Author Topic: AVAST Free AntiVirus did more than assess a free network router.  (Read 1951 times)

REDACTED

Hello, my name is Yong. There is an issue with Free Antivirus or in this case i think you can call it EXTRA strength. But i don't think i should post the detail publicly. Is there anyone/official from Avast that I can contact? I think it is very important. I haven't contact the hardware manufacturer yet.

Anyone??

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: AVAST Free AntiVirus did more than assess a free network router.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 10:38:54 AM »
More details might help...

- Which version of Avast Free..?
- OS..? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP/Build..?)
- Other security related software installed..?
- A screenshot could help as well...
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 11:17:44 AM »
My office use a 4G Wireless Broadband with limited data (please don't ask why). So i resort to use a free wifi provided by a closeby restaurant and sometimes a hotel next door. The password for the restaurant wifi was widely available.

Just cleaned my computer with avast because of some trojan, thank you AVAST.

When i did a SMART SCAN. It detect a the router as "WEAK WIRELESS PASSWORD" and 2 "DEVICE IS VULNERABLE TO ATTACKS". 1 show the weak wifi password and the second one show THE ROUTER login PASSWORD. The user name is pretty simple, admin, and i use the weak password provided by AVAST SMART SCAN. It did work, i can login to a router SETUP which i never access before.

The hotel free wifi was showing GREEN result, since it got a BETTER password for it's router, i think.

Is this a real threat? Or has it happen before? Should i contact the router manufacturer?

Advice please.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 11:29:14 AM »
Is this a real threat?
No it is a vulnerability

Should i contact the router manufacturer?
It is the network owner's responsibility to secure there router / network .... latest router firmware, strong password, change default admin login .......

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:30:52 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 04:39:48 PM »
You right Pondus. It's the responsibility of the network owner to make it's network more secure.

Still i'm impress with the Avast network test, look like someone at Avast sure know how to crack a router security. But still worry if anyone can reverse engineer the Avast algorithm for network test. Then again it's just a restaurant with free wifi not some company with many confidential information.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »
You might consider SecureLine: https://www.avast.com/secureline-vpn#pc
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 05:52:35 PM »
Still i'm impress with the Avast network test, look like someone at Avast sure know how to crack a router security.
They did not crack anything. To connect you have to enter all info in your Windows OS and then avast can also see it