Author Topic: Where my passwords are?  (Read 4919 times)

REDACTED

Where my passwords are?
« on: July 20, 2017, 02:55:03 AM »
I'd like to know where Avast Password puts my passwords in? Are they in a cloud service or are they in a fisical file in my computer? In this case, can I set a directory to sinc this file with another computer, like Dropbox or iCloud, as 1Password does?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Where my passwords are?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 07:33:16 AM »
I suggest you read the FAQ first.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 12:50:00 AM »
I suggest you read the FAQ first.

I've tried this, otherwise I'd not asking. Obviously I didn't get my question answered in FAQs.

Better, can you help me instead?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »
I'm also interested in the answer. The information and FAQs do not answer this question. I would like to understand where and how the information is stored, what specific encryption does Avast use and why is it more secure than the encryption used by my browser.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 01:33:49 PM »
I would like to understand where and how the information is stored, what specific encryption does Avast use and why is it more secure than the encryption used by my browser.
Read here: https://files.avast.com/files/passwords/security-whitepaper.pdf
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 02:48:25 PM »
Do you really think avast will reveal the encryption ?
Come on, if they did the encryption would be useless as also the bad guys will know it.

Why it is much better than the way browsers are storing passwords... ?
There are many tools that can show you the passwords stored in browsers but I've never seen on that shows the passwords store by avast.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:51:10 PM by Eddy »

Offline Martin Kvetko

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 09:36:31 AM »
The encryption is definitely not a secret. We use a combination of cryptography standards as briefly described in security white paper. We believe that current white paper describes our cryptography in the way most people can understand.
If you as our users feel that we should provide more detailed description of how your data are protected, please let us know we will consider rewriting of security white paper or publishing advanced one ;-)