Author Topic: High Svchost cpu use and no internet access : (  (Read 11506 times)

Thug21

High Svchost cpu use and no internet access : (
« on: April 18, 2006, 08:52:36 PM »
Hello:  :)

I noticed my fathers computer with p4 1.7ghz, 521 ram, winXP home SP1( yes I know he needs to get sp2, lol) , Avg Pro, Mcafee firewall, ad-adware, spybot
takes more then 10 min to fully boot up once you get to the desktop with a number of SVchost.exe's taking 99 percent CPU usage. It would go down to normal after the 10 min or so.

I also found the computer had Prutlct.exe in the task manager so I uploaded it to jott.org and a number of AV's including Avast! found it as a malware/trojan, AVG didn't find anything and neither did Nod32,  lol. I looked the prutlct.exe up and it is evidently of the e2give type of malware etc.

I  uninstalled AVG and Installed Avast!  and it was able to find and delete the the prutect.exe while doing a scan in safe mode :)

The current problems I need some help on are:

My internet connection in all but safe mode with networking is dead. Avast can't update and it says it can't scan email (I did update avast in safe mode earlier though)  My internet worked fine untill I installed and ran Avast!

The mcafee firewall has ashserv.exe = Full Acesss and Ashwebsv.exe = Full access
Is there anything else I need to add to get the internet to work again ?

I looked the the webshield and  noticed that it  says "the provider is waiting for a subsystem to start"  ???

I noticed in my virus chest under "system"

"kernal32.dll---No virus"
"Winsock.dll"
"Winsock.dll"
"Wsock.dll--No virus"

What are these doing here and what should I do about them ? Also could this be causing the lack of internet connection?

Also the Svchost.exe --Local system  in the task manager is using 88+ percent CPU  that just won't go away. Before I installed Avast! it would go down after about 10 min. The system idle process is also using alot at times. What could this be from and how can I possibly fix it ? 

I would be very grateful for any help on these problems.  ;)

Thank you for reading  ;D

« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 09:58:23 PM by Thug21 »

Spiritsongs

Re: High Svchost cpu use and no internet access : (
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 08:02:27 PM »
 :)  Hi Thug21 :

Since your father's computer has the same XP SP1 as I,
     I would suggest you try downloading & eventually using
    "Winsockfix" & "LSPFIX" from www.spychecker.com .
      There is a "LSPFIX" tutorial if you are interested !?

Thug21

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 09:21:40 PM »
Hello and thanks for the reply.

I think I already tried something like that (might have even been that one)  but it didn't  find anything wrong so I uninstalled Avast from safe mode and now the computer is back to normal. I put AVG back for now lol.

I read somewhere that perhaps the Avast network shield was conflicting with something else (mcafee firewall?) and causing the internet loss and high cpu use etc. Either that or my fathers computer still has some traces of Norton on it which caused trouble.

Anyway, I will maybe try Avast again in the future without the network shield and see if it works out. I am really happy that Avast was able to find and remove that trojan as it  had been on there for years and AVG didn't notice it.

Thank's again and see you around.  ;D

« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 09:29:36 PM by Thug21 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 12:27:33 AM »
Quote from: Thug21
I read somewhere that perhaps the Avast network shield was conflicting with something else (mcafee firewall?) and causing the internet loss and high cpu use etc. Either that or my fathers computer still has some traces of Norton on it which caused trouble.

No conflict with any firewall that I'm aware of as it isn't a full firewall just looking out for some common exploits like sasser, blaster, etc. and if your firewall starts early in the process that is likely to block those exploits so Network Shield will not get a look in.

I simply can't understand why you would want to go back to AVG, you will never get this level of support/help with AVG free. I abandoned AVG two years ago and haven't looked back avast is much more configurable and flexible. avast's boot-time scan and its extra ability to deal with viruses that in certain cases AVG can't touch is something I won't give up and go back.

But it's your system and your choice ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Thug21

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 02:37:51 AM »
Hi:

The reason I went back to AVG is very simple: My computer was useless in all but safe mode with Avast! installed, for whatever reason. Also, as I said, I have AVG pro. I'd rather take a slight chance with AVG then have a computer out of service lol.

If I can get Avast to work on that computer without the above problems I would keep it on there as it does seem to detect more ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:42:29 AM by Thug21 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 03:20:52 AM »
If I can get Avast to work on that computer without the above problems I would keep it on there
So, let's solve your trouble  8)
avast! works perfectly in Windows XP systems  :)
Oh, are you sure you don't want to get SP2?
The best things in life are free.

Thug21

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 03:28:03 AM »
Hi: Nice avatar btw, reminds me of something called a "techdeck"  ;)

Anyway, I would like to see if I can find some answers to what caused that odd Avast problem as I know its a good AV. And yes, I think SP2 will be put on sometime here.

Have you ever heard of a problem like I described with Avast ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 03:45:33 AM »
Avast can't update
avast.setup needs rights (in McAfee firewall to connect).

it can't scan email
ashmaisv.exe needs rights (in McAfee firewall to connect).

I looked the the webshield and noticed that it says "the provider is waiting for a subsystem to start"  ???
Strange... if you open a browser window, does the message disappear?

"kernal32.dll---No virus"
"Wsock.dll--No virus"
What are these doing here and what should I do about them ? Also could this be causing the lack of internet connection?
Backup purposes.
No relation with Internet connection.

Also the Svchost.exe --Local system  in the task manager is using 88+ percent CPU  that just won't go away. Before I installed Avast! it would go down after about 10 min. The system idle process is also using alot at times. What could this be from and how can I possibly fix it ? 
I would be very grateful for any help on these problems.  ;)
I bet that the firewall is blocking something it does not have to...
The best things in life are free.

Thug21

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 05:26:29 AM »
Hi: Thanks for the info!

Also the webshield message was in Avast itself, you know, the screen where you can turn the webshield and on or off etc.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 04:19:43 PM »
Quote from: Thug21
The reason I went back to AVG is very simple: My computer was useless in all but safe mode with Avast! installed, for whatever reason.

The more information you can give us on these reasons the easier it will be for us to help.

Operating from safe mode disables some of the avast processes, not exactly certain which, but I believe it gets less involved at boot and the ashDisp.exe start-up entry might not be run. So that may well be why you have less of an issue in safe mode.

When you were experiencing these problems, did you still have AVG installed (even if disabled) ?
if so this could result in conflict that could appear as slow or unworkable.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Thug21

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 05:00:32 PM »

I  uninstalled AVG and Installed Avast! 

;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 05:07:17 PM by Thug21 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 05:29:52 PM »
I did too, but I found a lot of Legacy keys remaining in the registry, which I also removed.

Thug21

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 05:53:23 PM »
Where were these located so I can double check that I got them all if I reinstall Avast in the future.

Also, his computer might have had alot of other AV's on it over the years. I was thinking maybe they left something behind.

Thanks

Spiritsongs

Registry Cleaner
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 06:24:01 PM »
 :)  Hi :

Perhaps the use of a SAFE registry cleaner may be
     advisable !?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 07:23:28 PM »
I just did a manual search for anything pointing to either AVG or the old avg program files folder. I also had to change the permissions in the legacy keys to enable me to delete the data entry.

However, as Spiritsongs suggests a registry cleaner looking for invalid keys would be quicker, but great care needs to be taken when editing the registry, so SAFE is the word. Basically one of the many registry cleaners that categorises the results, safe, reasonable safe, unknown, etc. and only work with the safe entries or those you are absolutely sure aren't required.