Author Topic: Rescue disk keeps failing - Can't find a fix anywhere, and my computer needs it  (Read 3124 times)

REDACTED

OK, so my main computer, I heavily suspect of having a virus on it, this is because I do daily scans of my computer, and keep finding more and more 'infected files', even though nothing has been downloaded. I have tried all scans (full, smart, quick and boot). So I'm resorting to a rescue disk.

I looked online to find out how, and I see that I need a non-infected computer to create one, so I buy a 16GB memory stick, and plug it into my UN-infected Windows 7 computer.

So, I start up the rescue disk creation, take a shower, come back and it says that it failed to create a rescue disk. I was like "Ok, I'll download it on my brother's laptop (windows 10), next to the WiFi, so it doesn't get interrupted." So I do that, leave it overnight, and I come back and it says it failed again. With no logs, or reason why.

So, naturally I look online and I see that this bug has been around for AGES and that avast STILL HASN'T FIXED IT.

I saw that a common fix (that worked for others), which was to disable avast self-defence.

I tried it.

Guess what.

It didn't work m8.

I tried it with another memory stick.

Hey, guess what?

That didn't work either...

REDACTED

The name of the virus in the infected files is:
NSIS:ConvertAD-AK[adw]

The first full scan found 8 infected with this

The second found 6 infected with this and one PUP
(if you can't math this adds up to 12 infected files(sitting in the virus chest, thinking about what they did), and one PUP

(At the time of this post my computer is running a full scan

REDACTED

I can't do the scan on my computer.

After a little bit, the avast window will stop responding, and therfore stop scanning.
BTW, I can easily close avast with task manager, it seems the self-defence does nothing.

This is either an avast bug/error, or malware relentlessly attacking the program

REDACTED

Can someone reply to help me?

I'm quite fond of that computer....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:18:50 PM by SuperMagePRO5000 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Follow instructions  > https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=194892.0

create a topic in Viruses and Worms section and attach requested logs, then a malware expert will assist you ... when online 

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:50:57 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

Follow instructions  > https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=194892.0

create a topic in Viruses and Worms section and attach requested logs, then a malware expert will assist you ... when online 

This is helpful, but I have some things that are on my mind:

1) Are these links on your link 100% safe?
2) On my computer I can't connect to an internet page. This is not an issue with other device around my house, and I can use some WiFi required apps (such as League of Legends, but not steam and blizzard). The computer is connected with Ethernet BTW.
So does this mean that unless I can fix my problem with the internet, I won't be able to help my main computer.

ALSO. This windows 7 computer seems to be running the rescue disk installation well so far. It is a 25%, however it says that it is stopping the process, even though nothing is happening :|

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
1) Are these links on your link 100% safe?
Do i have to answer that    ::)

You are in avast support forum!
All malware experts listed in the guide are trained and certified at UNITE > https://uniteagainstmalware.com/

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:11:55 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

Sorry, but I wanted to be sure.

Also what about my second question?

And if the rescue disk downloads without error and I use it on my poor, ill, main computer, will i still need to do the other option?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Malware experts are notified and will reply when online

REDACTED

Ok, the rescue disk was downloaded.
Im going to boot up my main computer, run it, and hope for the best.  :-\

Also thanks for the reassurance about the malware experts.

REDACTED

Really computer.....

I've been following the steps to use the rescue disk, and my computer is in the Advanced Startup menu, and the button to use the USB isn't there.

I'm going to create a new topic post for this, so if anyone else who has this problem can find it, when the problem is fixed.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:18:20 PM by SuperMagePRO5000 »

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
hey is the usb put into the computer is my first question? second please stay with on topic open new ones wont help you faster.
small suggestion reboot your computer and hit f2 or f12 or witch button you have on your computer to be able to get into boot menu from there your usb should be there. chance the usb to first place save and reboot. does this solve the problem with the usb? after the reboot can you get a frst log from the guide that have been posted earlier in this topic?
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM