Author Topic: Help-problem after latest update  (Read 5613 times)

LJL

Help-problem after latest update
« on: December 21, 2003, 12:14:56 AM »
Good evening

I have a Compaq computer using a 98 2nd edition, AMD-K6 3d processor (475), 256 mb of ram.  I have a cable modem.    

Tonight I did the latest update on my computer (18-12-03)

After the update I was prompted to restart my computer.  After I restarted it I got the following error messages.

Error Starting Program

The ASWENGIN.DLL file is linked to missing export ASWMNOS.DLL:dep_fsRemoveFolder.

After I click ok I get another warning.

C:\ProgramFiles|Alwil Software\Avasr4\ashAvast.exe

A device atached to the system is not functioning.

I'm not able to open my virus program via all options available without getting this warning.

My email account seems to be effected too.  

How would I fix this.  I've had no prior problems with Avast and have been using it for close to 5 months now.  

« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 12:15:45 AM by LJL »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:Help-problem after latest update
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2003, 01:11:35 AM »
you say this happend after 4.1.319 update? or an iAVS update?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 01:12:04 AM by MacLover2000 »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Culpeper

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2003, 01:34:28 AM »
Try a manual update and see what you get and let us know.

techie101

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2003, 06:30:52 AM »
LJ,

I concur with Culpeper.  Apparently, during the download, a dll file did not transfer correctly, or was corrupted.  Therefore, the dependent function ashavast.exe cannot execute.

A manual download usually corrects this.  Make sure that all othe windows based applications are shut down during the download (which also installs the new files).

Should this not correct the problem, post and one of the members will get back to you.

techie

diane1jp

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2003, 10:22:50 AM »
I am having the same problem after updating the virus database. I rebooted with a message with "error starting program. ASWENGIN.DILL linked to missing export ASWCMNOS.DLL:dep_fsRemoveFolder." It automatically updated itself on Dec 19, 03. I am running Windows 98SE, 48ram, 150mhz, dial-up with 28k modem. And I also need help in solving this problem. :(

diane1jp

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2003, 10:43:10 AM »
Please follow kubecj's advice given in this thread: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1840 .

BTW diane1jp, you seem to be specifically vulnerable to these updatter issues. I wonder what's so special about your computer.. ??? Don't you use e.g. a security software (a firewall maybe) that could be preventing the updater from overwriting avast's files?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

diane1jp

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 02:31:05 AM »
I am sorry, that I forget to mention I am using Zone Alarm.

diane1jp

Culpeper

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2003, 02:48:27 AM »
Diane did you get your problem resolved?

diane1jp

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2003, 06:57:07 AM »
Yes. I solved the problem, I had another problem with the avast program about a month ago.  I thought I would give it another shot at it, by going to the Control Panel to add/remove programs clicking on Avast Antivirus then go to repair, I had to be online to do this repair, when done,  I rebooted and everything is working like it should be. I did allow Avast Antivirus through my ZoneAlarm.

Thank you
diane1jp  

LJL

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2003, 02:04:09 PM »
Thank you for the advice.

I uninstalled it and reinstalled it early this morning and it is working properly now and my email issues were resolved at the same time.

Once again Thanks

P.S.  The problem was after I did the 4.1.319 update

Culpeper

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2003, 03:20:01 PM »
I appreciate you guys updating us on the problem.  Glad to hear everything is up and running.