Author Topic: System freeze  (Read 15755 times)

anton

System freeze
« on: December 20, 2003, 08:05:19 PM »
 :oWhenever I run a full scan on my PC it gets about three Quarters of the way through and freezes my computer.  It has been doing this since I got avast4 and the file that it freezes on is different every time. The last time it froze it had gotten all the way to my system drive before getting stuck.  Is this a virus, trojan, what? I have SpyKiller and it detects nothing on its end. Why can't I scan? ???

Walker

Re:System freeze
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 08:21:21 PM »
Hi Anton,

Welcome to the forum.  :)

Can I ask what you mean by freeze, do you have to re-boot the PC or can you get out of Avast (shut Avast down)?

W.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 08:27:42 PM »
because avast freezes try a online scanner
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

techie101

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 10:49:24 PM »
Anton,

Lets do the easy things first shall we.
Shut down all other spyware, and adblocker software.

You CAN'T have any other resident antivirus on your system with Avast.  If you do, you will need to shut down that resident scanner.  

Rerun Avast full scan.  If it completes, then one of the anti-?? programs is interferring and you can flip them back on one at a time to see which one.

If it does not complete the scan, then let me know if you are familiar with using MSCONFIG utility.

Also let me know:
What OS do you have?
Which Avast (Home or Pro), and version?
Which build of Avast is now installed?

Have you ever had NORTON installed? (very important!)

A solution to your problem should not be too hard to find.

techie

Edited:  Read your last post.  Our posts crossed. Since your entire system freezes, we may have to look into available system resources as well.  This is remote, but we will check it later on anyway.
What is your Ram available?.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 10:54:28 PM by techie101 »

anton

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 10:49:31 PM »
The entire system freezes. I have to restart.

anton

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 10:55:34 PM »
I will try what you suggest. thank you and no I have never had norton. I use w98 and I have avast4.1home, so far just the trial but I'm testing different products. So far yours has the most frequent updates ;D No I do not know what msconfig is.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 11:00:08 PM »
Are you doing the tests with archive scanning enabled or disabled? And the sensitivity set to thorough/normal or quick?

If you have archives enabled, try disabling them if it helps...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

techie101

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 11:57:10 PM »
Anton,

NO problem.  Try the first part of what I suggested, and then I can walk you through the MSconfig.

and yes, you will find that Avast is fast with both database and program updates!

Windows 98 works just fine with Avast.

Vlk,

I doubt if Anton has changed any of the default settings, especially if he is using Home.  It is probably still set to Standard and no archive, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

techie
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 11:58:19 PM by techie101 »

anton

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2003, 01:01:42 AM »
I do have it set to check archives. That does not seem to be the problem. I turned everything else off and it scaned through fine, that is without having to restart my computer; however I am curious as to why it could not find the specifies path to:   c:\windows\options\cabs\win98_58.cab\classes.zip\java\util\stringtokenizer.class     or:  C:windows\java\packages\snh7577x.zip\com\ms\wfc\ax\ivbformat.class    Oh, thanks for the help.

techie101

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2003, 06:13:09 AM »
 I turned everything else off and it scaned through fine, that is without having to restart my computer;
Great!  This sometimes happens when another program that Avast is trying to scan is "active".  As long as Avast completes the scan, you are fine.  You can now flip the programs back on one at a time to isolate which one Avast hangs on.  Although it is not of concern, we can try to fix it.

however I am curious as to why it could not find the specifiec path to:   c:\windows\options\cabs\win98_58.cab\classes.zip\java\util\stringtokenizer.class     or:  C:windows\java\packages\snh7577x.zip\com\ms\wfc\ax\ivbformat.class    Oh, thanks for the help.
Ummmmm.  I cannot remember if Avast will scan inside a zip file, but will check on that and get back to you.

At least we got your through the scan.  Did Avast pick up anything of concern?

techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2003, 03:20:37 PM »
No I do not know what msconfig is.

Msconfig.help could be find here for download.

I can send MSConfig.exe by email to you (it's just 74Kb of a zip file containing both of the files (help and exe). Could you send me an IM with your email address.

MSConfig is a startup controler, you can see more similar applications at section 40. Startup Control Tools of this link page
The best things in life are free.

anton

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2003, 07:46:39 PM »
It found nothing harmfull, thanks now about this msconfig... what exactly will that do? sounds like something to prioritize my software.

techie101

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2003, 11:59:13 PM »
Anton,

The MSconfig utility is incorporated into Windows to allow monitoring and configuration changes in the Windows and Startup files.

It is not something you want to play with until you understand it.  What I was referring to earlier in the post is the Startup file which you can access by runing MsConfig.  When you open the startup file, you will see all processes (applications) which are running when your system boots up.  This is a great tool when troubleshooting the system because you can "uncheck" anything listed and have the system startup without it to see if it is a problem.  Another use, would be to stop all non-essential programs from loading on startup.  This reduces startup time.
There are other uses of the MsConfig, but be careful using it!

techie

anton

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2003, 10:12:48 AM »
I found msconfig, I guess I already had it from an update. I opened it up and yes it is confusing, but I did turn off some of the start up stuff. Thanks again 101 Vlk & Technical. You guys are groovy. Hey and have a great Christmas.

techie101

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2003, 09:35:34 PM »
Anton,

Your welcome.
Any further questions, come on back.

Happy Holiday to you also.

techie