Author Topic: Do you remember MS-DOS 1981 & 1994 version? Do you still use such commands?  (Read 1806 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Going back in time: https://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm   (link source Computer Hope)

I remember it from the days around the turn of the century, when I studied Microsoft NT4 server and the kernel.
In in our country hospitals and the transport sector had to roll out NT4 and MS offered official training.
Most of the then students were linux admins with years and years of experience.

I learned a lot during that frantic course, the certificate still hangs on the wall,
and I now wonder who of you still use the odd MS-DOS command from time to time,
like netstat -an given in from the command prompt for instance....

Anyone?

polonus
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:15:10 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I remember MS DOS and DR DOS, but absolutely years of no use you soon forget most of it.

Whilst there are some commands people use that they don't associate with DOS :)

One such command that the above link chkdsk, still used by many but not really associated with being MSDOS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
Rarely anymore, except maybe to register/unregister an unruly .dll.

Offline david.christie

Haven't used it directly for a while, but still have the manual for DOS 6 ! Sad or what..
Win7 SP1 64 bit
Avast Pro Antivrus

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
I got very good with up to MS-DOS 5.0 in early 1999 because the product on which I worked still used that.  But, then I changed jobs and there was no use for MS-DOS there.  Instead now the focus was on learning and using Windows 98.

I have not touched MS-DOS since and consequently, I have probably forgotten 90% of what I used to know.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000