Author Topic: System freeze  (Read 15827 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:System freeze
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2003, 01:32:58 AM »
I found msconfig, I guess I already had it from an update. I opened it up and yes it is confusing, but I did turn off some of the start up stuff. Thanks again 101 Vlk & Technical. You guys are groovy. Hey and have a great Christmas.

If you need help just let techie and I help you  ;D
Merry Christmas too  8)
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2004, 08:58:25 AM »
I'm having an intermittent problem with the Avast scanner freezing up during scans.  This does not occur every time though.  This occurs with archive on as well as with standard and thorough Avast scans.

I checked my HD for errors and there isn't a fragmentation problem because the HD is defragmented weekly.  

After each occurrence of the Avast scanner freezing I needed to do a hard restart of the machine.  The entire OS stops responding.

Also, after each occurrence, upon reboot, I ran online scanner for Housecall.  This online scanner ran with no problem on my machine.  It has gotten to where I run the online internet scanner and if it find something I run an Avast scan just on those selected folders so I can send the infected file to the Avast virus chest so I can email them to Alwil.

Win98, 392mb memory.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 09:03:07 AM by Culpeper »

Culpeper

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2004, 02:07:35 AM »
What is the deal with this problem?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2004, 07:29:26 AM »
Talking about manual scan, right? (no on-access..)
Does it always stop on a specific place? Or is it more or less random?
How long does it take to do a full scan if it does not occur?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Culpeper

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2004, 07:47:35 AM »
Yes, manual scans and they seem to be random.  Tends to occur when doing a complete scan of the entire hard drive.  It doesn't stop on a particular folder or file.  If it does occur the scan really slows down to a crawl and eventually stops responding.  I can't figure out if there is another program running that can be causing this to conflict but I don't seem to have the problem with the various online scanners like TrendMicro or BitDefender (archive files selected).  I've been experimenting a little trying to narrow down a cause but because the large manual scans take a while to complete it and because the problem is intermittent, it is hard to pinpoint to anything in particular.  I'm currently under the assumption that it is my machine and not a bug but wanted to report it anyway.  I have seen at least one other thread with the same problem description.  Programs running the background are Adsgone, Sygate firewall, SpamPal, Remind-Me calendar, Fast Defrag (problem was occurring before installing Fast Defrag), VCool, Systray, and Taskmonitor.  

When the manual scan does stall out and stops responding Adsgone, Remind Me, and Fast Defrag also stop responding.  The OS stops responding and if I'm lucky I can restart the computer successfully, otherwise I need to do a hard restart.  I have my Win98 Fast Shutdown turned off.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2004, 09:03:46 PM »
I bet on Fast Defrag anyway  :-\ Can you stop it for some days?

What is VCool?  ;)

Culpeper

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2004, 01:26:39 AM »
VCool 1.7

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This little utility will cool your Athlon/Duron processor on Via KT133 or KX133(A) (VT8363, VT8361, VT82C691/693A/694 or VT8371 +VT82C686x) chipsets during idle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features
Controls the "Northbridge Bus Disconnect Bit" to lower your CPUs power level during idle
An idle loop that puts your CPU into STPGNT state if your OS won't
Displays the current CPU temperature in your system tray (optional)
Optional Hardware Throttling of the CPU when it gets too hot (50%, 10%, shutdown)
Lightweight: 32K

Fast defrag can be shutdown as needed.  I still haven't any problems with it.

Culpeper

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2004, 06:18:52 AM »
You know I think it is working okay now with the Pirate Skin.   :D

I recommend the Pirate Skin, Matey!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 06:19:36 AM by Culpeper »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2004, 02:01:01 PM »
You know I think it is working okay now with the Pirate Skin.   :D

I recommend the Pirate Skin, Matey!

Cul, do you really thing that the problem was just a skin trouble?
I mean, changing tye skin and the problem was solved?  ::)

Culpeper

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2004, 03:32:31 PM »
No, I think I had too much junk on my machine.  Everything from too many shortcuts on the desktop to too many temp files on the HD.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2004, 04:48:24 PM »
No, I think I had too much junk on my machine.  Everything from too many shortcuts on the desktop to too many temp files on the HD.

For me, undoubtly, the best cleaner application is: BeClean. Cleans temp files, lost links, registry, etc. etc.  8)

Culpeper

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2004, 09:21:24 PM »
Thanks, I'll check that out!