Author Topic: Unable to scan  (Read 10534 times)

Den

Unable to scan
« on: December 21, 2003, 06:07:29 PM »
Can someone advise why Avast is unable to scan some 376 files ? Do I need to adjust a setting, or is this normal ?
Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Unable to scan
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2003, 06:31:54 PM »
Can someone advise why Avast is unable to scan some 376 files ? Do I need to adjust a setting, or is this normal ?
Thanks

Den, could you post the report file with stays into <avast folder>\Reports.
This seem to be related with password protected files, the sensibility of the scanning and the report settings. Could you say a little more about that files and your avast! settings?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Den

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2003, 10:37:36 PM »
I'm sorry but I don't understand how to provide you with the information that you requested. The summary page of the report (after the scan) specified 374 files unable to scan, however there was no command under the action tab that allowed for saving the file so that I could send it.
There was a reference made about password protection, but I have never password protected a file.

Walker

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2003, 11:04:48 PM »
Den,

Have a search through the Avast help files. There is an option to turn on various report logs somewhere. Let us now if you can't find it and I'll look around for specifics  ;)

You may not have set up passwords, Windows actually protects certain files which is reported in this way.

Let us know about the log.

W.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 12:28:39 PM »
Den, in simple words:

1) Run a scanning and wait for it end. A window with the results will pop up. You can close it.
2) Immediatly after this will be a link on the 'skin' (Simple User Interface) to the last scanning results. Click it.
3) A Notepad window will open with the results.
4) Please, copy them and past it here

As Walker said, Windows and other applications (like SpyBot) encript files for protection even you do not ask for. Take it easy, it's normal.  8)

Den

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 05:09:31 PM »
Thanks for quick response. As it turns out I didn't have a checkmark in the Report box, thus the reason for knowing the answer. I am not copying the whole file because it appears way too big (24 pages). However , I have copied the first 20 lines which should suffice. The remainder of the file is all S & D files, and I assume all is in order.

avast! Report
* This file is generated automatically
* Task 'Simple user interface' used
* Started on Monday, December 22, 2003 10:04:58 AM

c:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\WIN98_58.CAB\classes.zip\java\util\Enumeration.class [E] The system cannot find the path specified (3)
c:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dan\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Advertisingcom.zip\dan@servedby.advertising[1].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
c:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dan\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Advertisingcom.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
c:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dan\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Advertisingcom1.zip\dan@advertising[1].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
c:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dan\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Advertisingcom1.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
c:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dan\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\AlexaRelated.zip\RELATED.HTM [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
c:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dan\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\AlexaRelated.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
c:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dan\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\AvenueAInc.zip\dan@atdmt[2].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
c:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dan\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\AvenueAInc.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
c:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dan\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\CometCursors.zip\CC_Off_2x.PNF [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
c:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dan\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\CometCursors.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
c:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dan\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\CometCursors1.zip\CC_Off_2x.inf [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
c:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dan\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\CometCursors1.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
c:\WINDOWS\Profiles\dan\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\CommissionJunction.zip\dan@qksrv[1].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 06:23:04 PM »
c:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\WIN98_58.CAB\classes.zip\java\util\Enumeration.class [E] The system cannot find the path specified (3)

The only 'strange' file is the one I selected. It seems a Windows 98 installation CAB file and, probably, it is a false postive. Anyway, avast! team must say something about and more precisely than my 'feeling'.

The other files are ok (all from SpyBot, password protected backups).

Den

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 04:23:35 AM »
Thanks for your help