Author Topic: Update Error  (Read 6792 times)

Sasuke

Update Error
« on: April 16, 2006, 01:52:43 PM »
i can't update vpsupd.exe...there is an error report
"Can't install VPS updates.Please, report following errorcodes :
 SI: 0x00000005
 ST: 0xC0000005
 LE: 0x00000000."

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Update Error
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 03:24:13 PM »
Can you tell us a little more about your system.

What Operating System are you using? is it up to date?
What avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number, e.g. 0436-4 (see about avast!)
How long have you had avast installed  ?
Do (or did) you have another AV installed, if so what (and how did you get rid of it) ?

Have you tried a forums search for SI: 0x00000005, etc. this returns many hits, do any of them match your circumstances ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 08:36:21 PM »
0x00000005
Access denied.
Which is your operational system? Are you the administrator or just a common user on this computer?
Besides this, are you downloading the full vpsupd.exe file or just trying to update avast by the interface?
The best things in life are free.

Sasuke

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 06:27:58 AM »
I use Windows XP SP2,and is up-to-date
- the VPS version is 0536-5
- Avast was installed two days ago
- Another AV is McAfee,i uninstalled it.

I downloaded the whole vpsupd.exe thing and i'm the administrator

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 03:19:47 PM »
- the VPS version is 0536-5
Wow... this is very very old. We're at 0615-3 now  8)

- Avast was installed two days ago
But isn't this computer connected to the internet? Why didn't you update your installation?
avast is on 4.6 version and beta is 4.7.814.

- Another AV is McAfee,i uninstalled it.
McAfee is notoriuos on lefting a lot of Registry key behind... Maybe some of them are avoiding you to update avast. Maybe not.
Isn't there McAfee support for uninstallation?

Sasuke

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 03:52:24 PM »
i used "add/remove programs" to uninstall McAfee. So how to delete those registry keys anyway?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 03:58:40 PM »
i used "add/remove programs" to uninstall McAfee. So how to delete those registry keys anyway?
A good registry cleaner... or manual searching and deleting. But this is a job for a technical or you're mess your computer.
Better if you can udpate your avast installation without doing that.

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 06:49:32 PM »

Since you removed McAfee with the normal Add/Remove, it will leave registry entries behind that will foul any other av installation. As tech suggested, use a good registry cleaner to remove these left-over McAfee registry entries.

Anytime you are in the registry, you must be very careful of changes/deletions made because these can seriously effect your computer. If you are not comfortable with messing around in the registry, then do as Tech suggested and let a technician do this for you.

You can find many free versions of these registry cleaners here:

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwregtools.html

Though my favorite, TweakNow RegCleaner Standard, is not listed there, I like this one because it rates the entries as Safe to Remove, Not fully safe to delete, & Unknown ... as well as having a Restore backup just in case something goes wrong. You can find it here ......

http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html

I hope this helps you.    :)

iano39

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 12:59:19 AM »
Some McAfee software leaves unwanted LSP residue which can interfere afterwards but can be sorted with "lspfix" from cexx.org.  Care required, backup or at least restore point.  Might be more firewall than AV issue, but still could be relevant here.

buttoni

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 05:06:01 AM »
I also had to remove McAfee Virus Scan some months ago.  I did so via Add/Remove and then the manual removal of leftovers in the registry with their on-line instructions.  Tedious, but no problems since.  But lucky you!  They now have a VSCleanupTool you download to do this.  Hope they have seen the light & are creating these tools for all their products! 

Just go to http://www.us.mcafee.com, click the Tech Support tab, provide your version number in Step 1 box, select install/uninstall in Step 2 category box and it will bring up clear instructions & link to the tool.  Hope it works well and Good luck with it.  You can go to their user forum at http://www.forums.mcafeehelp.com if you should have problems or questions.

elbowroom

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 02:06:35 AM »
Have you checked your Internet connections? I also had some problems updating Avast and I just tried changing settings in my Internet connection. You can try going to Control Panel/Internet Connections/ click Connections Tab and click settings under Diial-Up and Virtual Private Network settings. Choose and click Automatically connect, Click Apply, OK.

I also would recommend you using Tweak Reg Cleaner or RegScrubXP. I am still using both of it and they're very efficient and safe in cleaning your registry. It's got a Restore  application too.

Hope this helps!