Author Topic: Avast causing issues with Excel  (Read 6028 times)

Offline Jordan1997

Avast causing issues with Excel
« on: July 24, 2017, 02:40:19 AM »
I was working on an excel sheet when an avast pop-up interrupted me. I don't remember it word for word, but it was along the lines of "Excel is trying to delete something. Deny or Allow". I wasn't sure what it meant so I clicked "Deny".  Now all my excel documents are in Read-Only and I am unable to turn it off. Also, whenever I try to save a new document I get the dialog box "The document was saved successfully, but excel cannot reopen it because of a sharing violation". When I disable avast I no longer have these issues. I looked through my settings on avast, but I'm having difficulty resolving the issue. I'm currently running the latest version of avast on windows 10. Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline info1580

Re: Avast causing issues with Excel
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:38:06 PM »
I have the same problem is there a solution yet???

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:58:26 PM »
"Excel is trying to delete something. Deny or Allow". I wasn't sure what it meant so I clicked "Deny". 
I have not yet had this message (and can not reproduce it by "playing" with excel) that seems related to the Ransomware Shield (blocked apps) , as in the other post indicated by Pondus , but the message lacks some intuitiveness and easily sends us on a bad track , no ?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:06:01 PM by chris05 »

Offline Jordan1997

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 03:36:59 AM »
Followed the link provided by Pondus and chris05. Worked like a charm. Thanks so much!

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 12:02:04 PM »
"Excel is trying to delete something. Deny or Allow"
To prevent the message from appearing again from Excel or other safe apps, ensure that the Ransomware Shield is in smart mode rather than in strict mode (show details inside shield settings)
strict mode = Authorization is requested for all apps (Excel included)
smart mode = Authorization is requested only for no safe apps (Logically Excel is safe , so no warning)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:14:07 PM by chris05 »