Author Topic: Avast website hangups-Customize WebShield  (Read 2163 times)

Offline stephanie210

Avast website hangups-Customize WebShield
« on: July 19, 2017, 06:08:48 PM »
Microsoft Vista, Intel Core 2Quad CPU, 6GB, 64Bit

For the past few weeks I was having major trouble loading websites. I ran my malewarebyte, Avast reboot scan, ipconfig's flushdns,release, renews, system scans sfc scan now, Firefox reset refresh, deleted history caches, temp folders, DL'd firmware for my Linksys router, system restore. So over a 3 week period inbetween work and life i think i finally got to the problem and probably couple other things I forgot to write down. My last 3 runs today were CCLeaner, Disk Cleanup, and Defrag. Still to no avail, websites still hanging in the blue load circle. Finally I tried :
Opened my AVAST app went to settings, components. Customize web shield,unchecked enable https scanning. Restarted desktop. And that seemed to resolve the issue so far I have been able to connect to all and any websites ( These are trusted websites)with no issues all day.

Just an FYI

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast website hangups-Customize WebShield
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 06:34:52 PM »
There are many instances of this issue in the forums, particularly by XP and Vista users, but not all of them.

I have experienced it twice on my XP Pro SP3 system.

The current work around is to disable the https scanning in the Web Shield settings.

Personally I don't like this as a long term solution carries a risk factor on your system.

As I said I have experienced this only twice, I unchecked the https scanning in the Web Shield settings and Oked my way out, refreshed the browser page and then enabled the https scanning in the Web Shield settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline stephanie210

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:35:10 PM »
Unfortunately I am not a PC guru :o therefore I am left to the elements of process by elimination and knowing I could, with some common sense, save my self some money from having to go to a PC Tech store. My initial search was just “ My PC hangs when trying to connect to the internet” which brought up a plethra of reasons that could have caused it. Not all contain check your anti virus. At first I thought it was maleware. But with a little time I got good end results and feel very good about getting more knowledge about my pc's inner workings without crashing it lol

So the said info above is for those who might be technically muffled and  timid and like me and need a play by play.

Thanks and have a great day, :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 08:13:33 PM »
Just try what I said, the settings are within the program and don't have to be a PC Guru.

AvastUI > Settings > Components > Web Shield > Customise > Main Settings - uncheck the 'Enable HTTPS scanning.'
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline stephanie210

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:17:20 PM »
I'm sorry you must have misunderstood my post. That is exactly what I did as I stated in my initial post at the very end. I am making other readers aware of everything I had to do to get to that point.