Author Topic: Standard Shield Blocker - Allow or Deny operation  (Read 3741 times)

concerned807

Standard Shield Blocker - Allow or Deny operation
« on: April 19, 2006, 09:06:17 PM »
After upgraded to Avast Pro 4.7, I rechecked if previous settings are preserved. All settings are so as they should be.  :)

Here is a quick question however. Under Avast On-Access Scanner -> Standard Shield -> Resident task settings -> Blocker.

I've selected "Deny the operation". I am concerned if this selection may result in possible system crash as my XP system tries to perform critical operation. On the other hand, "Allow the operation" may let malicious operation get away with it. ::) Anyone could kindly advise?

Details:
If an operation should be blocked but Avast cannot ask what to do (e.g. because the screen-saver is running), it should

- Allow the operation
- Deny the operation (currently this is selected)

--
Windows XP Pro SP2
Avast! Pro Edition Version 4.7.817

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Standard Shield Blocker - Allow or Deny operation
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 09:36:15 PM »
I don't recommend turning on the blocker for most file extensions (especially common executable extensions)...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

concerned807

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 09:49:38 PM »
Can you confirm this (settings attached as screenshot) is what you are suggesting?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 12:17:23 AM »
That is the default setting and I thing that is what Vlk means, not wanting to put words into his mouth ;D

Since you haven't got any actions blocked (the default option), it doesn't really matter if this is allow or deny.

However, if I were to have any options like say formatting blocked, I would have it set to deny, as I wouldn't want that to happen if I weren't present.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

concerned807

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 01:43:25 AM »
Since you haven't got any actions blocked (the default option), it doesn't really matter if this is allow or deny.

Thanks for the clarification, David. I didn't entirely understand what Vlk suggested - why I followed up with that screenshot. Guess Vlk suggested for this part of settings the default would do the job right.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 02:44:56 AM »
I don't recommend turning on the blocker for most file extensions (especially common executable extensions)...
RejZor: I think I've found what was crashing Windows Explorer and Dr.Watson.
A dll that has nothing to do with avast! blocker. I'm testing your settings again.
The best things in life are free.