Author Topic: avast on limited account  (Read 2951 times)

ycel

avast on limited account
« on: April 22, 2006, 05:00:31 AM »
hello, just a few questions...

1. how can i prevent limited accounts from disabling the on-access protection of avast! pro? it seems limited account can simply disable the on-access protection by default.

2. how can i prevent limited accounts from changing avast configurations?

3. i've also noticed in avast! pro that the data folder has full access to everyone! i've try to set the security permission, but still avast is reverting it back to full access. is it a bug? or there's some technical explanation why the data folder has full access for everyone.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast on limited account
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 05:06:31 AM »
1. how can i prevent limited accounts from disabling the on-access protection of avast! pro? it seems limited account can simply disable the on-access protection by default.
I'd like to know either  ::)

2. how can i prevent limited accounts from changing avast configurations?
Some of the configurations could be protected by the password you can set right clicking the 'a' blue ball and choosing the proper item.

3. i've also noticed in avast! pro that the data folder has full access to everyone! i've try to set the security permission, but still avast is reverting it back to full access. is it a bug? or there's some technical explanation why the data folder has full access for everyone.
Which avast version are you using?
Where did you install avast (path)?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 05:14:25 AM »
1. + 2. - set the access password in avast.

3. well, this is a feature of avast home/pro (the server/netclient editions don't do it, though).
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ycel

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 05:22:27 AM »
configurations could be protected by the password you can set right clicking the 'a' blue ball and choosing the proper item.

that's my way for now, but these way seems only a "workaround" for me  ;) for me, "limited accounts" should not have the right to meddle with avast! (with or without a password) since an antivirus is a critical part of a windows operating system. and one more thing is, limited user can also set a password for avast! what if i've not yet set a password and one of my users set a password which i don't know? that's one of the reason why imho limited account should not have the right to meddle with antivirus settings  :)

Which avast version are you using?

i've installed avast 4.6, and upgraded to 4.7 via iAVS update.

Where did you install avast (path)?

It's on the default location (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4) the DATA folder on that folder is fully accessible by everyone.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 05:24:36 AM »
Your points are valid ones - but on the other hand, you're probably not using the right avast package at the moment.

That is, avast Home/Pro was never intended for network deployment. That's what the netclient edition is for (managable via ADNM).

How many computers do you want to run avast on?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ycel

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 05:40:26 AM »
anyway this is only a home pc with some limited users in it (for my cousins, sisters and brothers). one point is the desktop protection would be useless if some of these users manage to get my avast! password [too much paranoia eh ;)] and i'm just worried since i don't have the control on how they use the internet. imho, even a home pc deserves to be secured just like corporate systems.

anyway i think the only workaround for now is to change my avast! password on a regular basis.

thanks for all your help  :)