Author Topic: "Open File For Writing"  (Read 5681 times)

emilyshmemily22

"Open File For Writing"
« on: December 21, 2003, 05:40:06 AM »
 :-\ Ok, so far so good with the avast! program (version, i guess).
I just have one question. When i get the pop-up titled "avast! blocker event" and then asks me if it's ok to "open file for writing," then names the file....What does this mean?
Should I allow or deny? I guess it's just the way it's phrased that's got me boggled.
Well, I'll appreciate any comments.
Thanks!
Em :-*

techie101

Re:"Open File For Writing"
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2003, 06:17:52 AM »
emily,

In order for me to advise you, I need to know what the file is that Avast blocked, and what type of blocking occured (Script or Resident scanner).

Also, are you using the Home or Pro version?

In general, do not allow any file to open or process unless you know what it is and what it will do to your system.

thanks,
techie

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2003, 10:56:01 AM »
Oops, seems that the Behavior Blocking feature of the Standard Shield somehow got activated on your machine (automatically? ???)

Anyway, to turn it off, double click the avast tray icon, click 'Details >>', double click the Standard Shield icon in the left hand side list, go to the Blocking tab and uncheck all the boxes you see (they should be unchecked by default).

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2003, 05:58:21 PM »
Oops, seems that the Behavior Blocking feature of the Standard Shield somehow got activated on your machine (automatically? ???)

Anyway, to turn it off, double click the avast tray icon, click 'Details >>', double click the Standard Shield icon in the left hand side list, go to the Blocking tab and uncheck all the boxes you see (they should be unchecked by default).

Vlk

Vlk is fully correct. No trouble disabling the blocker events... Anyway, they are unchecked by default  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2003, 07:53:05 PM »

Vlk

Vlk is fully correct. No trouble disabling the blocker events... Anyway, they are unchecked by default  ;D

Hmmm ... I'm using Home (319), and on mine the "Default extension set" is ticked, which I don't remember doing myself.  Should that be un-ticked too?
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2003, 10:14:21 PM »
I meant the 'Blocked Operations' thing
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2003, 10:56:29 PM »
I meant the 'Blocked Operations' thing

Hi Vlk,

We might or might not be talking about the same thing.  When I said the Default extension set was ticked on mine, I was referring to the "Blocker" tab under Standard Shield/Customize, and I thought that's where you and Techical were referring to.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

emilyshmemily22

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 05:50:40 PM »
Yay!! Thank you so much, Vlk (and others who helped me with this matter.) I think my boyfriend was trying to make the computer "extra extra safe" and checked a lot of boxes.  

Everything is good now!