do you mean with no response from avast ?

There are no passcodes/subscription codes in the mail, just 1 activation code and it will be for the product you purchased.

What is telling you that you have to perform a clean installation of avast ?

avast is a normal "bit of software", just more sophisticated than many others as it is security software.
So yes, some things can only be removed while in safe mode which is perfectly normal.