Author Topic: Internet Explorer: Is so Bad?  (Read 5508 times)

Alkim

Internet Explorer: Is so Bad?
« on: April 18, 2006, 09:49:08 PM »
I use Internet Explorer with all the patch, and I haven't catch virus, spyware, monster, and yeti :P But this browser is so bad or firefox is a little overvalued? I have tried it... but I prefer Internet Explorer.... is more light on resources.... (I hope that IE7 has tab browsing!)
Now I'm try Opera Browser, and I see that is a very very good program.....
Conclusion: What browser this forum suggest to use?

Thanks,

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Internet Explorer: Is so Bad?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 10:02:25 PM »
IE has security holes and fixes are very slow  :-\, Firefox is not perfect too, but security fixes are much faster. Also FF supports very handy plugins, and has tabbed browsing. What to use: is up to you. You should try and consider by yourself.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 10:05:28 PM by =YLAP= »

Alkim

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 10:05:25 PM »
No, IE7 will be available for XP and for Vista.... I don't like firefox because is too heavy and memory leak :(
Opera is incredible.... I initially to love this norvegian browser.....

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 10:07:12 PM »
Opera is really good choise. I've used it in the past. If you like Opera - use it. Is really good browser too  ;D As I said - all is up to you.  ;)

Alkim

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 10:11:55 PM »
I want to admit that I prefer to use an application that "don't complicate my life" :-)   For that I prefer IE, is preinstalled, is simple, and for now I don t have any problem.... but now, all the people suggest to me that is time of change, Microsoft product are not so good as in the past(is true?) and is time to change at least the browser and in future other software.... For now I have tried with success Opera browser. SOme people has suggest to switch to firefox because is open source and this is a better philosopy. I'm confused....

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 10:13:51 PM »
Hi folks,

Javascript always has been the root of the problems with the Firefox. There simple was not enough mem available, even those machines with 1 gigabyte of mem were confronted with a 4 MB limit. It caused a lot of crashes in FF. Now apparently this problem has been solved with the 1.5.0.2 release. For the solution they looked at the way IE worked this, and came up with a similar solution. If there isn't a limit being set for the Javascript Garbage Collection, the browser will set the amount of mem to what is needed. Instability and crashes should be less of a problem now. If it means the end of all the Javascript problems in FF needs to be seen, it should be a lot better now.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Alkim

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 10:17:18 PM »
Some suggestion into the choice?

stevejrc

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 11:30:24 PM »
If you want tabbed browsing for IE 6, then install MSN toolbar which adds tabs to IE 6. Also has
an anti-phising plugin. I use Google toolbar, so turned off all of MSNs other features.

axsweb

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 02:04:29 AM »
there is a beta 2 for ie7 if u want it u download it from here
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/5/6/6566e112-40cf-4890-aa5a-57da51daefec/IE7B2P-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe

there might be faults with it but u can still use it

mauserme

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 02:08:44 AM »
Hi Alkim,

My current choice is Avant Browser.  Its an Internet Explorer shell so its probably not as secure as Opera or Firefox, but it does have better pop up and adware blocking than Explorer.  It gives you tabbed browsing and, in my experience at work, almost 100% compatability with sites requiring Explorer.  Also, there are some nice skins you can download (mine is configured to look nice and clean, like IE7).

But as YLAP said, its up to you ...

CharleyO

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 05:58:06 AM »

Yes, IE7 Beta2 has tabs and is better overall than IE6. But, there are some minor glitches in IE7 Beta2. Currently, I am using Opera 8.54 and Opera 9 Beta. So far, opera 9 Beta is my choice. I will also test the final of IE7.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 10:59:36 PM »
No problems with IE7 been using it since beta 1 and is now my browser of choice.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 03:01:31 AM »
Wrong post. Sorry.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 01:50:32 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 12:51:52 PM »
I'll put this disclaimer up before I make any comments...

I've been around computers since DOS. At one time, being a dedicated Netscape user, I have over the years developed a deep seeded resentment of all things Microsoft. Sorry.

So, understanding that my comments are a bit tainted, now to the question posed in the title to this thread...

Though IE 7 looks interesting, as a typical MS product, it's a direct conduit to the heart of the operating system, and people will lick their chops figuring out ways to exploit it.

In the long run, Vista will probably end up being a bigger mess than XP is now. As they say, "Where there's a will, there's an angle."

I have tried Opera, and I like it a lot. But, I use Firefox primarily because it's open source. (IE on my machine is a dedicated slave to MS update.) In my opinion, either Opera or Firefox, would certainly be better alternatives to IE.

Your choice as to which one to use.